Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I changed my oil this weekend as I have done so many times but this time was different. I had bought my oil the day before. Well anyway I take the time to jack my car up put it on the stands remove the plastic shielding from under the engine and guess what. I realize I forgot to actually warm up my car. Anyway I'm wondering if it's possible I didn't get all the oil out. I let it drain for 45 mins cuz it was cold. Now when my engine is warmed up my oil pressure is at 22psi, which I think is a little high. Cold my oil pressure at idle is 54psi. Looking at my dipstick it doesn't look like I overfilled. There is a slight bit of oil on the upper part of the dipstick, but it only looks like it's concentrated in the actual part of the dipstick that's marked "safe".

Does it sound like I overfilled my oil, or should I be ok?

Ooops forgot to add I used Mobil 1 5w20 so I did use the right weight.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Did you put in 7 quarts? My pressure is the same so that is not odd.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7.5 quarts. Ok I just remember it being lower before. I get paranoid, but it feels fine and no white smoke, just the little bit from that initial few drops I dropped on the engine.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
You should be fine. Also - remember that there is a tolerence for 'excessive' oil - if you are just over the safe - you're not going to blow the engine to kingdom-come. I would suspect that you'd need to be a good 1/2 - 1 inch over the line before there is a risk of that! :)

And no - you might not have got it all out with the engine cold - but you're prolly talking about 1/8 to a 1/4 quart difference MAX!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
And no - you might not have got it all out with the engine cold - but you're prolly talking about 1/8 to a 1/4 quart difference MAX!
Actually, with this low viscosity oil, warm or cold, it will drain just fine. Best to not even start the car if possible and change it cold. This way all the oil is in the pan from sitting overnight, and not waiting for all the oil to trickle back to the pan.

Now with the car on stands, sitting on about a 10-20 degree angle, not sure if the drain plug will be at the lowest point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.