Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to add my first DIY oil change experience. I know there has been lots of chat on accuracy of dipstick reading, how long it's necessary to allow motor to drain, etc.

I had two oil changes so far, both at a local shop that does clean, professional work. Both times the mechanic let my car sit and drain for at least 15-20 minutes, and using a stock size filter, filled it with 7qts. Both times the dipstick reads about a half to a full quart high. I chocked it up to the dipstick not being 100% accurate, as others here have done. Last night I changed it myself. I let it drain for two hours with the front end jacked up. I then dropped it to the ground, and let it drain another two hours (another half quart or so came out in the last two hours!). I then put on the Wix #51773 larger filter, and filled it with 7.5 quarts, ran it for a while, and checked the oil. For the first time, it reads right at the full line. You really do have to let these things drain for a long time. Another good reason to DIY I guess.

I am wondering how I will remove this WIX filter next change next change. I did not over tighten it, but if I can't turn it by hand how am I going to remove it. There is no room for a band filter wrench, and these filters don't have the [flutes?] on the end to fit the other style filter wrench.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hmmm... the only thing i can think of to suggest is working out between now and the next oil change when u will have to remove the filter.:lol: i kno what ur talking about, i changed my oil 2 weeks ago and it wouldnt be easy to get a wrench on that filter

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping there is some other style filter wrench out there there that grips the bottom of filters without flutes. If there is, someone out there in chargerforums land will know about it.

I would just start working out, but gym people annoy me. :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So you bumped up to the 1 quart filter? I've done about 4 changes so far with the 1 quart and haven't had any difficulty removing it with the strap wrench.

I wouldn't worry as long as you put it on about 1/2 turn past hand tight. :)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I let mine drain for a good 20 minutes and put in 7 quarts and it was right at the full line...

but then again I did it with the engine oil warm too, about 200*...came out fast!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you bumped up to the 1 quart filter? I've done about 4 changes so far with the 1 quart and haven't had any difficulty removing it with the strap wrench.

I wouldn't worry as long as you put it on about 1/2 turn past hand tight. :)
Good to hear. I didn't think there would be enough room in there for the strap type.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The stock filter uses a "#1 Ol Filter Wrench FloTool". Basically looks like a shallow socket for your oil filter. Fits onto a ratchet and slides over the bottom of the filter, twists it off without any sort of problems whatsoever. Take an extra filter with you to a parts store, or snag one off the shelf there, and find one of these "sockets" that fits on the end. They are cheap too, only $5.99 Canadian over here.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
if you put your old oil into the new oil containers you can measure how much oil is coming out. just drain it into a big pan (fumoto valve with nipple helps).

·
Registered
410 Posts
The stock filter uses a "#1 Ol Filter Wrench FloTool". Basically looks like a shallow socket for your oil filter. Fits onto a ratchet and slides over the bottom of the filter, twists it off without any sort of problems whatsoever. Take an extra filter with you to a parts store, or snag one off the shelf there, and find one of these "sockets" that fits on the end. They are cheap too, only $5.99 Canadian over here.
This is what they used on mine... giant socket wrench...

·
Registered
628 Posts
All 5.7 and 6.1 engines that I work on I let drain for about 15 minutes and it comes out. 7 quarts leaves it perfect...then again this is Florida so it's always nice and warm, so it streams out just nicely

·
Registered
502 Posts
There used to be a kind of filter you could get with a large nut welded onto the end of it. I can't remember the brand but it sure was easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts