Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that the 5.7L V8 only had one cam that was located in the center of the engine. However, my friend that will be helping me change the cam this summer says that it has dual over head cams and actually has four. Who is right? How many cams does the 5.7L have?

·
Registered
484 Posts
You're both wrong, there's 14 cams in the 5.7 :D

Actually, just one :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The 5.7 and 6.1 are good old fashioned OHV pushrod V8s with one cam. However isn't the 3.5 an overhead cam engine (is it dohc or sohc?)?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
One cam in the Hemi 5.7 or the 6.1 ....

See mine being swapped in the pic below :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
And the heads showing the rocker-arm design, definitely not overhead cams ...

Stock heads :

And with the rockers swapped onto the new head :) :

Attachments

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Ok, i'll be the one that says it.
If your buddy thinks there is 4 cams, maybe he shouldnt be the one helping you.

:grin: ya, i went there

·
Registered
667 Posts
Remember anytime you trade Beer for mechanical work , make sure your work gets done BEFORE you give them the Beer.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

Haha .... That's funny :) :lol:

I actually was gonna post something just like that, but ended up doing the pics instead, and after I was done, I realized I never posted what I originally wanted to say :lol:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
thats what i do. i post things people "want" to say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, its actually my buddies dad that will be helping me (or should I say, my buddy and I will be helping him!) My buddy and I were talking about it this evening and we got into the argument over the number of cams.

I'm sure his dad knew ithe answer seeing as he was an engine builder in NASCAR for 20+ years....(if only he could make my engine run like a stock car engine :D

Thanks for your help on a simple question that probably seemed stupid!

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
haha, its actually my buddies dad that will be helping me (or should I say, my buddy and I will be helping him!) My buddy and I were talking about it this evening and we got into the argument over the number of cams.

I'm sure his dad knew ithe answer seeing as he was an engine builder in NASCAR for 20+ years....(if only he could make my engine run like a stock car engine :D

Thanks for your help on a simple question that probably seemed stupid!
:yes:

lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I know... :rolleyes2:

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
no worries bro, how abut letting us know what cam you are going with :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going with the Inertia Spartan cam. Stu is hooking me up with a install kit with all the head gaskets, head bolts, crank bolts and the exhaust manifold gaskets that I will need.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I'm going with the Inertia Spartan cam. Stu is hooking me up with a install kit with all the head gaskets, head bolts, crank bolts and the exhaust manifold gaskets that I will need.
sounds awesome bro! don't forget to do before/after dyno's if you can :grin:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
happy inertia'ed guy here too along with half of k.c. Stu is a good guy, you'll be happy with your purchase.
No offense to your dad's buddy or whoever but you might ask stu for one of his authorized installers. This motor is not like that of the old days. Be careful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only American V8 with DOHC in a "Muscle" car is the Cobra... everything else is either SOHC (Mustang GT) and OHV (Dodge, Chrystler, and Chevy)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

^^^ Post of the year!

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
happy inertia'ed guy here too along with half of k.c. Stu is a good guy, you'll be happy with your purchase.
No offense to your dad's buddy or whoever but you might ask stu for one of his authorized installers. This motor is not like that of the old days. Be careful.
you should roadtrip up there to help :banana::alfdance:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts