Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the billet catch can, and looked inside beyond the throttle plate into the intake manifold. The bottom was covered with oil, and pooling towards the rear. Will this eventually burn off? My previous post had 27 responses, one of which was a vague answer by a poster who has not experienced this problem, and 26 other posts which were just a big "yuk" fest.
So I ask again from others who have the catch can. Does the oil inside the
manifold burn off over time? Here is a photo of a clean manifold. The bottom of mine is coated in oil, with a small puddle towards the rear.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sry dont have a catch can, so i cant answer your question. but thanks for postin the picture! i've never seen in there before. very cool.

EDIT: how many miles do you have on the car? i dont think it looks that bad, especially if you have a lot of miles on it

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is not a picture of my intake. I snagged it off of the other forum. Nevertheless, I have 11,000 miles on my car, with a small pool of oil
towards the rear. I will get a picture tonight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
When you say puddle is it like a couple ounces, a quart, what??? Could be residue from the breather if you have an aftermarket intake. A small amount is usually blown in from the breather which should be normal. If it is a substantial amount call your dealer/bring it in or have a certified tech look at it. If the catch can is doing what it is supposed to then what is the process for cleaning what it catches?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I've had no issues since using the penguin, but if you're really concerned about the oil:

Disconnect the fuel line on the passenger side and the connected to the throttle body. After that, loosen the bolts that run along the sides of the manifold. There may be an air tube that runs to the rear of the manifold as well, but once all that's removed, the manifold will come right off.

Clean it out with some carb cleaner and allow it to dry before reinstalling.

Or, don't worry about it. It's not going to hurt your motor.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sorry just saw your other thread. If its 3-4 ounces maybe you can just use something like you said to absorb it. The catch can should prevent further buildup I would assume. Some oil without a catch can should be normal but I wouldn't know how mutch. Especially if their is an area for it to pool up....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
DONT WORRY ABOUT IT-its normal and any oil in the back of the intake will be picked up and burnt off over time. a couple of wot's will do it. the catch can will keep it from happening again-and you will feel a little better throttle responce with the catch can in a couple of days when the intake starts to clean it self out.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DONT WORRY ABOUT IT-its normal and any oil in the back of the intake will be picked up and burnt off over time. a couple of wot's will do it. the catch can will keep it from happening again-and you will feel a little better throttle responce with the catch can in a couple of days when the intake starts to clean it self out.
Right on, bro. I spoke with Danny at Billet, and he said the same thing. A couple of good WOT's should suck that oil into the intake ports and burn it up.
I just put on the catch can yesterday, so it hasn't had time to do its thing yet. But I was surprised at how much oil is sitting in the bottom. That oil has to hurt/lower the octane rating when it mixes with the air/fuel charge.
This can idea seems like a very positive solution.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I installed the billet catch can, and looked inside beyond the throttle plate into the intake manifold. The bottom was covered with oil, and pooling towards the rear. Will this eventually burn off? My previous post had 27 responses, one of which was a vague answer by a poster who has not experienced this problem, and 26 other posts which were just a big "yuk" fest.
So I ask again from others who have the catch can. Does the oil inside the
manifold burn off over time? Here is a photo of a clean manifold. The bottom of mine is coated in oil, with a small puddle towards the rear.

Get over yourself!

1) you don't need to have had that problem to know anything about it! It's acually common to ALL vehicles that vent blow-by gasses into a maniold and has places where it can settle.

2) Increase the airflow into the engine and it will cause some of the waste to be sucked up and extracted - that is pure common sense! :knockout:

3) If it sits too long in there it can leave a deposit (gum/tar - whatever) which will be baked onto the aluminium and not be sucked up into the cylinders as it will be a sticky coating inside the manifold.

Really - sometimes you seem like the kind of person that never cracks a smile!!

It's normal, some will be sucked in - some won't. It's that simple Scrooge. :smoke:

Just clean the fugga out if it's giving you sleepless nights......

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get over yourself!

1) you don't need to have had that problem to know anything about it! It's acually common to ALL vehicles that vent blow-by gasses into a maniold and has places where it can settle.

2) Increase the airflow into the engine and it will cause some of the waste to be sucked up and extracted - that is pure common sense! :knockout:

3) If it sits too long in there it can leave a deposit (gum/tar - whatever) which will be baked onto the aluminium and not be sucked up into the cylinders as it will be a sticky coating inside the manifold.

Really - sometimes you seem like the kind of person that never cracks a smile!!

It's normal, some will be sucked in - some won't. It's that simple Scrooge. :smoke:

Just clean the fugga out if it's giving you sleepless nights......
Pardon me, your royal highness. I just didn't feel like bowing down before you with your previous explanation, which then turned into joke thread.
I got my questions answered over at the other forum, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
if it bouthers you having the oil in the back of the intake you can always use the mopar top cleaner on it/or when its cold in the morning you can spray wd-40 into the back of the intake being careful not to lose the little hose in the intake and let it sit there for a few minutes and then fire her up and it will smoke like crazy but it will be clean. i used that trick on mine and it cleaned it right up [it sparyed about a 1/4 can in there using a small mag lite to hold the throttle blades open so i could see the spary pattern and than let it sit for 15 min. after i ran it for a day i checked it and it was clean as a babys butt.:lol:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am running the B&G II tune, and get a little bit of low end knock when under hard acceleration. Here in AZ the best we can get is 91 octane. Having that oil added to the intake charge can't help, and can only lower the octane rating. So I would like to get it cleaned up as soon as possible, and then let the catch can do its work from that point forward. That oil is there is messy looking.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Pardon me, your royal highness. I just didn't feel like bowing down before you with your previous explanation, which then turned into joke thread.
I got my questions answered over at the other forum, but thanks anyway.
Scrooge,

I know, I know - it can be difficult when in the presence of such greatness..... However, you do become accustomed to it after a while.

You may arise from the kneeling position....

King Arfur.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts