Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Charger has been leaking oil for the past week and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I looked under it a weak ago and it seemed like the filter wasn't on tight. I screwed that back in and the leaks seemed to stop for a few days. Sadly the leaks are back. I haven't jacked the car back up yet so I'm not sure about the filter.

What should look for that could be causing this? If it is the filter what should I do as this would be the second time it came untightened?

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
this may be a stupid question, but are you SURE its not tranny fluid? My tranny fluid looked like oil when it dried on my concrete.

If its tranny fluid its an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, how can I tell the difference?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Not sure, how can I tell the difference?
The tranny fluid will look red when wet and oil will be brownish. Dry they look the same but when fresh you will know. I found out from pulling out of my driveway and finding a nice redish puddle which ended up being the o-ring on the transmission harness. Either way, I would take it to the dealership and let them deal with it. It's covered under a TSB.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The tranny fluid will look red when wet and oil will be brownish. Dry they look the same but when fresh you will know. I found out from pulling out of my driveway and finding a nice redish puddle which ended up being the o-ring on the transmission harness. Either way, I would take it to the dealership and let them deal with it. It's covered under a TSB.
Correct me if I am wrong, but just because a TSB is out for a component doesn't constitute a warranty replacement? If it is a recall, thats' a different issue. Granted, it makes sense that it would though

·
Registered
523 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but just because a TSB is out for a component doesn't constitute a warranty replacement? If it is a recall, thats' a different issue. Granted, it makes sense that it would though
If he is out of warranty then it is up to the dealership. I would guess they wouldn't pay for it like everything else but he should still be under warranty. Mine leaked at about 6K miles and they replaced it and knew exaclty what it was when I called in. The TSB just helps as some of the service managers seem to be a little re taw did.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should be under warrenty its 30k/3yr correct? It is tranny fluid. I'm about to call the dealer now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts