Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nord-Lock Locking Washers - A Great Solution For Exhaust Leak

First off, credit for this find goes to Cam (LX Forums). After a few months and no less than 8 attempts to keep my bolts tightened between the header to the mids (high flows), I was about to go "nuts" (no pun intended). My previous attempts have included spring washers (common lock washers), Grade 8, and double nutting the bolt - all to no avail. It's been driving me crazy!

In another search for a solution, I stumbled on Cam's thread on LX Forums (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=58542) and the video below showing a great explanation of how the Nord-Lock Washer works and compares to a variety of other locking methods (a very interesting video). These are not only great for headers and exhaust, they're great for anything that endures a lot of vibration. I know a few Harley-Davidson owners that will be buying me some whiskey for this.

The Nord-Lock Washers come in pairs and it takes one pair to equal the traditional one lock washer, but the video will show/explain why and how that works so well. I bought 10 pairs (I wanted extra) of the stainless steel 10mm washers for my application. Cam has had them on since March 2008 (7 months) with no more loosening problems.

I bought them from http://www.mcmaster.com/ (type "Nord Lock" in the search box) for $17 for 10 pair of stainless steel, Part# 91812A231. You could also opt for 10 pair of zinc-plated steel for $9, Part# 91074A131.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey thanks for the props bud. But I have been using these for a couple years now. Ever since the high fows cats came out. I have never had a problem. BTW, that vid is a crack up!, nice find.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks for the post, i have had the same issues, lost a couple bolts completely from the mids.

Ona side note, i have heard the correct way is to replace the gaskets as well. Does that advice warrant any consideration?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post, i have had the same issues, lost a couple bolts completely from the mids.

Ona side note, i have heard the correct way is to replace the gaskets as well. Does that advice warrant any consideration?
Lost them completely? Holy carp!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Good post I will have to look into those, as mine are always loose. Tried lock tite, but it actually melts at exhaust temps....

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Damn I just checked into these and that is what I used on my headers but not on the downpipes....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were delivered last night and I put them in this morning. Time will tell, but I'm actually optimistic for a change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They were delivered last night and I put them in this morning. Time will tell, but I'm actually optimistic for a change.

sorry to resurrect this, I wanted to see how things are holding up?

I've bought these for my exhaust manifold to head connection and they worked great. But I had a leak at my turbo to manifold connection, I didn't use the Nord Locks for this connection yet. I only had about 3k miles on the washers (header side) with no problems. I wanted to see how these worked out for you long term?

miles?

thanks i advance for any info

Paul:beerchug:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Guys this don`t make no sense.....i`v never had that happen on any of my cars. I have had to check my header bolts, but NEVER the mid bolts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts