Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm confused .... the more 'research' I do the more absolutely confused I get :). This might stem from the fact that I know just about jack crap about a car. I've even thought about taking an Autoshop class at the local Community College to at least get some kind of general understanding..... ANYWAYS ... onto my questions!!

1. CAI. First off ... will this void any warranties? I've got a 2009 SXT and all warranties intact ;). Secondly ..... I've read about a million different posts about it and well .... I'm confused. So it changes the sound? of the engine? Which ones are the good ones? I've still come up blank on the lx forums CAI faceoff.

2. Exhaust. I'm not big on those loud exhausts. I actually find them a bit irritating, however, I do like a low rumble. I was looking into dual exhausts (and was looking to a more modest R/T dual exhaust?). What does everyone suggest because I'm absolutely stumped.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Stay away from the auto tech class. The best way to learn is doing what you're doing right now. And these tech classes wont teach you want you're asking about anyway.

Regarding the warranty: It depends on your dealer really, unless you get the MOPAR CAI. Any MOPAR part that you put on your car will NOT void the warranty, because MOPAR is part of Chrysler. Some dealerships are jerks though and will say "if it's not a Mopar aftermarket part than it's going to hinder your warranty". Remember though, only the part of the car that's affected by the aftermarket part will be voided. Switching to an aftermarket CAI wont damage the warranty on your brakes, for example.

But, I'd ask them. Thousands of us here have different types of CAIs and none of us has ever had a problem with warranty.

The most popular CAIs are C&L, Airaid and the AFE. As far as sound? They don't produce any sound. What they allow is the sound of your intake manifold to pass easily out through the filter, so you can hear the engine sucking in the air. That's all. It does sound nice though :)

As far as a low rumbly exhaust for the SXT? I have no idea which one is best for that, but I'm sure some other people will chime in soon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thumper. I was hoping for a little more help too ;).

As for the class .... I was looking at a general understanding on how a car works because I don't know about crankshafts, pistons, or lord knows what else .... Any other info from others?

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
All in due time. The major internals of an engine should be last on your list of things to learn. But, if the class if free (like vocational technical school) than it would be cool to take it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts