Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I haven't seen a nice flame fest on here in a while.

I've used Mobil 1 for over 8 years now. My 5.7 Hemi used it. My 392 uses it. My ex-wife's Infitini uses it. The 392 and the Infiniti use MB1 0w-40.

I change them both at the recommended intervals on the dash/owner's manual. For the 392 it's usually between 5,000-7,000 miles. Her Infiniti is 10,000 miles.

The Mobile 1 container says 15,000 miles. It has an asterisk that says for warranty reasons follow the owner's manual.

When I change the oil in the Infiniti at 10k miles, which is what the manual recommends, it's dirty.

When I change the oil in the 392 at the interval, its still semi-clear.

Both vehicles are out of warranty so that's a non-issue. Both have used MB1 exclusively.

Conventional oil used to be 3k miles. Most synthetics are over 5k miles. Several advertise over 10k miles.

I won't do it, but I'm guessing I could go at least 15k miles on a change and not suffer any consequences. Even at 148k miles.

Please discuss.

• Haha
Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You're trying to poke the hornet nest here eh?

I'd say for most cars if you use a good filter and good synthetic oil and you check the oil level (for those cars that consume 1 quart every 3k-5k miles) yes you probably could go 15k miles but I wouldn't go over a year so it can't be 15k miles of stop and go city driving spread over 30 months...

With COVID I'm not going to the office like I used to so my mileage is way down... I'm likely going to do annual changes until that changes.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
The only thing Mobile 1 is good for is deep frying turkeys.

• Haha
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're trying to poke the hornet nest here eh?

I'd say for most cars if you use a good filter and good synthetic oil and you check the oil level (for those cars that consume 1 quart every 3k-5k miles) yes you probably could go 15k miles but I wouldn't go over a year so it can't be 15k miles of stop and go city driving spread over 30 months...

With COVID I'm not going to the office like I used to so my mileage is way down... I'm likely going to do annual changes until that changes.
I put an average of 17,500k miles on a year.

I check the oil level several times a week and I don't burn a drop.

Again, I won't do it, but I am guessing I could go 15k miles and it would be a non-issue.

There's guys on here who still change at 3k with full synthetic.

I'm not arguing one way or another, I just think it could be done.

Pennzoil, AMSoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, whatever.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I read the part about the flame fest so off of the beat and path I went. Now that I read all of your post it ends with "please discuss". Dang it.

Mobile 1 is fine I guess but I only used the Penn Ultra Plat 0w-40 in the scat when I owned it and changed oil every 6,000 which was about every other month worth of driving. Nickle and dimed me to death with that pricey Pennzoil elixir if I couldn't kit it off eBay or Amazing Dot Com.

I use Penn platinum in the Pentastar Jeeparoo. I used to change it every 7500 but with the recent oil change I decided I am going to go the full 10k miles.

The wife's ToyYoter gets whatever full synthetic the dealership uses and gets changed every 10k miles even though the beast (car) can probably survive 12 or 13k changes without harm. I just get tired of resetting the maintenance reminder light that goes off every 5k. Damn floor mats are the only reason it goes off every 5k. I'm cheap so I drive to the dealership at the first maintenance reminder after the oil change so they can donthe free floor mat hold down inspection - - as well as decline their attempt to upsell me on a cabin filter, engine air filter, tire rotation, windshield wipers blah blah while I stuff myself with their free coffee and donuts in the waiting area.

The HD gets the good stuff and an expensive filter.

The Mustang gets the Motorcraft SynBlend stuff and I change it every 5k.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You know good and well what this is going to turn into as soon as someone sees it lmao

I would go to 10k on it, but not anymore than that. That's just the old school in me trying to die a hard death. My car doesn't see 10k miles a year so I do mine once a year, unless I'm racing it a lot, then obviously more often. Also run Mobile 1 in it because the builder said to lol

My "Toy car" is a Toyota 86 GT. The manual recommends 13k between changes...that ain't happening. The car is 2 years old and only has 8600 miles on it and THAT is with a trip to NC and back which usually translates into 3500-4000 miles total. It gets changed once a year as well.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know good and well what this is going to turn into as soon as someone sees it lmao

I would go to 10k on it, but not anymore than that. That's just the old school in me trying to die a hard death. My car doesn't see 10k miles a year so I do mine once a year, unless I'm racing it a lot, then obviously more often. Also run Mobile 1 in it because the builder said to lol

My "Toy car" is a Toyota 86 GT. The manual recommends 13k between changes...that ain't happening. The car is 2 years old and only has 8600 miles on it and THAT is with a trip to NC and back which usually translates into 3500-4000 miles total. It gets changed once a year as well.
He hasn't interjected himself in quite a while. He gave me a liter of his ACES IV for free to try, so I commend him for that. I noticed nothing, and did not purchase. That being said, to each their own.

If my 392 wasn't my DD, I'd go 15k.

Reactions: Punisher69

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,367 Posts
I get 8 oil changes with my agreement with my car at the dealership. I have 8112 miles on it now and I have changed it twice. So I'm averaging around 4k miles. Once I'm done for the season at the dragstrip, I'll fall to 5-7k miles between oil changes. I don't daily drive it so it sits more than it drives.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I average less than 3K miles a year. I get one oil change (full synthetic) a year which keeps my warranty good.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I go 4K or 5 months as not to have a warranty problem on the 392 which is 6k or 6 months.
The Stealership charges me 104 for oil and filter using the recommended Pennzoil oil.
Oil is 10 bucks a quart takes 7 qts plus the filter so it saves me from doing it myself.
Besides my days of working on the ground are over 😱

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
For my .02:
Not a thing wrong with Mobil 1. It may not be what it once was, but I am confident it's still pretty good for the money.
Use of the oem equivalent filter (or better), is a must. As others have said, the OLM on my Charger has never activated on my watch. I don't put enough miles on it in a year. If I did, I would have no problem going by it. The default is an oil/filter change no less than once a year. That is what I have my dealer do, with the oem 899 filter, and Pennzoil Ultra.
I buy 3 oil/filter changes at a time, and get them for $53 per. They do their inspection, rotate the tires, dispose of the old stuff, and document everything in the computer in case the Lifetime MaxCare is needed.

Re the Supertech, the risk, and the few dollars saved, are not worth it, to me.
A 5 qt jug* of the Pennzoil Ultra, or Mobil 1, and the oem filter are less than $30. A dealer installed 5.7 can run up to $10k. Even with the MaxCare as a safety net, who wants their car tied up for who knows how long, and how many scratches/dents or other damage it will pickup while they have it.

(*Recalling that the 5.7 holds 7 qts)

Don

Reactions: 1ian20

·
Registered
2013 Charger RT Road and Track
311 Posts
I change my oil @ about 3500 miles and I run Castrol magnetic oil 5/30 just a personal preference. With a Mopar filter on both of my cars.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
My recipe for the hemi was Rotella T6 5W-40 about every 7500 miles with Fram Ultra XG2 filter. No muss, no fuss and all available at Wallyworld.

I haven't seen mister pixie dust in a very long time. Seems like he found greener pastures.

Best,

• Haha
Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
480 Posts
For my .02:
Not a thing wrong with Mobil 1. It may not be what it once was, but I am confident it's still pretty good for the money.
Use of the oem equivalent filter (or better), is a must. As others have said, the OLM on my Charger has never activated on my watch. I don't put enough miles on it in a year. If I did, I would have no problem going by it. The default is an oil/filter change no less than once a year. That is what I have my dealer do, with the oem 899 filter, and Pennzoil Ultra.
I buy 3 oil/filter changes at a time, and get them for $53 per. They do their inspection, rotate the tires, dispose of the old stuff, and document everything in the computer in case the Lifetime MaxCare is needed.

Re the Supertech, the risk, and the few dollars saved, are not worth it, to me.
A 5 qt jug of the Pennzoil Ultra, or Mobil 1, and the oem filter are less than $30. A dealer installed 5.7 can run up to $10k. Even with the MaxCare as a safety net, who wants their car tied up for who knows how long, and how many scratches/dents or other damage it will pickup while they have it.

Don
Walmart doesn’t make supertech oil. It’s just their bottle. Last time I checked pennzoil was making it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Which Infiniti do you have? I had always used Mobil 1 5W-30 in mine, with the 3.7's anyway..

I've used Mobil 1 exclusively for nearly a decade in all of my performance motors, bikes & cars. I'm a big fan and I've had no reason to think otherwise. I'll never forget the first time I had switched from whatever garbage the dealership used (in the car when I had purchased it; I never go to the dealer myself for maintenance) in my 350z to the Mobil 1 full synthetic..it was like the car was granted a new life.

I think more times than not, the oil change intervals are conservative. I believe the other issue is that you really don't recognize any "issues" until it is far down the road and often too late. This is why these things are known as maintenance items. Obviously, it absolutely depends on the specific vehicles and it's conditions as well. My rule of thumb is typically change the oil at about 5K (for the full synthetic). Though I do believe it is rated for 10k miles. Oil isn't that expensive and it gives me a piece of mind. I also am one to stretch the legs on my cars, not beat on them, but they do get driven as they should.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts