Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Help us help you by providing more information about the situation.

What engine is this?

How many miles on it?

Any recent work done on it or mods added that might affect the oiling system?

Does the oil level show on the dipstick?

Are there any oil leaks on the engine that leave drips/spots on the ground after it has been parked a while?

· Registered
5,725 Posts
Could just he a bad sensor, but from what I've seen they just go straight to 99psi when they fail.

Providing a little more info would maybe get you a little more help.

Reactions: Pose710

· Registered
2012 Dodge Charger 3.6 8 Speed Eco
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2012 3.6 8 speed eco with mid mufflers, cold air intake ,throttle response 146700 on the miles and no leaks just coolant reaches up to 249f and yes oil shows up on dip stick

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
2012 3.6 8 speed eco with mid mufflers, cold air intake ,throttle response 146700 on the miles and no leaks just coolant reaches up to 249f and yes oil shows up on dip stick
The oil cooler on that engine is prone to cracks and leaking, and that is also where the oil pressure sensor is mounted IIRC. Replacing the sensor may be all that’s needed here, and since the labor required to access it is the same as getting to the oil cooler, replacing both at the same time wouldnt be a bad idea.

Further, the oil cooler uses engine coolant to cool the oil, so checking it for coolant leaks while in there replacing the oil pressure sensor would be a good idea.

Who knows, maybe you’ll get lucky and solve several problems at once by replacing the oil cooler and pressure sensor…

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I didn’t know that I have a 12 SRT with the 5 spd
The SXT (and possibly the GT?) was the only trim that came with the ZF A8 that first year. Anything with the 3.6L basically, I think…

Anyway, I cannot remember if there was a reason Dodge gave for that limitation the first model year, but I do remember being very surprised by it when I first read about it.

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,130 Posts
The SXT (and possibly the GT?) was the only trim that came with the ZF A8 that first year. Anything with the 3.6L basically, I think…

Anyway, I cannot remember if there was a reason Dodge gave for that limitation the first model year, but I do remember being very surprised by it when I first read about it.
It didn’t make it paired with the v8s until 15 though right? They probably wanted to put it out there in the lower models to perfect any inconsistencies before throwing it in all of their models and especially the performance ones

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
It didn’t make it paired with the v8s until 15 though right? They probably wanted to put it out there in the lower models to perfect any inconsistencies before throwing it in all of their models and especially the performance ones
That may be the case for the v8 Chargers, makes sense I guess since the Challengers had to wait until 2015 also

· Registered
2021 Charger ScatPack WB
146 Posts
It’s a ZF8HP45 and thanks for the help everybody I think I figured it out
You should provide some feedback to what you found as it may help someone else down the road

· Registered
5,725 Posts

And yet you could still get the 3.6s with the 5 speed too if you wanted. All of the fleet cars we had at work were 2013 Pentastars with the 5 speed.

· Premium Member
3,131 Posts
IIRC:
The 8 speed became an option for the 3.6L civilian cars in '12. The V8 civilian kept the Nag1 5 speed until '15.
'14 to '15 was quite a transition year. The inside and exteriors were updated (Gen 1 to Gen 2), and the 8 speed became the standard for V8 civilian cars, and the AWD V8 option went away for the civilian cars. This is why mine is a '14, and not a '15. Finally, the Pursuits did not get the 8 speeds until '21. We heard at the MSP tests, that the fleet community was very happy with the reliability of the Nag1 in police service, and wanted more beta testing for the 8 speed before the Pursuits got them.

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts