Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Non-WB Scat Pack, I would agree. You're going to have a hard to time getting out the door with an optioned WB for under $50K. Sale price alone, with few options..sure, you could probably be under $50k. You'll still be well over that by the time you add taxes and fees on. The larger displacement Charger's (SP & HC) tend to hold their value very well, especially if it is an optioned car. So, even IF you were "wasting" money up front... it could still end up being cheaper than purchasing a freshly released competing car.

I'd hate to say it..but things are only going to keep going up in price. Yes, there will be periods of extreme lows or highs but the overall trend is going to remain. Talking vehicle prices from 3-4 years ago is really just blowing smoke around. I remember when I was younger, you could walk into a gas station and be WELL under $2 for a pop and candy bar. Is that at all relevant for today? I have a buddy who picked up a new RT a few years ago (with power dollars, I believe) and he was sitting around $39k.
Talking car prices 3-4 years ago is not blowing smoke around. Saying 10-15 years ago, sure. But there is a specific reason for the price hike, not a growing economy. It's lack of inventory due to the plants being closed for extended time and now the chip shortage. Inflation is real, and it's sky high. It is indeed wasting money. Why on Earth would anybody buy a car that is now on its 7th model year for $25k more than it was when new? If the Scat Pack Widebody would have been released in 2015 or 2016 it would not have cost anywhere near what they're going for now. $10k for fender flares and wider tires?

And actually, prior to this economic disaster, the Chargers value was average, and deals could be found everywhere. You could find used Scat Packs for upper 20s. Good luck finding anything in remotely good shape for that now.

If your buddy bought a new R/T 5.7, "a few years ago" and it wasn't completely optioned out at $39k, then he is a dope.

And no car prices aren't going to stay that way. Do some reading. In about a year (hopefully) everything will start to level out. You won't be paying $5k over MSRP on new Chargers, and used car prices will return to market average.

As someone else posted, those who are paying $50k+ for a 392 right now, especially those financing for 7+ years and little to no equity are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I mean do what you like, it's not my money, I just don't see how people can't see through everything that is going on right now. Paying a few thousand more over the course of 7 years, sure, give 3% for your usual inflation rate over that time, but $20,000.00 more for the same car?? Absolutely insane. This isn't the late 80s,.. yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Talking car prices 3-4 years ago is not blowing smoke around. Saying 10-15 years ago, sure. But there is a specific reason for the price hike, not a growing economy. It's lack of inventory due to the plants being closed for extended time and now the chip shortage. Inflation is real, and it's sky high. It is indeed wasting money. Why on Earth would anybody buy a car that is now on its 7th model year for $25k more than it was when new? If the Scat Pack Widebody would have been released in 2015 or 2016 it would not have cost anywhere near what they're going for now. $10k for fender flares and wider tires?

And actually, prior to this economic disaster, the Chargers value was average, and deals could be found everywhere. You could find used Scat Packs for upper 20s. Good luck finding anything in remotely good shape for that now.

If your buddy bought a new R/T 5.7, "a few years ago" and it wasn't completely optioned out at $39k, then he is a dope.

And no car prices aren't going to stay that way. Do some reading. In about a year (hopefully) everything will start to level out. You won't be paying $5k over MSRP on new Chargers, and used car prices will return to market average.

As someone else posted, those who are paying $50k+ for a 392 right now, especially those financing for 7+ years and little to no equity are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I mean do what you like, it's not my money, I just don't see how people can't see through everything that is going on right now. Paying a few thousand more over the course of 7 years, sure, give 3% for your usual inflation rate over that time, but $20,000.00 more for the same car?? Absolutely insane. This isn't the late 80s,.. yet.
It is to some degree, As I said previously, there will be fluctuation as with most markets. Whatever the market was (or wasn't) 4 years ago is mostly irrelevant for today's market, or next year's market. Vehicle prices have been increasing well before the COVID party. When was the last time you could purchase a new loaded 1/2 ton pickup for $40-45K? Most trucks and SUV's are approaching $75-$100k now; I'm sure that is just temporary though. I was one who has mentioned several times on here that I fear for many of these customers buying used a exorbitant prices. Many cars on the lots have less options and similar pricing to what you could order a new one for. I've seen several SP WB's (used) listed for nearly $60k..the one had cloth seats!! There was actually a lady on here this morning looking to trade her Caddy in for a WB. I think it has 5/6K miles, cloth seats and its listed for close to $58K IIRC..insane.

I agree with the deals you are referring to, but I'm not following where the $20/$25k more for a car is coming from. The WB package is $6k and adds more than larger wheels and fender flares. I personally would never pay sticker price for any vehicle, let alone paying OVER MSRP. I'm sitting at close to $6K under MSRP.. and that is OTD (including over $3k in just sales tax, plus fees)

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Very cool! I would've loved to walk the lots with my dad, but he doesn't share the obsession. I could walk dealer lots for hours just to look...on Sunday's when they are closed, of course. :giggle:

Yes, the majority of the used market pricing is insane. These people who choose to buy now are out of their minds. Granted, the old saying holds true... what you don't know can't hurt you. We have to also realize that the average vehicle customer isn't like most of us on here. The awareness of the market just isn't there. My Camaro I had sold last month is listed for about $2,500 less than what the original MSRP was. That car is 4 years old.
I'm not sure who likes Cars more, my Son or myself. We share such a deep passion for all things Automotive. He likes many different brands, Drives a Audi S4 and eats sleeps and drives Automotive. He's a nut and I'm very thankful he shares my life long passion. I come from a Family of German Engineers who all love cars. Our family get togethers usually end up in the garage and on a road test drive with whoever got the lastest car or mod. It's fantastic.

Right now I have been testing a CAI system to see how it responds long term. It's been on the car since January 2 , 2021 and I have been testing it ever since. Even knowing what everyone has said either positive or negative about them, I still like and enjoy the process of testing it for myself. Right now I'm in limbo for Track Runs, I just can't get my hands on a set of drag Radials. Everyone tells me they are all on back order . I hate it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
It is to some degree, As I said previously, there will be fluctuation as with most markets. Whatever the market was (or wasn't) 4 years ago is mostly irrelevant for today's market, or next year's market. Vehicle prices have been increasing well before the COVID party. When was the last time you could purchase a new loaded 1/2 ton pickup for $40-45K? Most trucks and SUV's are approaching $75-$100k now; I'm sure that is just temporary though. I was one who has mentioned several times on here that I fear for many of these customers buying used a exorbitant prices. Many cars on the lots have less options and similar pricing to what you could order a new one for. I've seen several SP WB's (used) listed for nearly $60k..the one had cloth seats!! There was actually a lady on here this morning looking to trade her Caddy in for a WB. I think it has 5/6K miles, cloth seats and its listed for close to $58K IIRC..insane.

I agree with the deals you are referring to, but I'm not following where the $20/$25k more for a car is coming from. The WB package is $6k and adds more than larger wheels and fender flares. I personally would never pay sticker price for any vehicle, let alone paying OVER MSRP. I'm sitting at close to $6K under MSRP.. and that is OTD (including over $3k in just sales tax, plus fees)
Vehicle prices are always increasing, but not 50% in 10 months. That's insane.

You haven't been able to purchase a fully optioned Silverado 1500/RAM 1500/F-150 for $45k in about 12 years. The late 2010s were when they were pushing 50k, but either way that's over a decade ago, not less than a year.

The $20-25k I am referring to is that new Scat Packs are selling for $55k. You could buy a new one just in 2017 for $34k.

The WB package has a few suspension upgrades, yes, and maybe the package is a $6k upgrade, but you're seeing them marked over $10k more than a standard, even with options that's insane.

Also look into rebates and everything that was attainable even last year with the power dollars. Nobody was paying MSRP, now people think paying MSRP is a deal because they're not paying over. Who ever heard of that and thought it made sense?

I could understand a bit more of a drastic increase in price if the vehicle was improved all around over the years without a complete refresh, but it hasn't, it's the same old song and dance. Change a few colors, update the infotainment, add a few gadgets and give the grille some nostrils. If there were actual performance upgrades in the performance car, alright, but it's been idle since 2012.

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
Used car prices are nuts.

I am trying hard to convince myself not to sell my Z06; I see ads for $20k more than I paid for mine in 2018 that have higher mileage.

I just saw today an ad for a 2018 Z06 "Carbon 65" edition for $150k. That is just stupid.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Used car prices are nuts.

I am trying hard to convince myself not to sell my Z06; I see ads for $20k more than I paid for mine in 2018 that have higher mileage.

I just saw today an ad for a 2018 Z06 "Carbon 65" edition for $150k. That is just stupid.
It's stupid, but if I was in your shoes I don't know if I could resist. I could sell my 392 and make about $3k more than I could 2 years ago, but my Charger is my daily. With you have the 392 and the Z06, knowing you could make not only a few thousand, but $20k, Id have to sell.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
225 Posts
I just traded in my 19 for a widebody on Saturday, I paid sticker for theirs, they paid sticker for mine. That is the market right now...

Reactions: LanceTX

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
^ sticker price is basically whatever the selling dealer prices their car at. It can be whatever the dealer wants to sell it at and doesn't have to match MSRP. Dealer prep, theft deterrent, air in the tires, market adjustment, yada yada yada.

What they purchase or accept in trade is whatever they speculate they can resell at a profit. How would they know what it stickered for unless they were the one who originally sold it?

So were you referring to the MSRP vs sticker??

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
225 Posts
^ sticker price is basically whatever the selling dealer prices their car at. It can be whatever the dealer wants to sell it at and doesn't have to match MSRP. Dealer prep, theft deterrent, air in the tires, market adjustment, yada yada yada.

What they purchase or accept in trade is whatever they speculate they can resell at a profit. How would they know what it stickered for unless they were the one who originally sold it?

So were you referring to the MSRP vs sticker??
Yes MSRP for both, they pulled my Mulroney up when I traded my car in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Back in Feb this year, Vroom.com offered me $31k for my 17 SP with 65k miles.
I owed 15k. I should have taken that 16k and put it towards a new widebody...

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
225 Posts
Back in Feb this year, Vroom.com offered me $31k for my 17 SP with 65k miles.
I owed 15k. I should have taken that 16k and put it towards a new widebody...
Do it now, it's probably worth more than that in this market.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Off the cuff, this doesn't seem to too bad of a deal at all. I'm surprised they gave you a decent trade value and knocked $3k off of the sale price. They either got the SP for a song and dance, or they just really want to move inventory. Used cars typically have a markup of $2,500-$5,000ish, in general.
It was a deal to me for sure. Saw my ‘13 listed a week later on their lot for $12,900. Dunno if they sold it for that? Lost track of it. And, now. Don’t care. LoL!

And this ‘16 wasn’t pristine, not really… compared to my high mileage ‘13. It needed one wheel fixed but they paid for it. Interior needed some love but I don’t mind making it my own. Brakes were new but needed “something” (new pads? bedded?) so I replaced them.

The ‘16 had bubbling paint like rust forming on the leading edge, but Chrysler fixed it for me for free under corrosion warranty.

I just couldn’t find a 392 car worth having nearby. Had to drive to get this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I paid $46K CDN for my 2020 R/T Daytona in October.
This car has 2 less options(car cover and rear cargo net) than mine and costs $11K more
View attachment 299295
Pretty car! But I couldn’t do that price…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think new car prices aren't going to drop anytime soon if ever. Used car are prices are crazy though. I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn last year and it's currently worth $10k more than what I paid for it new. I also notice a 2020 Scat with 20k miles for $50k at my local dealer when you could buy a new one at $42k.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I think new car prices aren't going to drop anytime soon if ever. Used car are prices are crazy though. I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn last year and it's currently worth $10k more than what I paid for it new. I also notice a 2020 Scat with 20k miles for $50k at my local dealer when you could buy a new one at $42k.
It's not the car prices dropping, it's not paying over MSRP or getting any rebates. That part of the deal guaranteed will revert to normal once supply meets demand.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
225 Posts
So this is the car I traded in for my widebody listed on the dealers site,

Here is my window sticker,

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'd be rolling on the floor laughing if a dealer thought I was going to pay $50k for a used 2019 SP Plus. Then again someone will pay it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Last fall when I bought my R/T, there were two brand new wide body Scat Packs at a dealer for $58K.

I'm just going to leave this here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd be rolling on the floor laughing if a dealer thought I was going to pay $50k for a used 2019 SP Plus. Then again someone will pay it.
Right! Lol There are multiple scatpack's listed at stupid prices..there's really no other way of saying it. That sad part is, and you are correct, that SOMEONE will buy still. I sold my '17 Camaro 2SS and the dealer had it listed for almost the original MSRP. Granted it is insanely clean with ~3,500 average per year on it, but the car sold in less than 1 month.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts