Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new around here - been reading for a couple of weeks - lots of great people and information!

A question for you experts. I drive 3,000 miles\month for work (sales) - combination of highway and city. I was thinking about using synthetic (Mobil 1) and changing oil every 4,500 miles. Good idea or not? I would rather not have to change my oil every 3,000 miles. Any other thoughts or recommendations? Oh, and what about the filter - should it be replaced at every oil change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
LGCMan said:
Hi,

I'm new around here - been reading for a couple of weeks - lots of great people and information!

A question for you experts. I drive 3,000 miles\month for work (sales) - combination of highway and city. I was thinking about using synthetic (Mobil 1) and changing oil every 4,500 miles. Good idea or not? I would rather not have to change my oil every 3,000 miles. Any other thoughts or recommendations? Oh, and what about the filter - should it be replaced at every oil change?

Thanks!

I would do synthetic every 3k. Considering how much the car costs oil isnt somewhere to cut corners IMO.

BTW, Welcome !

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
LGCMan said:
Hi,

Thanks!
I would definately change the filter every oil change. As far as miles between changes you'll get a lot of different opinions. IMO 4,500 miles between changes with synthetic shouldn't hurt you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
With synthetic oil and putting on 3,000 miles/month - 5k-6k change intervals should not hurt you at all. (I change mine every 5k cuz its easy to remember)

Easy thing to do would be change it in 5k miles (with filter) and then have an oil analysis done. that way there is no guesswork - you know what you are dealing with and facts rather than guesswork to make your decision with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I worked at the dealership I was reading about oils and the oil CO. say that oil will not start breaking down until about 10,000 miles. I would not at all recomend this but 5,000 would be the max. I change mine from 3 to 5,000 miles depending on fuel mileage and who the car is performing. This 3,000 mile thing is oil and car CO. helping each other out. Did you know that the oil that the dealership uses that says mopar, motorcraft, GM is never the same oil. They take the less bid that the oil Co. will give every year. It may be the same Co. from year to year but if someone else steps in and gives a lower bid then they change. Thats why it is good to chose a good oil and stick with it. Don't keep changing different oil. Mobil 1 is great and will help your engine last longer. And yes change your oil filter evey time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go synthetic starting with the first change at 3,000 miles and every 4,500 after that. I like the oil analysis idea too. Probably try that as well.

Now to find the best prices on Mobil 1.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you really want to get out of doing oil changes switch to a long life synthetic like Amsoil. 25,000 miles between oil changes..

I have been using it in my truck for 90,000 miles, runs great, good power, no oil usage. The initial cost isn't cheap ($65+tax) but you won't need to change it for a year.

Yes, I know there will be naysayers. But the stuff works..so just chill before you start posting your flame comments. There are lots of big companies and government agencies that use it.

Amsoil is the whole reason Mobile started offering a 15,000 mile synthetic...they were loosing market share. There are

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know if it's still the practice, but when my old man was in the Air Force. He told me that all they used in the Jet engines is synthetic oil. I figure...if it's good enough for a F-16, then it must be good enough for my car.

So he continued to explain that the rep for Mobil 1 used to come by and talk to them and he asked the rep if the ads for the synthetic oil were true and that you didn't have to change your oil for a year or 24,000 miles. The rep said that yes it's absolutely true. But for the sake of your warranty, you should probably change it at about every 7,000 miles. Otherwise the dealer will blame your lack of oil change for just about anything.

So there you have it. You don't NEED to change your oil every 3K on synthetic. I switched to synthetic and am going to use the alternate schedule in my log book.

·
Registered
224 Posts
superdart said:
If you really want to get out of doing oil changes switch to a long life synthetic like Amsoil. 25,000 miles between oil changes.
If you use the Amsoil 5w-20 the change schedual is only 7,500 miles. (as quoted by Amsoil)

Not for or against Amsoil personally, just wanted the information clear for the oil we need to use in the 5.7 engines.

Michael

(IMO - until the car is out of warrantee I would not exceed the 6,000 mile recommended change interval anyway. I know it is not supposed to matter, but if there is a problem - you want every bit of evidence you can get on your side.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just keep one thing in mind. Amsoil has a marketing program like few have. In my opinion and many others there marketing program is more of the reason that their oils are so successful then the fact the oil is so great.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just keep one thing in mind. Amsoil has a marketing program like few have. In my opinion and many others there marketing program is more of the reason that their oils are so successful then the fact the oil is so great.
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the OP for this thirteen-year-old post, who hasn't been seen here in nine years, will stop back someday and read it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the OP for this thirteen-year-old post, who hasn't been seen here in nine years, will stop back someday and read it.
If they do, maybe they could share how their choice - M1 apparently - worked out long term for them. The car should have around 480,000 miles on it by now if they still have it and they stuck with the information given in their two posts.;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Posting on a threat that is 13 years old?
Yeah. The new member did. Then CTCarl, Me, and you.. and now me again just had to...But it would be interesting if members from way back then would check in and provide their long term experiences...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just another example of this shit forum software probably returning useless and ancient results to people.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Some of these old threads are comical.

Post #10: " my old man was in the Air Force. He told me that all they used in the Jet engines is synthetic oil. I figure...if it's good enough for a F-16, then it must be good enough for my car. "

I would like to know how his car performed on MIL-L-7808 oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts