Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys was wondering what I should know going in to my first oil change service appointment coming up on 6k miles, I've done a lot of lurking and research on the web and hear a lot of guys saying to make sure the dealer uses the right oil or ways dealers use bad oil or don't really change the filter. The dealer has a pretty good reputation on google and such and is the one I bought my scat pack from but ofc the service and sales are separate entities. I wanted to know

1.) Any tips or advice on what to look for to make sure my oil change is done correctly, and I'm not finessed as in crap oil used or crappy oil filter job or the wrong filter should I demand the oil filter changed out be given to me and would the right type of filter be listed in the service ticket if I do get one with the part number I read on a forum some guy had a 5.7l filter put on his 6.4 by the dealer can I request my oil filter be given back to me after the service since its mine technically?

2.) Do dealers or mechanics in general put the type of oil used in the paperwork or should I ask them if they use the recommended oil listed in the owner's manual OW-40 and ask for proof or would that be too much to ask?

3.) I have heard of oil overfill and such is there a guide on the dipstick that shows me if its overfilled/underfilled or a diagram or such and I heard it must be filled with 7qts how would I verify its filled with 7 qts?

4.) What should a fair and reasonable price be for an oil change/filter change for the 6.4 L 392 Scatpack aswell as a tire rotation at 6k miles as hinted by the manual?

5.) My owner's manual says inspect CV joints at 6k would that be an additional charge or can I just tell them to do that during the oil change or is it something I can do on my own?

Thanks!

· Registered
4,203 Posts
The part number for the oil should be on the receipt and will be 7 individual quarts as that's the way they come. If it says BULK, I'd be concerned.

The filter is the 899, if you see the 339 then that's the wrong filter.

I never let a dealer touch my wheels, they're normally too incompetent to manage this without screwing something up and rotations are overrated, you won't get many miles out of these tires no matter what you do.

$100 tops for an oil change, my dealer charges about $80.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part number for the oil should be on the receipt and will be 7 individual quarts as that's the way they come. If it says BULK, I'd be concerned.

The filter is the 899, if you see the 339 then that's the wrong filter.

I never let a dealer touch my wheels, they're normally too incompetent to manage this without screwing something up and rotations are overrated, you won't get many miles out of these tires no matter what you do.

$100 tops for an oil change, my dealer charges about $80.

appreciate you boss!

· Registered
172 Posts
I go to the dealer all the time for my oil changes. My last on the Scat was Oct 7th and the cost was $149. You can go to your Mopar page and purchase a 3 oil change with tire rotation package. The cost was $215. Make sure to put actual mileage or it may not come up in the dealer system. I estimated and they wouldn't take it because of the actual mileage on the car. I call BS, and they gave me coupon for 70 off. The part number for the oil used on my receipt: 68523970-AA. GL

· Registered
8,242 Posts
I also never let a dealer touch my charger other than a warranty repair when my water pump seized.

There's really nothing for you to check other than the invoice since you can't see anything with the plastic belly pan in the way. @Slidd gave you good advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: jc5013058

· Premium Member
3,121 Posts
jc501:
Congrats on becoming a Scat Pack owner. While your warranty is in force, you will want to follow the verbage in your owners manual, to avoid creating any reason for a dealer to deny a warranty repair.

The 6.4L engine requires an oil change every 6 months, or 6k miles, whereas the 5.7L in my '14 R/T only requires it when the OLM monitor indicates, OR at least once a calendar year.

In the case of my R/T, the manual also says to rotate the tires at every oil change, or when abnormal wear is noted.
There was a '14 R/T owner here whose "dealer" denied warranty coverage on a failed rear differential because there was no documented tire rotations in their system.

That was absolutely 100% BS, but you get the idea.

Don

Reactions: jc5013058

· Registered
5,670 Posts
For an oil change at a dealer...anywhere from $100-$170.

· Registered
4,203 Posts
And definitely check the receipt before you pay. I got an oil change done on the road at a dealer and the receipt showed the lawnmower size 339 filter. They put the car back on the rack to confirm the correct 899 filter was used and said it was a computer glitch on the receipt. I was still a little apprehensive about it but on the next change it did indeed have the correct filter on it.

· Registered
30 Posts
My wife's 3.6 had the first 3 or 4 changes done at two different places, one was a dealer.
I finally changed it, and discovered a plastic shield was missing. Too late for me to blame anyone, I did suggest to the service writer that it would have been nice if the oil change person had mentioned it was missing! Maybe they could have sold me one, too!

· Registered
7,484 Posts
I have to inject my 2 cents and say the service department is a key ingredient in value. A service departments capability, customer service, and bredth of services has always been part of my car purchase decision.

If you can't trust a dealership to service a car you should not entrust them to do warranty work. And thus why buy the car from them to begin with.

Let the dealership replace the oil and if you have any concern what oil they use just buy it at the parts department and hand it to the service department to use when you take the car to the service bay and just pay that labor separately.

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,351 Posts
I only used the dealer for an oil change once. Nothing bad happened, it’s just terribly inconvenient for me with my hours.
The tire rotation thing is a whole different beast with the cars you all are driving. But with mine, rotating has drastically extended the life of my tires. I do a lot of turns and uturns.

· Registered
811 Posts
I would use the dealer but tell the service advisor you know the 6.4 has different requirements then the 5.7 and want to make sure the right oil and filter are used.
My charger isn't dealer maintained but I have another car that is and yeah I always check the bill to see what was used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts