Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning static check engine sign came on.... i took help of this forum to check the code.... it came out to be P0456.
I checked gas cap it looked fine but still i ordered new one.

few minutes ago again i went to see if i missed any problem on gas cap or not and i noticed that small metal lid inside the neck of fuel tank is missing.... i don't even know what is it called. That metal lid closes on its own when we take out fuel pump nozzle and goes in when we push nozzle inside.
its missing:confused:

and if it fell inside gas tank should i take it to mechanic to flush it out?

Can that be an issue for code P0456? how can i find the replacement?

Its 2006 Charger R/T

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
This morning static check engine sign came on.... i took help of this forum to check the code.... it came out to be P0456.
I checked gas cap it looked fine but still i ordered new one.

few minutes ago again i went to see if i missed any problem on gas cap or not and i noticed that small metal lid inside the neck of fuel tank is missing.... i don't even know what is it called. That metal lid closes on its own when we take out fuel pump nozzle and goes in when we push nozzle inside.
its missing:confused:

and if it fell inside gas tank should i take it to mechanic to flush it out?

Can that be an issue for code P0456? how can i find the replacement?

Its 2006 Charger R/T
I don't think it provides much of a seal. The loose gas cap can take a couple of days to go away after you correct the issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply... but is that metal lid thing of any issue if missing?? what is called and is there any replacement number or any way to fix it?

i ordered new gas cap on ebay.... will take atleast week or so to arrive...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Suscribed - had this happen to me. Didn't have a code, just happen to notice that the little lid in the fuel tank neck was suddenly missing when I pulled out the fuel pump nozzle after recently filling up. Nothing wrong with my gas cap, and I'm not getting any codes since this happened 3 days ago. I am also wondering if this is a big deal. I am thinking it is an emissions-related thing...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The metal flapper is spring-loaded in the filler neck. Did you check to see if it got stuck open - maybe stick your finger in the filler opening and see if the flapper is hung on something. If it did happen to fall into the fuel tank, I don't think it will harm anything. The pumps have strainers on their inlets to keeps stuff from getting into the pumps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts