Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing knock when I punch it at 2000 rpm. Consistent no matter what 91 octane gasoline brand I have tried. I am running the B&G
stage II with only an intake. After running the catch can now for one week, the
knock/detonation is completely gone. These pictures show why. These are before and after shots of the intake manifold. I removed the throttle body,
and cleaned the inside as best I could. That oil pool is an accumulation over the past year and 11,000 miles. The residue in the catch can is only after the
past week. So these hemis do contribute a good deal of emissions sewage going back into your intake charge. My engine has never felt better since adding the catch can.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I need one of these ASAP..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I haven't took mine off yet to see what kind of oil it has caught, but if this is really the case I am glad that I went ahead and got mine early. Not too mention they look pretty cool under the hood as well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
im ordering mine tomorrow but i would like to clean my intake too, is it hard to take everything apart? how about a step by step guide from you guys that know how to do it :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
if you dont want to take it apart you can spray alot of wd40 in threw the throttle when the motor is just a little warm still then put the intake tube back on and let it sit over night-then the next morning fire it up! it will smoke like mad but it will clean it up-OR-you can buy the mopar top end cleaner from the dealer and read the directions and that will clean it up also with out taking the throttle off.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can't speak for the 5.7, but the 6.1 you can do blindfolded. You simply unplug the electrical connector attached to the rubber intake tube, and then unplug the electrical connector attached to the throttle body. Both have a small red slider, which first slides back, and press it down and then pull the plug out. The throttle body is attached with 4 bolts, which require a 10mm socket. The bolts are long, and easy to grasp. Once the last one is out the
throttle body simply would drop to the floor, so hold on. I attached a small towel to a stick, and went in there and mopped it up. Then sucked out the rest with my shop vac. Reversed the flow, and blew air in there for a minute or two to clean out any other particles. Then put it back together. Very easy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Billet Technologies is right there in Florida. You could have it tomorrow.
Yeah they are just up the road from me.. It's a shame I dont have any of their products on my car..:confused: Catch can will prob. be the first...:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah they are just up the road from me.. It's a shame I dont have any of their products on my car..:confused: Catch can will prob. be the first...:)
Just ordered mine in Mirror Red!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
^^ I installed a BT catch can over the weekend ... Simple to do and what a quality piece this thing is. I will check in 1 week and see if I got anything, should be around 500-600 miles by then.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ I installed a BT catch can over the weekend ... Simple to do and what a quality piece this thing is. I will check in 1 week and see if I got anything, should be around 500-600 miles by then.
The stuff you will discover in there has the consistency of goo. When you tilt the can, it barely runs down the side. Very, very thick. Nasty. In the good old days this stuff used to be exited on the street through a tube.
The PCV valve/closed loop system then came into being in the 60's.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Folks, this is really a must have for our Hemi engines. If you are local here, stop on in and we will install it for you too. Your going to notice that Hemi Shake will go away after its been on for a week or so.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Interested in one!

Any forum discount or group buy?

When I read thru the LXforum there was a mention of them being under $100.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Folks, this is really a must have for our Hemi engines. If you are local here, stop on in and we will install it for you too. Your going to notice that Hemi Shake will go away after its been on for a week or so.
I was thinking of telling you to bring one to the next Moroso Event but I think I might want it before then, considering the reviews... I will give you a call later this week.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Here is an important piece of information I found about oil in the combustion chamber

>>
Another area that's often overlooked is detonation on one or two bores in lieu of all or most cylinders. It really takes a trained ear to determine this by the frequency of the knock and its sound. Then again, there's something particular to those bores only that is causing a problem. An often overlooked area is oil migration into the bore as a cause of detonation. If you're searching for the culprit, carefully examine the spark plugs under a magnifying glass. Oil originating at the valve guide area is a major contributor to single-cylinder detonation. Retarding of the timing may lessen this but will drastically diminish power output in all the normal combustion bores.
>>

It came from a thread on the OC about detonation here http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14510.

C.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can the oil can be installed if I don't have a cai system, just the factory box?

·
Registered
898 Posts
ok i ordered mine, and thanks for the tips i will try all that when it gets here :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can the oil can be installed if I don't have a cai system, just the factory box?
The oil catch can has nothing to do with connecting to the air filter side of the engine. It connects on the passenger side of the engine. The rubber tube running from the air filter to the left side valve cover is fresh air being drawn into the crankcase. The PVC valve is on the right side, and is dirty air being drawn out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold. So it does not matter if you have the OEM airbox or any other type of CAI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked through the throttle body on my JGC SRT8 & it looks just like the pics above. My catch can is on the way and, in the mean time, I thought of a way to clean the inside of the intake. How about using duct tape to attach about a 2' long piece of old garden hose to a shop vac suction hose. Then you can hold the TB open(or remove it) & suction the oil through the garden hose. There should be considerable suction at the end of the smaller hose. It would help to angle cut the end of the hose so that you can get flat against the floor of the manifold. If necessary, you could always spray or squirt some type of solvent into the intake to "dissolve" the oil if it's too thick to vacuum. I haven't tried this yet since I'm waiting for my catch can to arrive so that I can do the whole project at the same time.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts