Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok went to go do my oil change today.first it started bad.i found out my ramps dont fit in the front so i have to squeeze under the car.then checked the manual for how much oil to buy(it said 6 qts).went to autozone and bought valvoline syn 5w-20 and a fram oil filter. then started the process it was a b1tch to get the oil filter off(broke my oil filter wrench and got some battle wounds in the process). then put the new oil filter in and the drain bolt and added the oil. did my friends oil trick to add the oil in the filter.started the car for 10 mins. then let the car sit for like 2 hours to check the oil and it was a WTF!!! moment. the oil was WAY to high and i put in exactly 6 qts in. so a word of warning to all of u. if the manual says 6 qts put in 5 qts turn the engine on and shut it off right away(friends trick to fill oil filter) then wait 2 hours for the oil to set in and check the oil level or ur going to have a fun time tring to drain just a qt of oil from the drain bolt

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I just read your charger is a 2.7 the 3.5 might take 6 qt's I'm not sure but I kno the 5.7 takes...7

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The 2.7 takes 6 Qts,w/filter.Your problem was you didnt have the front of your car lifted to drain all the oil out.Changing oil on flat ground is not going to drain all the oil.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did it in a pretty steep hill but i dont think that would affect it that much. i mean the drain bolt is at the very bottom of the oil pan and i let it sit for a long time while i went to autozone

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is no need to let is sit for hours before you check the oil. Start it up, wait for the oil pressure to build (30 sec or so), shut it off and check it like a minute later.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If you're looking for ease of removing an oil filter in the future... check out the K&N filters. That one in nut they welded to the bottom makes removal easy.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
put a couple pieces of 2x6 in front of the ramps.

Di you by some chance check the oil level before changing the oil?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 2.7 takes 6 Qts,w/filter.Your problem was you didnt have the front of your car lifted to drain all the oil out.Changing oil on flat ground is not going to drain all the oil.

When the dealership drains the oil the lift is level. Are you saying that they are all wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Ummm no matter what you do you will NEVER get every bit of oil out of tge system for a regular oil change. Get some low pro ramps and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
wait a minute...you filled your new oil filter with oil then screwed it on to the engine, and then you added 6 quarts?

if so, then thats why your dipstick is reading high.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
ya if it wasnt on flat ground the oil wouldnt drain out of the valleys
hmm - every oil change place i have ever seen - including the dealership is level. i dont think that the "valleys" would account for an extra quart - unless the op's car was lower in the front then the back. never seen a 6cyl oil pan but mine (5.7) the drain plug is a pretty good spot for a level drain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You'll never drain all of the oil out. 6 quarts is total capacity. You added 6 quarts to what was left in there.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Not to be an a$$

I'm just wondering why you are using synthetic 5W-20 on a 2.7?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts