Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil today and found an issue with the dipstick. It won't go down all the way into the tube. It sticks up a bit.

Is this something that anyone else has seen before? I am not really worried about it, I just adjusted how I read the full mark by how much it sticks up.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of how it sits in the dipstick tube.

Attachments

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Here is a picture of how it sits in the dipstick tube.
Yes, there is a problem. The little black o-ring is a seal against dirt and dust. If that isn't seated correctly you are going to get all kinds of dirt and dust down the tube. Pull it out and reinstall....maybe backwards if necessary. Get that O-ring down.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just push it in harder....

...or like 370 said, pull it out and reorient it.
It really needs to sit in flush to seal and to read correct levels.
My dipstick does that sometimes when the engine is hot. Try when cold.
Or you could add apply a small bit of petroleum jelly around the yellow o-ring area and reinsert.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Pull it back out and clean the yellow part and the o-ring. Then lube it with a little motor oil. Also try turning it 180° before re-inserting into the tube.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I went out and pulled it out, cleaned all around the yellow part, gave it a swipe of the oil that was on the end of the dipstick and pushed it back down. I was able to twist it around and get it to seat down all the way, but it is very hard to pull back out. Hopefully it doesn't create an issue when I check the oil next time to pull it out.

On another note, I did a good job of adjusting for the full line before getting the stick all the way in, it's right on the full mark!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Ok, I went out and pulled it out, cleaned all around the yellow part, gave it a swipe of the oil that was on the end of the dipstick and pushed it back down. I was able to twist it around and get it to seat down all the way, but it is very hard to pull back out. Hopefully it doesn't create an issue when I check the oil next time to pull it out.

On another note, I did a good job of adjusting for the full line before getting the stick all the way in, it's right on the full mark!
The dipstick is easier to pull or replace if the tube is warm/hot since the diameter of the opening increases with temperature. Always be sure to twist it back and forth a few times before pulling (and twist while pulling) to loosen it up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will keep that in mind when I check the oil.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Great advice just in case this happens with my oil dipstick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts