Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so just took of my CAI to put on an Airraid throtle body spacer and found oil stain on the bottom of my filter and a small amount of oil pooled up inside the CAI.

Now I should explain I have done some dumb stuff in my life. The most recent was I was detailing my engine bay and didn't want to get the Air filter wet so I covered with a plastic bag worked like a charm. Problem was I shut the hood and forgot to take it off. When I went for a test drive I heard a weird sucking sound and when I hit it, it just kinda booged down. Wasn't more than 1 block down the road. Thats how long it took me to realize what an IDIOT I was.

Now oil and sucked up into the CAI when this happened but I cleaned it all up and pushed the crushed filter back out. I thought it would be ok till the new filter came in but now I am a tad worried I don't want to do any damage to my engine. I am thinking that maybe it is not getting enough air thru the filter so it is sucking it in thru the oil vent tube. I guess my question will this be ok for a few more days till the new filter comes in or am I doing more damage trying to drive it?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I can't answer if you're okay driving like that for a few days, but I wonder if you (or someone else) have possibly changed the oil and poured in the fresh oil too quickly and it might have backed down the crankcase vent tube into the CAI. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
People still buy throttle body spacers ? :lol:

I found some oil in my Mopar CAI tube when I was still using the stock breather tube ...

I then switched to the small external breather filter and no more oil in the intake tube :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Gabe, isn't the flow of air supposed to go in the other direction (ie. from the intake tube into the engine)?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Gabe, isn't the flow of air supposed to go in the other direction (ie. from the intake tube into the engine)?
Normally it does, but every now and then it burps some backwards ....

For environmental reasons, it's supposed to be a closed system ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that will be my next mod LOL. As for the Throtle body spacer. I feel a differance and hear it as well. The exhaust got a tad bit louder. Plus the cool whistle effect:bigthumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Found oil in the same tube when I was installing my new CAI. Got nervous, then did some checking and discovered it's fairly common. Then I went..."Whew!"

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have found small amounts of oil in the CAI pipe as well. I might hafta look into the breather mod.
Gabe, where did you get the little breather filter?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I have found small amounts of oil in the CAI pipe as well. I might hafta look into the breather mod.

Gabe, where did you get the little breather filter?
The filter itself I got at the local Autozone ... it's made by Spectre, which had their own little section in an aisle ... all kinds of connectors and filters to pretty much make your own CAI :)

I attached the filter to the plastic connector that came with my original CAI, the Mopar unit, and then I used a small crankcase hose to attach the connector / breather filter assembly to the intake manifold ...

Here's a better shot :) :

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Do you guys clamp the vent breather hose with hose pinch-off plies when you change the oil? When the oil is poured into the motor some gets in the vent tube...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, I like that little breather idea, I never looked in my CAI, but when I took off my factory air box, I saw some oil in there, guess that the way it works, huh...I wonder if that oil gets sucked into the intake if it would hurt performance or clog anything up?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, I like that little breather idea, I never looked in my CAI, but when I took off my factory air box, I saw some oil in there, guess that the way it works, huh...I wonder if that oil gets sucked into the intake if it would hurt performance or clog anything up?
That is what I was worried about

1 - 13 of 13 Posts