Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and since about six months ago I own a '06 SXT. I've just ordered a DiabloSport Predator tuner, and I was wondering which canned tune to use, 91 or 93 octane since here in Europe the lowest octane gasoline I can find is 95. The car is running just fine without ticking noises even though is stock tune and according to manual I should use 89 gasoline. Could be that even it says 95 octane on the pump it is not really 95? I can see that in USA can only be found 87, 89 up to 93. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Europe Octane numbers are higher in number only, not actual octane. They use a different formula.

So Here is a approx conversion:

Europe USA
95 = 87
97 = 89
99 = 91
101 = 93

Diablo is set to US standards, so use the conversion

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and since about six months ago I own a '06 SXT. I've just ordered a DiabloSport Predator tuner, and I was wondering which canned tune to use, 91 or 93 octane since here in Europe the lowest octane gasoline I can find is 95. The car is running just fine without ticking noises even though is stock tune and according to manual I should use 89 gasoline. Could be that even it says 95 octane on the pump it is not really 95? I can see that in USA can only be found 87, 89 up to 93. Any input would be appreciated!
What you have is Research Octane Number (RON) in Europe. The US uses RON + MON divided by 2 to get octane number (R+M/2) method.

Your 95 in europe is a MON of 86. Each fuel you have there will function differently depending on the tune. Remember that the Predator richens up the fuel mixture as well as timing and octane has nothing to do with power.

I have included three things for you to read that will help you understand about power and about octane.

ACES IV will help you stabilize the fuel, utilized more power out of the fuel and lubricate the upper cylinders and cylinder components.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116340

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105569

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

This should give you all the information you need on gasoline, detonation and octane value.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for quick reply! So I've been using 87 (95) instead of 89 (98) all along. By the way, 95 and 98 are the only types available, so would you say 98 is the one to use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I've found on Wikipedia about gasoline octane, RON is used in Europe, and AKI in North America, AKI=(RON+MON)/2:

Fuel RON MON AKI

diesel fuel 15–25
requirement for a typical two-stroke outboard engine[6] 69 65 67
E10 gasoline 87–93
"regular" gasoline in US and Canada 91–92 82–83 87
"EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" 95 85–86 90–91
"premium" gasoline in US and Canada 97-98 88–89 93
"SuperPlus" in Germany and Great Britain 98 89–90 93–94
"BP Ultimate 102"[7] 102 93–94 97–98
E85 gasoline 105

So, to answer my own question, I have used EuroPremium 95 which corresponds to AKI 90-91, I have used unknowingly the correct fuel. I will be using 91 canned tune.
Thank you Brian for the links, if I lived in USA for sure I would have used your oils and ACES IV, but considering postage and customs ...:confused:
Speaking of oil, I still can't find around here any 10W-30, so I'm using instead Mobil 1 5W-30, but that's another thread.:driving:

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
This is what I've found on Wikipedia about gasoline octane, RON is used in Europe, and AKI in North America, AKI=(RON+MON)/2:

Fuel RON MON AKI

diesel fuel 15–25
requirement for a typical two-stroke outboard engine[6] 69 65 67
E10 gasoline 87–93
"regular" gasoline in US and Canada 91–92 82–83 87
"EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" 95 85–86 90–91
"premium" gasoline in US and Canada 97-98 88–89 93
"SuperPlus" in Germany and Great Britain 98 89–90 93–94
"BP Ultimate 102"[7] 102 93–94 97–98
E85 gasoline 105

So, to answer my own question, I have used EuroPremium 95 which corresponds to AKI 90-91, I have used unknowingly the correct fuel. I will be using 91 canned tune.
Thank you Brian for the links, if I lived in USA for sure I would have used your oils and ACES IV, but considering postage and customs ...:confused:
Speaking of oil, I still can't find around here any 10W-30, so I'm using instead Mobil 1 5W-30, but that's another thread.:driving:
Hey,

Glad you found the links informative. We do ship the QuantumBlue oils to Europe and Asia and other places even via postal service. The ACES IV is something else as it has other restrictions that can still be sent there, but does increase the cost.

Thanks for the response!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
where are you at in europe? Im in europe for 3 months and looking to find some chargers around...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where are you at in europe? Im in europe for 3 months and looking to find some chargers around...
You won't find many Chargers around since the car is not imported in Europe. I live further east in Constanta , Romania, and I know only one more Charger in my city and maybe 4-5 more all around the country. Probably in Germany are more, but not by much. People here are still looking at my car like some kind of freak.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You won't find many Chargers around since the car is not imported in Europe. I live further east in Constanta , Romania, and I know only one more Charger in my city and maybe 4-5 more all around the country. Probably in Germany are more, but not by much. People here are still looking at my car like some kind of freak.
Im in England, near the city of Harrogate, and there is an american military base nearby called Menwith Hill, so far ive seen a black charger sxt and black challenger RT....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious, how they manage to drive them on the "wrong" side of the road!?

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
We use the European numbers here as well. A general rule is cars that require at least 89 in the UA use 95 here. Cars needing at least 91 use 98.

You can get 91 here, which is around 87 I would guess.

I use 98 in my 410 charger. Just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We use the European numbers here as well. A general rule is cars that require at least 89 in the UA use 95 here. Cars needing at least 91 use 98.

You can get 91 here, which is around 87 I would guess.

I use 98 in my 410 charger. Just fine.
According to info found on other sites 95 corresponds to 91 USA and 98 to 93. I still have to try 91 tune to see how it goes with 95 fuel. Using higher octane fuel than required will not do nothing bad except maybe lowering MPG, but using lower than normal might lead to LT retard.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I live in Sweden and always go to Shell and fill up with the V-Power (99 european octane)
Did the same (filling V-Power at Shell) when I was driving the car in California.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess it depends from brand to brand and even from one filling station to another. I recently did a test using different gasoline from same station and one different brand and recording LT and ST knock at WOT. The results where surprising: with 95 octane from OMV I got 1.5 degrees of LT knock retard, the same with 100 octane from the same station, and using 99+ octane from a different brand I got 3 degrees of LT knock retard for longer periods, much worse than the usual 95 I use. I know fore sure I'll stay away from that brand. I didn't test the V-power yet, they are out of the market in my country lately.

·
Registered
486 Posts
OK here the german octane values:

normal fuel: 91
"super" fuel: 95
"super plus" fuel: 98
"shell v-power" fuel: 100

in switzerland (because I live next to the swiss boarder and get my fuel there)
normal fuel: 95
"super" fuel: 98
"shell v-power" fuel: 100

I always get the swiss normal fuel = 95 octane for my srt and everything is fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In Europe you should use the no name gas stations,
it's cheaper and they have the same quality like the Big Companies !

·
Registered
486 Posts
yeah thats true but there is one country in Europe where it is cheaper than anywhere in Europe, doesnt matter if it is one of the Big Companies.

Yesterday I paid 1.05 Euro for one Liter of 95 Octane Gas.

I love Switzerland :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, I know, in Austria too,....when I think about it
in every Countrie in Europe is it cheaper as in Germany :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I normally use the 95 octane with the 91+CAI tune, no knock whatsoever... i tried V power with the 93CAI tune and absolutely no difference, what you get at the pump is just the same **** with different prices...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts