Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have oil analysis done WHERE do you have the testing done?
This was asked in a long ago thread, and I've seen a couple labs mentioned in other places.

I've seen www.blackstone-labs.com mentioned by some. I thought someone said thru NAPA by ALS. But it looks like my NAPA currently goes thru DA Lubricants. The reason I might like ALS for my first test is only because I have seen 370 Hemi/Brian explain each line of their report. Apparently if you are in Tulsa (I'm not) there is a Mr. Hall 918-406-3183 who will come to you.

What I would like to know is WHY do you use the lab you use? So if you can give a lab you like, or one you didn't like, please do. But please also post why? Doesn't have to be any scientific reason. It could just be "they're who I found first", "because they only charge ___" or "the reports are clear".

Lastly HOW do you get samples? Anyone know if the sample is better using one of the methods below (or something else)?
Method #1 - Collected from the stream of draining oil (about midway) seems easy, and commen.
Method #2 - Sucked via hose stuck down the dipstick hole, trying for 1" off the pan, would make sense if testing between changes.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Blackstone.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a plan. Blackstone.
BUZZZZZZZZ, (in my game show announcer voice) "Oh I'm sorry ONEZ ST, you only answered one of the three questions. No credit will be awarded, but you will be welcome to come back and play again. Right here ON WHERE, WHY, and HOW.

Just kidding with ya, but, just getting names of labs is what I have seen on all the other threads, and what I could get from a simple "Ask Jeeves" search (or Google, whatever man). I'm really hoping to get some WHYs on this thread. Please everyone tell us WHY even if its just "because that what the parts store I use does".
And might as well throw in your HOW: Method #1 or Method #2 with or without a reason.
(in my game show announcer voice) "Who knows? You might even win a prize, or at least... our gratitude".

·
Registered
782 Posts
Blackstone.

I have used them on several vehicles including aircraft, my cars, and large diesel fuel trucks to verify fuel in oil. Every time they have listed a brief but decent explanation on what they saw with the info I provided. They also post various articles and newsletters chock full of info. And best part they do not play the game of who has best oil. They are there to tell you about your oil not what they think is better. AKA no salesman BS. 370hemi explains every line because he uses it to sell a product to compare it to show it being better. Blackstone has information on their website and have read where they gave more in depth info when personally asked. They also have a good sense of humor.

I follow the same regime for every oil change. I do it with it hot, and over couple hours allowing it to drain a lot. When I do take a sample I try to get mid pour and I make sure to note this as well. Making sure the oil sample people regardless of who you use knows as much about what your looking for, what has been done, suspected issues, and other factors gives them better material to accurately give you feedback.

Here is a last two samples of my Charger. One line is from when the cam was failing (5/1/18), and the other is 20K or so miles after repair was done.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Didn't know I was up for a prize or I would have written a book. But I can give more response.

WHERE: Blackstone is answer 1.

HOW: Sample during the drain process. Just the connotation of sucking, well just sucks. Even if you can buy a $25 pump and avoid the foul taste.

WHY: I wouldn't mess sampling a 2013, 3.6. You can get results but what baseline is there to determine wear rates. Given the age, miles and idle hours of a pursuit is there a benefit to establishing a go-forward sampling history.at this stage in the engine and cars life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blackstone.

I have used them on several vehicles including aircraft, my cars, and large diesel fuel trucks to verify fuel in oil. Every time they have listed a brief but decent explanation on what they saw with the info I provided. They also post various articles and newsletters chock full of info. And best part they do not play the game of who has best oil. They are there to tell you about your oil not what they think is better. AKA no salesman BS. 370hemi explains every line because he uses it to sell a product to compare it to show it being better. Blackstone has information on their website and have read where they gave more in depth info when personally asked. They also have a good sense of humor.

I follow the same regime for every oil change. I do it with it hot, and over couple hours allowing it to drain a lot. When I do take a sample I try to get mid pour and I make sure to note this as well. Making sure the oil sample people regardless of who you use knows as much about what your looking for, what has been done, suspected issues, and other factors gives them better material to accurately give you feedback.

Here is a last two samples of my Charger. One line is from when the cam was failing (5/1/18), and the other is 20K or so miles after repair was done.

View attachment 294728
DING "Winner"
Thanks for the in depth response! (y)
Did you already know your cam was failing?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Blackstone has videos.
In short, a reasonably hot engine that has not sat too long, glove up, pull drain and let it pour out about half and then fill your collection container.
Let cool and transfer it into the sample bottle and ship.

·
Registered
782 Posts
DING "Winner"
Thanks for the in depth response! (y)
Sneaking suspension due to low grade "tapping" noise. (not to be confused with ticking) Wasn't too long afterwards I got a misfire code for cylinder 5.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I think he wants to know if you had indications of the pending failure through oil sampling results.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
X 2 on Blackstone.

"It puts on the lotion, or it gets the hose again........" 😂

Don

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you have elevated iron content you can start suspecting its the lifter/cam issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sneaking suspension due to low grade "tapping" noise. (not to be confused with ticking) Wasn't too long afterwards I got a misfire code for cylinder 5.
That is what I was wondering.
Looking at the two reports, I thought it was kind of obvious that the report showed a problem, but I guess might just be obvious because of the second test. So ONEZ ST now has me curious. Did comparison to previous test give you...
...indications of the pending failure through oil sampling results.
?????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm usually confused.
I have a ticking, that is possibly a tapping.
The location seems to be coming from about dead center on the top of the engine. Meaning at cylinders 3 & 4 between the valve covers. I don't know if it's actually between the valve covers or coming equally from inside of both. Also I could be getting tricked by some kind of echoing, but don't think so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
After a long road trip it developed a tapping noise. But no other issues. I read online that if its tapping it could be a lifter and should have a misfire. So I changed oil early sent it in. (hence sneaking suspicion) and showed elevated iron. I was going to do one more oil run of 4K miles to send in again to confirm but got misfire code which gave me two solid points of it's a lifter failure.

The injectors Tick. And because 6 or 8 of them are going it is very sewing machine like and continuous.

You have a 3.6 V6 which may have different noises seeing its dual OHC, however it dhould not display same noise as the 5.7 lifter failure.

Here is a video of it from driver side.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Many of the Pentastar V6s with high mileage sound like a sewing machine- it is a combo of the cam followers ("rocker arms" sort of) and the fuel injectors. Normally there is nothing to worry about unless you get one that is suddenly louder than the rest that indicates the roller in the cam follower has gone bad. It is easy to spot which one(s) by removing the valve cover and looking for one of the followers that is loose and the roller collapsed (see pics). A follower is about $7 at the dealer, loosen the camshaft caps and let the cam lift itself up just enough to slip the bad follower out and a new one in.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts