Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the normal oil temperature on a fully warmed up ‘19 Scat Charger? 392 Hemi.
When it’s fully warmed up. I’m getting 220-225. But obviously when I’m cruising, the temp goes down a little. The coolant temp is always a little lower too I think.
‘Thanks.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In mine, the operating oil temp was always above the coolant temp. And transmission temp was below coolant temp.

My oil temp routinely was 219. Sometimes higher. Yours is normal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Temp range changes due to season change and driving style, etc.
On my 17 SP(46k miles), I keep the gauge cluster set on oil temp, but scroll through the 3 main temps on a regular basis. Water temp is usually just under 200, trans under that maybe mid 180s. I seem to remember my oil temps running 200 ish. Sometimes it was a struggle to get to 212(boil off any condensation in the oil). I just changed oil and temps seem to be running 200 to 210 easy. If I get on it and do a speed run or something it gets in the 220s, but never is that the norm.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quality syn oil does not start having issues til the 270* range if I recall correctly.

For my 2011 Pursuit, which has the oil cooler my oil temps will stay around 200* in the city, colder seasons it will hover around the 195* area. Highway depending on season and age of oil I have noticed 205*, to 217*. I noticed as oil gets older the temp will rise a few degrees overall on highway cruising.

On the Dragons Tail, with low speeds but sustained high rpms, Before I put the SRT radiator in I recorded top oil temp of 245*. Now with the SRT radiator I see max of 236* last time I went out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Good point about the full synthetic oil. I use the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats the normal oil temperature on a fully warmed up ‘19 Scat Charger? 392 Hemi.
When it’s fully warmed up. I’m getting 220-225. But obviously when I’m cruising, the temp goes down a little. The coolant temp is always a little lower too I think.
‘Thanks.
In warm weather, your car seems to be running at no higher temperature than other 392s. My 2019 Scat Pack ran at similar temperatures last summer.
‘Thanks.
‘Thanks.
Took delivery of a new 2019 Charger Scat Pack last year. It ran in the 220-225 range as your's does. After reading other threads on this topic, my conclusion is that this is normal for the 392. Since taking delivery in May 2019, I drove this car from Pennsylvania to Texas and back. That was in November, but we averaged between 75 and 85 mph for most of the trip driving day and night for three days. Engine oil temp ran mostly between 215 to 219 and sometimes a little over 220 depending on acceleration and grade. If your car isn't fully broken in, wait until it is. Operating temperatures should drop a bit.

On October 7, 2005, I took delivery of a 2006, LS2 Corvette at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. We drove the car home to Whitehall Township, PA and never noticed unusually high temps, although the LS2 normally runs between 210 to 217 on long drives depending on how it's being driven and outside temperatures. My 392 seems to run about 5 to 8 degrees hotter than the LS2 under similar conditions, but a 392 makes 485 SAE Certified HP, whereas the Corvette LS2 makes between 410 and 415 HP using the new for 2006 SAE J1349 rating protocol without verification.

Bottom Line: Don't be concerned about your oil temp. Looks normal to me. Horsepower makes heat. We are not driving economy cars with 4 or 6 cylinder engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts