Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with the plastic covering the entire bottom side of the engine? I cannot get to the oil filter from up top, do I need to remove all that plastic to change the oil? and do I really need to reinstall it?

What has everyone else done?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
There's a big wording on that plate that says something like: "REMOVE FOR MAINTENANCE".

Not making fun or anything, just that it cracks me up everytime I read that when I'm under the Charger, lol.

It even have what order you should remove and tighten the bolts; with little arrows.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There's a big wording on that plate that says something like: "REMOVE FOR MAINTENANCE".

Not making fun or anything, just that it cracks me up everytime I read that when I'm under the Charger, lol.

It even have what order you should remove and tighten the bolts; with little arrows.
:lol:

What is the deal with the plastic covering the entire bottom side of the engine? I cannot get to the oil filter from up top, do I need to remove all that plastic to change the oil? and do I really need to reinstall it?

What has everyone else done?
is this a trick question?

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's easy to take off and on. I don't know if you should keep it off, it will protect the more important parts if you bottom out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thats funny

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just take it to the dealership. It is only $23 for the oil change and it gives me 20 min to wander the lot and drool...:tongue:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just take it to the dealership. It is only $23 for the oil change and it gives me 20 min to wander the lot and drool...:tongue:
I agree, if you have to ask if you should remove the panel that says remove for maintenance in order to do maintenance then you should take it to the dealer. Not only does it say remove for maintenance but I do believe there are big arrows pointing to the screws.:lol:

I not trying to make fun of anyone we all had to learn.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
you'll be glad that thing is there when you run something over. few months back I was driving in the left lane and the car in front of me swerved real quick and I saw something in the middle of my lane, a chunky metal looking junk...I didn't have enough time to avoid it...that sh!t went right under my car and my car kind of hopped it real quick because that junk went under my right tire. it looked like a part from under a car or some BS fell off a truck. I got home and looked all under my car and seen a nice scratch on that plastic cover. That was the only damage, a scratch...glad that plastic sh!t was there doing it's job.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

[email protected]!! You must get the cheapest friggin oil in town. I put full synthetic on mine (Mobil 1) and it ususally cost me around $60-70.00. But I only do my oil changes every 4-5k miles.

·
Registered
503 Posts
After reading about Royal Purple I'm going to start doing my own oil changes... stuff is better than Mobil 1 ! And that's saying a lot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does everyone take their car to the dealer to get the oil changed?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's easy to take off and on. I don't know if you should keep it off, it will protect the more important parts if you bottom out.
It is plastic, it will stop the spash of a liquid, but a metal object will rip through the plastic, only small items would not bust through. If I am some how getting the RWD charger through 6 inches of snow, it will not get packed into the engine compartment, but I doubt the RWD will manover through that much snow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading about Royal Purple I'm going to start doing my own oil changes... stuff is better than Mobil 1 ! And that's saying a lot.
My thought is if you are the type of person who mods their car, you are going to change the oil, rotate the tires, replace the wiper blades, light bulbs, etc your self.
My other thing is I am rather OCD ANAL with my cars, so I prime the filter before installing it, and I add some oil into the engine after it has drained to get a little more dirt out of the engine. I doubt the dealership would want to do all that, or they would really hate my request and charge more. I would rather put spend the money for high end oil and do the labor my self, than to have others do the work.

With My Caliber, I changed the oil at 500 miles, 2000 miles, then 4000 miles, to get any new engine break in shavings out asap. The charger has about 800 miles so to me it is past time for its first change.

I find it weard that I must get under it and remove plastic to even find a place for my jack. I really need a lift in my garage. IF I could afford the lift I would have spent the money on the HEMI anway.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
[email protected]!! You must get the cheapest friggin oil in town. I put full synthetic on mine (Mobil 1) and it ususally cost me around $60-70.00. But I only do my oil changes every 4-5k miles.
I do not mod my engine. I don't drive my car like I stole it. My Charger is basically a people mover that my kids fit in that looks good.:grin: If the dealer uses crappy oil and it destroys the engine, well thats a new engine courtesy of the dealership. All of my oil changes have been done at the same dealer so it won't be that difficult to prove that it was their product or negligence.:silenced:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got it done, way to many screws, etc. holding down all that plastic, and getting a jack under it to lift it puts the jack in the way of removing the oil filter and drain plug. It was getting durty even though it had just under 700 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I do not mod my engine. I don't drive my car like I stole it. My Charger is basically a people mover that my kids fit in that looks good.:grin: If the dealer uses crappy oil and it destroys the engine, well thats a new engine courtesy of the dealership. All of my oil changes have been done at the same dealer so it won't be that difficult to prove that it was their product or negligence.:silenced:
I have nothing against it. I just care about the engine of my car too much. If you keep up with the oil changes (every 3k miles), then you're fine. If you don't, then after your warranty expires (say you decide to keep the Charger) (100k miles), the engine will wear a lot faster.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Well, I got it done, way to many screws, etc. holding down all that plastic, and getting a jack under it to lift it puts the jack in the way of removing the oil filter and drain plug. It was getting durty even though it had just under 700 miles on it.
Do like I did and invest in a set of ramps. $35 at Pep Boys. It made the oil change a hell of a lot easier and now I wish I would have gotten ramps a lot sooner. And the oil is going to get dirty, period. That's its job.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Do like I did and invest in a set of ramps. $35 at Pep Boys. It made the oil change a hell of a lot easier and now I wish I would have gotten ramps a lot sooner.
Any tips with the ramps ? The one time I used them to remove the air intake bong it was a nightmare.

First I had to overinflate the tires to clear the front fascia... still hit a bit anyway. Should I look for a more gradual incline ?

And the ramps slid while I tried to get on them...

Removing the plastic panel just to jack the car seems a bit odd.. I was planning to get a jack and some jackstands to do the headers and my oil changes...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Any tips with the ramps ? The one time I used them to remove the air intake bong it was a nightmare.

First I had to overinflate the tires to clear the front fascia... still hit a bit anyway. Should I look for a more gradual incline ?

And the ramps slid while I tried to get on them...

Removing the plastic panel just to jack the car seems a bit odd.. I was planning to get a jack and some jackstands to do the headers and my oil changes...
You have to buy ramps that have extensions for low ground clearance cars. Most populat auto parts stores should have tem. They cost $55. See:

http://www.tracyvette.com/autoramps.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts