Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that when we put on new rims, you should purchase new tire pressure sensors otherwise the ones that are on originally will cause the light to stay on?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Is it true that when we put on new rims, you should purchase new tire pressure sensors otherwise the ones that are on originally will cause the light to stay on?
why wouldnt the light come on if the new wheels dont have sensors?

the sensors are in the valve stems....

just buy an extra set and put on the new wheels or swap from your old wheels the sensors..

·
Registered
531 Posts
If your using the same tires, (thus removing the tire and wheel from the car and storing the assembly) you will want to buy 4 more sensors.

Problem is that you have to program the car to look at the new sensors. Dealers charge various ammounts for this service. I do this for free when someone buys the tires or rims through me. But that's only good for people that live in my area.

If you by new rims and snow tires, to swap out twice a year, the cost of reprograming may be a bit much.

The following is NOT recommended.
Remove all 4 sensors, Remove the spare tire, have a tire shop place all 4 sensors in the spare tire, preferaby in bubble pack or something to stop noise. Then you can use normal valve stems in the tires,
BUT
you will not be able to use the spare
you wll not know if a tire is going low.

·
Registered
531 Posts
did you install the rims on the car, or was it a shop.

The computer has to know the sensors are there, each has it's own serial number and if the computer isn't looking for the correct 4 sensors it will not see them

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I mounted/balanced and installed them myself.

The light came on the first tiem i started it, went fr a drive, came back turned it off let it sit for a minute, tried it again and it was off.

Im wondering if theyre working properly. I know the light comes on at a lower PSI than the minimum I want to run these tires at so I check them weekly. I might jack it up tomorrow and let the air out of one and see what happens.

·
Registered
531 Posts
don't bother, it may have relearned itself
-every car is different
When you drive it it will set the light on, (usually goes in to learn mode at the same time)
it's possible that when it goes in to learn mode that if it sees the same 4 sensors for a certain period of time it will auto learn.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I'm about %99 sure this car does not learn them specifically, it judges which tire is where by having three location sensors, one each for the fronts, and drivers side rear, the one left out is assumed to be the passenger side rear.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do all chargers have tire pressure sensors? or is it an option/package?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm about %99 sure this car does not learn them specifically, it judges which tire is where by having three location sensors, one each for the fronts, and drivers side rear, the one left out is assumed to be the passenger side rear.
Do you have any links to info about that? I'd like to know myself exactly how it works on these.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I'll do some looking tomorrow. The location sensors and logic, I'm sure of, the serail number thing I'm supposing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I changed rims and reused my old sensors. No problems whatsoever.
Yes, you wouldn't have any problems with the monitors doing that.

Just a note, i think the TPMS sensors are a great tihng, and wish my car had them, the only problems i've seen with them is due to corrosion, sometimes the valve cores become frozen in them, and sometimes the 'nut' becomes frozen on it, requiring new sensors when that happens. Also on higher mileage cars the gaskets around the base of them can leak if they are reused, most places will charge a small fee to replace the gasket, nut, and core with new parts when the tires are removed from the rims.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I didn't have to reprogram anything. The dealer tried to get me to pay over $100 to have it done. I never saw a light from the TPMS... So I guess it was automatic.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Rob, I'll send you an email tomorrow with a few PDF pages.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts