Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I look on this forum I see sigs where people has an oil catch can in their chargers. I was wondering since I don't have one is it required or necessary? I always figured if it was that bad why wouldn't it come factory with one?

Also how simple is it to install or should I have a mechanic install it?

if I come to the conclusion I want one what is the best brand for my 2012 Charger R/T?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it increase the longevity of the motor or something?

·
Registered
33 Posts
In part:

For an engine to produce the maximum amount of energy per explosion (of the A/F in the combustion chamber) you want air & fuel only….any amount of oil in this mix will hamper the explosion resulting in less energy released, detonation, and carbon buildup. Trapping and removing this oil before it gets into the combustion chamber is the ONLY solution to maintaining the maximum efficiency and prevent excess carbon buildup. A correctly designed and installed Oil Catch Can solves this problem.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If you have the Pentastar V6 catch cans are not really necessary, as these engines have a fancy (aka expensive: $70 to $90) PCV system that has some kind of spinning fan to separate the oil.

My car has 45K on it now and I have not seen a single drop of oil in the hose that goes to the air cleaner, so it must work pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts