Charger Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,034 Posts
Thats a pretty good price, it costs me $35 for 7 quarts of Penzoil Ultra platinum, plus 5 ish for a filter . You will get charged for 2 extra quarts anywhere from $10 -25 more.

I usually regret getting it serviced, they usually put some rinky dink filter on there, hopefully the dealership would use a Mopar one. But you will get the baby MO-409 vs the larger MO-899
one for sure
I presumed that cost was for 0W-40 since the OP was about the 6.4L engine, however later you mention buying 5W-20. Just to clarify, which oil was the $35 for because 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is usually about $8 - $10 per quart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
IMO it's not worth changing your own oil if dealer coupons are always offering these by simply visiting their website. I'm pretty sure nobody bothers to check because from what I've seen, people always pay full price and I'm the only one handing over a coupon.

It's what I've done for every single oil change for my previous challenger scat, when I actually had to drive to work it was not a big deal. I'd come in when I reach 6k or the oil life monitor is close to 0%.

Now I'm butthurt that I have to come in at 6 months with 1k miles on the oil and have to waste my time.

Product Font Line Automotive lighting Material property

·
Registered
296 Posts
I presumed that cost was for 0W-40 since the OP was about the 6.4L engine, however later you mention buying 5W-20. Just to clarify, which oil was the $35 for because 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is usually about $8 - $10 per quart.
Penzoil ultra platinum $25 for a 5 quart jug, or $125 for a 3 pack.... Math must not be strong there, Hopefully not fake ...

Last 2 I used of the MO-041 filters leaked, now I wonder if they were fake, could have just been a bad batch or just old, looks like they not really available now??

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,034 Posts
Penzoil ultra platinum $25 for a 5 quart jug, or $125 for a 3 pack.... Math must not be strong there, Hopefully not fake ...

Last 2 I used of the MO-041 filters leaked, now I wonder if they were fake, could have just been a bad batch or just old, looks like they not really available now??

Math is fine. But there's a significance retail price difference between the Pennzoil UP 0W-40 and 5W-20.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Math is fine. But there's a significance retail price difference between the Pennzoil UP 0W-40 and 5W-20.
$25 each x3 is $75. 3 pack box is $125 …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
It used to be (and maybe still is) - particularly for the auto industry - that for a warranty claim to be legally enforceable, the provider of the warranty would also be required for any expense to maintain the warranty to it's end of coverage. If that has changed, then I would think that from a legal standpoint they would be required to put such a disclaimer in writing in a document that you would have to legally sign - such as a stipulation in a sales contract.
That said, I doubt you'll find such a requirement.

Consider the following (unavoidable, or inherent) conditions requiring routine oil changes (this is just the "what" since the "why" is a whole 'nuther topic):
  • Mileage. This is the easiest to define and track. Obviously this is by far the most important consideration in determining when to change your oil - or not. There are 2 components to this - wear and degradation. Since there is no such thing as a friction-free engine, there will be a buildup of contamination of material of anything that the oil has contact with (pistons, rings, cylinder walls, oil pump internals (casing, impeller/gear, etc.), lifters, engine block (where the oil flows through), bearings, camshafts, crankshafts, piston wrist pins, piston skirts, oil hoses and coolers, superchargers, and so on. Mileage related degradation occurs when the oil is scorched (or carbonized) comes in contact with hot surfaces - such as the oil plenums in cylinder heads and blocks and turbochargers. Carbonization is abrasive, so you can figure out the rest.
  • Age. This is a small consideration in comparison to mileage, but it is the only factor in duration or time based oil changes. Oil and filter media degrade. As oil sits inside a closed system, the pH of the oil can change - causing it to become mildly corrosive. Also, the filter media itself can begin to lose its physical integrity and start breaking up - releasing bits of the media and any other contaminants that it has already trapped - into the oil.
  • The oil itself. Of course, manufacturers proport that their oil is the best for your car, but that is not necessarily the truth. There are several readily-accessible aftermarket options that are an improvement over OEM. You can pay out the nose for brands like Red Line, Royal Purple, etc. A more moderate concession are brands like Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Mobil 1 has stepped to the place in increasing their designed oil/filter change intervals, but they haven't been the leader on this front. Compare it to Amsoil who have had extended interval products available for decades, and Mobil 1 is just recently starting to catch up. I've been using Amsoil extended interval oil and filters for all my cars for almost 20 years now. At first I was skeptical about their claims, so for the first 3 (annual) oil changes I send the used oil samples out for independent analysis - each coming back with contamination/degradation so minimal that their summary was that the oil was in good enough condition to continue usage and resample at the next scheduled interval.
  • The oil manufacturer. Most of my experience is with Amsoil. If I had to pick a single reason why I've stuck with them, it's because they have their own guarantee that if you use their oil/filter as they recommend (such as 1 year or 25,000 miles for certain products) and their product/recommendations are the cause of your engine failure - they'll repair or replace your engine. 'Nuff said.
I am not affiliated with Amsoil other than using their products. While my research hasn't been exhaustive by a long shot, I have yet to see anyone meet their standards for their level of product.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I need to change my oil this week after another 1000 miles. Did you actually find where Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 is $25 a jug? Your link is 5w20. I've seen pennzoil platinum, not ultra though. Heck, show me a jug at all. I've seen 6pk of quarts for $45, usually around $50, and singles are around $10. Far as I know, they don't package our SRT oil in big jugs. My warranty is about up, considering switching to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The SRT Pennzoil 0W-40 only comes in quart bottles, no jugs.

After 3 years, I switched to Mobil 1. It's SN rated so still fulfills the basic part of the recommended oil and have never heard of anyone being denied an engine repair because they went away from MS-12633.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts