Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My son and I like to walk around lots on Sundays to look at the different new cars.
We went to Toyota first and they where pretty empty and sad. I can't believe how many open areas where on their lot. It was kinda sad and lonely feeling.

Anyway right next door is a Dodge dealer and we popped over there to see that they had. They actually had some inventory and a TRX Ram which was totally badass. So they had 2 used Scat Packs. One was a 2021 with 5k on it and was a base Scat Pack Selling for 54k. Cloth seats no sun roof no nothing just a Scat Trim . It was Pitch Black.
Then they had a 2020 with also around 5k miles on it for 53K but this one at least had a Plus Package and that was it. It was Indigo Blue which by the way is super nice.

Those cars new both are under 48k brand new but now used selling for our 50k. I would absolutely not buy a car right now unless I had to. Whatever your driving , keep it until this madness calms down. There is no way I would pay more for a used car then what it costs brand new. Even with only 5k miles on it.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
161 Posts
Yeah, I got my pitch black base Scat Pack brand new for $33,000 out the door. $50K? That's madness.

Reactions: M0P4R_trey

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I got my pitch black base Scat Pack brand new for $33,000 out the door. $50K? That's madness.
You can't touch a used one for 33k. When I got my 2020 Scat , base price was like 43K and they where not discounting them except Dodge had Power Dollars for awhile there. Mine was around 47k, I got a few options like a Sun room and a Plus Package. I got a few Grand off as my 2017 Durango R/T had some equity. They sold that truck in 2 days didn't have to inspect it clean it or do an oil change. Right from me on the lot then out the door. I kept it perfect , Ceramic Coated Garage Kept and it had 34k on it.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
161 Posts
Yeah, they had power dollars on-going when I bought mine, it was also a leftover previous model year car so I ended up getting $8,000ish off the MSRP of $41,000.

This was in January 2020, right before COVID started up.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Unfortunately, and I say this will all due respect, if you're buying and financing a Scat Pack for over $50k you're an idiot.

I've said so many times I can't believe people are buying these cars at these prices when 3-4 years ago, before these cars were old as dirt, you could buy a brand new one for low $30s. I specifically remember a brand new GoMango SP at the dealer near me going for $37k and thinking it was a rip.

I agree, unless you are loaded or don't mind pouring money down the drain, wait it out. These cars are ancient and are living on borrowed time as is, there is no reason they should be selling for $25k more than what they were when new where there has been 0 performance upgrades, a few new electronic gadgets, and some fender flares.

Just my .02 but I honestly cannot understand why people are paying those prices.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm sitting still...sold my RT STP last month...I want to rebuy, upgrade to a low mileage or new Scat ...Sure wish I knew when this feeding frenzy will end....! Is it directly tied to the Chip shortages, ? Also wondering if it will bring prices back down...or simply level off...Will the 2022 Scats be wroth waiting for....? Who can tell...

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus Dynamics
43 Posts
Sold my scat and driving around my daily/beater 06 Grand Marquis in grandpa style 😂 Vroom is asking 50k for my scat which MSRP was 49k and I didn't pay anywhere close to that for the car originally before COVID. I loved my 392 but no way is it work what they are asking and what stupid people are actually paying rn. Patiently waiting for the used car bubble to burst and that's when I'll pounce into either a hellcat or Vette until then just gotta wait out the storm.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to fess up and confess to recently buying a used scat or hellcat and admitting how bad they got screwed over.

But it will probably be presented as if they got the buy if a lifetime.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to fess up and confess to recently buying a used scat or hellcat and admitting how bad they got screwed over.

I was happy to unload mine for only a few grand less than I paid for it 4 years and 30k miles ago. :)

I see folks tapping their foot here about buying new ones and just roll my eyes. When the world returns to normal and these things are lining dealer lots, folks that shelled out $50K+ are going to feel rather foolish indeed.

Best,

Reactions: ONEZ ST and NoMoRaM

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, the air conditioner compressor gave up the ghost in my wife's 8 year old Mazda. Getting it fixed was a no brainer when compared to trading it in and buying her a new car. She's happy with it and doesn't want a new car. She is driving my Charger while her's is in the shop and she doesn't even like driving it. (I know, crazy, right?) I'll get away with a repair bill under a grand, as long as there are no surprises. It will be a good long while before I buy another car. I doubt that prices will ever be lower anyway. Ever hear of "hyperinflation"? It's coming, folks. So grab your ankles and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Ever hear of "hyperinflation"? It's coming, folks. So grab your ankles and enjoy the ride.
Yep. When you print money and flood the economy with it without increasing output, that is a natural outcome.

Best,

Reactions: LanceTX and NoMoRaM

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unfortunately, and I say this will all due respect, if you're buying and financing a Scat Pack for over $50k you're an idiot.

I've said so many times I can't believe people are buying these cars at these prices when 3-4 years ago, before these cars were old as dirt, you could buy a brand new one for low $30s. I specifically remember a brand new GoMango SP at the dealer near me going for $37k and thinking it was a rip.

I agree, unless you are loaded or don't mind pouring money down the drain, wait it out. These cars are ancient and are living on borrowed time as is, there is no reason they should be selling for $25k more than what they were when new where there has been 0 performance upgrades, a few new electronic gadgets, and some fender flares.

Just my .02 but I honestly cannot understand why people are paying those prices.
Non-WB Scat Pack, I would agree. You're going to have a hard to time getting out the door with an optioned WB for under $50K. Sale price alone, with few options..sure, you could probably be under $50k. You'll still be well over that by the time you add taxes and fees on. The larger displacement Charger's (SP & HC) tend to hold their value very well, especially if it is an optioned car. So, even IF you were "wasting" money up front... it could still end up being cheaper than purchasing a freshly released competing car.

I'd hate to say it..but things are only going to keep going up in price. Yes, there will be periods of extreme lows or highs but the overall trend is going to remain. Talking vehicle prices from 3-4 years ago is really just blowing smoke around. I remember when I was younger, you could walk into a gas station and be WELL under $2 for a pop and candy bar. Is that at all relevant for today? I have a buddy who picked up a new RT a few years ago (with power dollars, I believe) and he was sitting around $39k.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I think I can confess to trading in my 2013 R/T Road & Track Charger with 159k miles, for this 2016 ScatPack that had around 75k miles, with everything but the cyclops, and feel like I did good at a dealership for once…?

I owed like $3700 on the ‘13 that I had bought used in 2016 with 68,000 miles on it. They offered a crappy $6500 and I knew I could sell it outright for around $11,000, so I told them Nope. They came back with a little higher offer but pointed out my VIN showed an accident. It was minor, and it was fully repaired. But it’s still an accident, even though not my fault, still on the report. I said No again.

They were asking something like $32,995 for their car, the ‘16 SP, which was just under what I saw appraised on sites as just below market price. Something like $33,000 and some change, so it was just at the market price at the time.

Brand new comparable cars were like $42k-$44k then. And many used ones within 500 miles of my zip code were about $37k to $40k, which was insanity to me to buy used when new was just a little more. And R/T’a we’re selling around me for as much as $14k or at least that’s the asking price, but still, high mileage even were selling at more than I wanted for mine.

I went there thinking that IF they’d give me just over $10,000 for my trade (KBB showed it was worth $10,200-something at that time, even with that mileage) I would buy that ‘16 SP.

I couldn’t get the salesman to negotiate to MY terms so I got up to leave, while he was standing by the used car manager desk. The used car manager (Honda dealership) finally came out and apologized saying we was on the phone and wasn’t paying attention to the negotiation. He asked what it would take to sell me that SP and I said, “I’ll give you $20,000 out the door.” And they took it.

They basically took $3000 off their price, which what one offer they gave when they low balled my trade. Something like $29,900 plus tax, title, and fees for the SP. But again, $20,000 put the door is what I financed. They did sell me a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty with $100 deductible, so I ended up financing $23,000 total, but they paid off my trade and I got my 392 car.

I know I could cancel that warranty but I doubt my payment would change unless I refi? Still, not a big deal and I felt like I got a good deal!

Sure, I had to repair one wheel, but they sent me a check for $500 to help cover it.

That’s my confession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
So My son and I like to walk around lots on Sundays to look at the different new cars.
We went to Toyota first and they where pretty empty and sad. I can't believe how many open areas where on their lot. It was kinda sad and lonely feeling.

Anyway right next door is a Dodge dealer and we popped over there to see that they had. They actually had some inventory and a TRX Ram which was totally badass. So they had 2 used Scat Packs. One was a 2021 with 5k on it and was a base Scat Pack Selling for 54k. Cloth seats no sun roof no nothing just a Scat Trim . It was Pitch Black.
Then they had a 2020 with also around 5k miles on it for 53K but this one at least had a Plus Package and that was it. It was Indigo Blue which by the way is super nice.

Those cars new both are under 48k brand new but now used selling for our 50k. I would absolutely not buy a car right now unless I had to. Whatever your driving , keep it until this madness calms down. There is no way I would pay more for a used car then what it costs brand new. Even with only 5k miles on it.
Very cool! I would've loved to walk the lots with my dad, but he doesn't share the obsession. I could walk dealer lots for hours just to look...on Sunday's when they are closed, of course. :giggle:

Yes, the majority of the used market pricing is insane. These people who choose to buy now are out of their minds. Granted, the old saying holds true... what you don't know can't hurt you. We have to also realize that the average vehicle customer isn't like most of us on here. The awareness of the market just isn't there. My Camaro I had sold last month is listed for about $2,500 less than what the original MSRP was. That car is 4 years old.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just went to KBB and saw I have a SP worth $27-$32k. $29,400 trade in.

I added the Xenon headlight option because I added Xenon HID’s. But still. I’m ok with that assessment!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I can confess to trading in my 2013 R/T Road & Track Charger with 159k miles, for this 2016 ScatPack that had around 75k miles, with everything but the cyclops, and feel like I did good at a dealership for once…?

I owed like $3700 on the ‘13 that I had bought used in 2016 with 68,000 miles on it. They offered a crappy $6500 and I knew I could sell it outright for around $11,000, so I told them Nope. They came back with a little higher offer but pointed out my VIN showed an accident. It was minor, and it was fully repaired. But it’s still an accident, even though not my fault, still on the report. I said No again.

They were asking something like $32,995 for their car, the ‘16 SP, which was just under what I saw appraised on sites as just below market price. Something like $33,000 and some change, so it was just at the market price at the time.

Brand new comparable cars were like $42k-$44k then. And many used ones within 500 miles of my zip code were about $37k to $40k, which was insanity to me to buy used when new was just a little more. And R/T’a we’re selling around me for as much as $14k or at least that’s the asking price, but still, high mileage even were selling at more than I wanted for mine.

I went there thinking that IF they’d give me just over $10,000 for my trade (KBB showed it was worth $10,200-something at that time, even with that mileage) I would buy that ‘16 SP.

I couldn’t get the salesman to negotiate to MY terms so I got up to leave, while he was standing by the used car manager desk. The used car manager (Honda dealership) finally came out and apologized saying we was on the phone and wasn’t paying attention to the negotiation. He asked what it would take to sell me that SP and I said, “I’ll give you $20,000 out the door.” And they took it.

They basically took $3000 off their price, which what one offer they gave when they low balled my trade. Something like $29,900 plus tax, title, and fees for the SP. But again, $20,000 put the door is what I financed. They did sell me a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty with $100 deductible, so I ended up financing $23,000 total, but they paid off my trade and I got my 392 car.

I know I could cancel that warranty but I doubt my payment would change unless I refi? Still, not a big deal and I felt like I got a good deal!

Sure, I had to repair one wheel, but they sent me a check for $500 to help cover it.

That’s my confession.

Off the cuff, this doesn't seem to too bad of a deal at all. I'm surprised they gave you a decent trade value and knocked $3k off of the sale price. They either got the SP for a song and dance, or they just really want to move inventory. Used cars typically have a markup of $2,500-$5,000ish, in general.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I paid $46K CDN for my 2020 R/T Daytona in October.
This car has 2 less options(car cover and rear cargo net) than mine and costs $11K more

·
Registered
251 Posts
They're asking well over MSRP, I would assume? It looks like a pretty loaded car, but I don't think the SP (non-WB) can get that high in price. :oops:
This is in Canada, where our MSRPs are about $6-10K more than in the US. Widebody Scats are getting insane right now.($70+K)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts