Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've always had this sound, but im not sure if its normal or not. This is what happens if i turn my wheel all the way to the left or to the right and then press the gas i hear this whiny sound for as long as the wheel is all the way in the direction. is that normal or not?

The sound file is a m4a so it can only be played with itunes/quicktime/firefox with quicktime plugin. ( disreguard the tires screching)

http://www.zshare.net/download/6675084115f2a159/

·
Registered
743 Posts
So i've always had this sound, but im not sure if its normal or not. This is what happens if i turn my wheel all the way to the left or to the right and then press the gas i hear this whiny sound for as long as the wheel is all the way in the direction. is that normal or not?

The sound file is a m4a so it can only be played with itunes/quicktime/firefox with quicktime plugin. ( disreguard the tires screching)

http://www.zshare.net/download/6675084115f2a159/
i get the same thing

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
That would be your powersteering pump.....wouldnt do that too much....

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
cant download the file

if its your pump the only time the pump should make noise is at left or right lock in which case you are actually damaging the pump. If it makes noise any other time and your fluid level is correct then your pump is trash

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya buy when I make a sharp u-turn ( which I alot at my job) I have to put the wheel all the way left or right. Yo do it do how can I Br damaging my pump? I mean that's how millions of people hve to turn sometimes

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Ya buy when I make a sharp u-turn ( which I alot at my job) I have to put the wheel all the way left or right. Yo do it do how can I Br damaging my pump? I mean that's how millions of people hve to turn sometimes
No its not. Once your pump starts to grind its because the wheel is no longer turning and the pump is taking the wear. Your steering wheel turns farther left to right then the actual wheels do. that inch or so diference damages the pump if held there for more then a second or two.
You'll have to learn to take a wider turn. You can not put your wheel on the locks and then put the drivetrain under a load like that or your gonna be snapping tie rods left and right. Its no biggie just turn about 5% less or so or make the turn wider.
If you have an owners manual i can direct you to the place where it states this

·
Registered
145 Posts
yep powersteering pump grinding is never a good thing. ive blown lines off of stuff doing turns with it at full lock. ease up a bit it wont make that much of a difference in your turn but will help the pump last longer. besides what kind of job reguires alot of u turns. i can only imagine cops needing to do TONS of u turns on a daily basis

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i deliver newspapers lol so i gotta turn and u-turn every 2 mins for like 4 hours lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
well for the benefit of your car use a driveway to turn or switch to a wider turn. dont put so much stress on you ps pump

·
Registered
118 Posts
it doesn't take much.. just when you hear it whining, let up a little.. it's like 1/2" or something it will stop whining like that. As stated, do not hold it there or you will definitely damage the pump

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol ever since u guys it was bad, no i think i hear it evrytime but im not sure if im hearing it or im paranoid. even tho im not doing it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if the pump is bad already.. you'll hear it when you turn the wheel.. check the fluid level and put fluid in if it needs it.. that may help

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
There are several claims on other forums of the pumps exploding
Most of the time during donuts, road racing, or other events like that but i just wanted to let you know. I found several threads on other forums about it then couldnt find this thread to save my life. :no:
its a lotta work for that tiny pump to allow our 20 inch wheels to be aggressive in a 4400 lb car

·
Registered
145 Posts
yep if the pump is bad you will hear it all the time. and like i said i had an 89 ford taurus and i would turn like that till one day the lines exploded rite above the fitting. lesson learned. only took one time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts