Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that dodge can deny warranty if you don't change your 6.4L oil every 6k or 6mo whichever comes first. Is that BS or what? My service advisor said so, but my previous one said it isn't BS.

My car's only got 22xx miles in a year, and has had 2 oil changes because of this language in the manual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For me, I follow the manual, I dont want any issues in the future. I have had 3 oil changes so far. First was at 1k then followed the manual at 6 months. I have 9k miles in the first yr.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah working from home resulted in me getting 6 month oil changes at 1k miles each. kinda dumb

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Personally, I tend to change the oil/filter at 7500 miles or a year (whichever comes first). For me, that's probably still too often since I use quality synthetic oil and good filters, but I can't be bothered to deal with the rigamarole around getting the oil analyzed to make sure.

Best,

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I change it every 6/mo for warranty purposes. Once warranty is over, I'll go by the oil life monitor.

It was nice changing my oil once a year on my 5.7L using Mobil 1 Extended Performance (guaranteed to last 15k miles) since I didn't commute far.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Realistically there's no way for them to provr or disprove you've changed your oil on time, done it properly and used the correct oil. They can't void your warranty for you doing your own oil changes. The last time I actually read a warranty agreement there was nothing in there about you having to record everything either.

Service managers are scaring you guys into unnecessary but profitable maintenance.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You can do your own oil changes just keep your receipts for the proper oil and records on when you changed your oil.
For the price my dealership charges its not worth my time or effort to do my own changes.
They charge me 106 parts and labor so if I ever have a problem it’s on them. I consider it cheap Insurance.
6 months or 6k doesn’t bother me
Considering I drive a bad azz ride !!!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
You have to have receipts showing that you at least bought the oil and filter. Whether you actually change it or not is up to you.

The Owner's Manual says to use the log provided in the Manual to record your services and save the receipts and they are firm on the 6-month rule. There's many statements in there saying it's your responsibility to maintain your vehicle and in the event of a dispute that you will be required to show proof.

So I wouldn't poke the bear. At least keep a record and have some receipts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
You can do your own oil changes just keep your receipts for the proper oil and records on when you changed your oil.
For the price my dealership charges its not worth my time or effort to do my own changes.
They charge me 106 parts and labor so if I ever have a problem it’s on them. I consider it cheap Insurance.
6 months or 6k doesn’t bother me
Considering I drive a bad azz ride !!!!
It's actually REALLY expensive insurance, but then again....it's Chrysler...where having some percentage of hemi customers that have lifters eating themselves and taking out a cam lobe within low single digit years of sale happens.

Best,

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,031 Posts
Use a coupon.
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
294 Posts
Put it this way, does the dealer go and change the oil on all the cars over 6 months old on the lot??
OTOH, the 6 month rule make sense for a daily driver which doesn't hit 5000 miles in a year. Consider the number of heat up cycles, slowly building up moisture in the oil not getting driven off.

Garage queens probably can go for yearly changes once the factory warranty is done

·
Registered
294 Posts
Use a coupon.
View attachment 301809
Thats a pretty good price, it costs me $35 for 7 quarts of Penzoil Ultra platinum, plus 5 ish for a filter . You will get charged for 2 extra quarts anywhere from $10 -25 more.

I usually regret getting it serviced, they usually put some rinky dink filter on there, hopefully the dealership would use a Mopar one. But you will get the baby MO-409 vs the larger MO-899
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive design

one for sure

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Put it this way, does the dealer go and change the oil on all the cars over 6 months old on the lot??
OTOH, the 6 month rule make sense for a daily driver which doesn't hit 5000 miles in a year. Consider the number of heat up cycles, slowly building up moisture in the oil not getting driven off.

Garage queens probably can go for yearly changes once the factory warranty is done
Very true but Dodge doesn't start the 6-month clock until it's sold.

I kept up with the 6-month for 3 years then I went to the once a year Mobil 1 that I use for everything else.

The 6-month is an SRT thing and they just assume everyone is driving these cars hard but is obviously, not the case.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
@ Asharus:
Congrats on being a SP owner. To paraphrase JG Wentworth, "It's your car, so do what you want with it." Consider though, that a new 6.4L engine installed at your fav dealer runs in the neighborhood of $10k. Are you comfortable with writing that check, should an internal engine issue arise during the warranty period? Unless you have documentation that proper maintenance has been done, you run that risk.

I have the R/T model, so thankfully I am only required to have 1 oil change per year, or when the OLM indicates. I purchase 3 oil changes at a time, for $160 and change. The dealer does it once a year, and gets to dispose of the old oil and filter. The service is also entered into their system, for future reference should a claim arise that should be covered under the Lifetime MaxCare.

As an interesting comparison, I have learned that the $1,000,000+ Bugatti Veyron's oil service is $21k at the local dealer. A set of new tires for that car, runs $30k mounted and balanced.
My thought is, if one can afford the car, one can probably can afford the proper service. If not, maybe it was not a wise purchase to begin with.

We have seen here that a brake job on the SRT cars with their 2 piece rotors, can run $2k+ per axle.
Same scenario applies IMO?

Don

Reactions: BlueScat510

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Having worked for dealerships for over 40 years you really need to keep great records if you plan on keeping your warranty.
I fiquare 106 bucks every six months is cheap insurance.
Considering what I pay for car insurance,homeowners,umbrella and now CCW insurance it’s a bargain 😉

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,031 Posts
Thats a pretty good price, it costs me $35 for 7 quarts of Penzoil Ultra platinum, plus 5 ish for a filter . You will get charged for 2 extra quarts anywhere from $10 -25 more.

I usually regret getting it serviced, they usually put some rinky dink filter on there, hopefully the dealership would use a Mopar one. But you will get the baby MO-409 vs the larger MO-899
one for sure
Seven quarts for $35 is a good price. When I bought the coupon the dealer charged me about $20 extra for the 2 additional quarts. But the 2nd and 3rd oil changes they did not charge for the additional 2 quarts.

I always ask to look under the car when they get it up in the air, just to check things out. Usually the tech has the oil & filter already setting out by then and I've seen them use the 899 filter which is also on the work order. I didn't see the filter the last time but the 041 SRT filter was on the work order. I asked why the change & the manager said that's what belongs on the car & the tech confirmed he used the white #041 filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ Asharus:
Congrats on being a SP owner. To paraphrase JG Wentworth, "It's your car, so do what you want with it." Consider though, that a new 6.4L engine installed at your fav dealer runs in the neighborhood of $10k. Are you comfortable with writing that check, should an internal engine issue arise during the warranty period? Unless you have documentation that proper maintenance has been done, you run that risk.

I have the R/T model, so thankfully I am only required to have 1 oil change per year, or when the OLM indicates. I purchase 3 oil changes at a time, for $160 and change. The dealer does it once a year, and gets to dispose of the old oil and filter. The service is also entered into their system, for future reference should a claim arise that should be covered under the Lifetime MaxCare.

As an interesting comparison, I have learned that the $1,000,000+ Bugatti Veyron's oil service is $21k at the local dealer. A set of new tires for that car, runs $30k mounted and balanced.
My thought is, if one can afford the car, one can probably can afford the proper service. If not, maybe it was not a wise purchase to begin with.

We have seen here that a brake job on the SRT cars with their 2 piece rotors, can run $2k+ per axle.
Same scenario applies IMO?

Don
I don't really care about the cost. In fact these 2 oil changes were free since the dealership gave me the first 2 oil changes for free. It's the fact that I have to waste 1-2 hours of my time for what I feel is an unnecessary oil change with oil that has 1k miles on it.

It's the first time I've had a low mileage issue, since COVID started I've been working from home. My wife's 4 month old Jeep has 800 more miles than my 1 year old scat.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Understood. There are folks whose time is worth more to them, and writing that $10k check would be like lunch money. Their main inconvenience, would be the down time to swap in the new engine. I am not in that position.
My hope is that I enjoy a good return on my investment, via as many trouble free miles as possible.

Don

·
Registered
294 Posts
I buy 3 x 5 quart jugs each time and use the Penzoil ultra platinum 5w20 on my Marauder as well. The filter is even interchangeable if I get the oil changed I’ve found a generic interchange for the tiny MO-409 on the Mercury That’s a hassle as it’s too small for my vintage band wrench. The modular ford oil filter sucks after 2003 in the Panthers since ford stuck a rack and pinion on a 1979 body on frame chassis. Anyhow I can’t bring myself to put the Mopar filter on her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts