Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put new rims and tires on my 2019 charger scat pack. At first (other than a TPMS issue for a few weeks) everything was great. BUT then I started noticing a sound coming from the front end when I put the brakes on as I'm coming to a complete stop (it sounds like something ticking at a consistent rate with how fast the tires are spinning). I also started noticing a more bumpy ride and mild shaking of the car and steering wheel. I got my brakes checked, everything was fine. Got the wheels checked, everything was torqued on properly. Got the tires remounted and balanced, everything was fine. But I'm still getting the small ticking sound when I'm stopping and some wobbling and shaking. It seems to be worse when I first start driving in the morning and then gets a little bit better as I'm driving for the next 10-20 minutes but the sound doesn't go away when I'm stopping. Both my mechanic and tire shop couldn't see anything wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? (I searched through several other threads but couldn't find anything similar so I apologize if this issue has been resolved before). Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There's a couple of things it could be.

The tires might be soft enough to flat spot when parked for a while (even overnight). Most of the time that does go away after a few minutes of driving. Idk about the clicking, but it will cause the vibrations.

Next, it could be the tape weights on the inside of the wheel barrel making contact with the calipers. It might not be enough contact to pop them off, just enough to make a tick. It does happen and you can see the marks on the wheel weights where they hit (if they are).

Also, there's a possibility the wheels/ tires need to be road force balanced. I don't think this is the case because the vibration decreases after a bit of driving, but it might be worth looking into.

Lastly, if the wheels aren't torqued to the right specs in the right order (not put on with an impact gun- that is the worst thing that could be done) it could cause all kinds of issues, from ticking to warped brake rotors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a couple of things it could be.

The tires might be soft enough to flat spot when parked for a while (even overnight). Most of the time that does go away after a few minutes of driving. Idk about the clicking, but it will cause the vibrations.

Next, it could be the tape weights on the inside of the wheel barrel making contact with the calipers. It might not be enough contact to pop them off, just enough to make a tick. It does happen and you can see the marks on the wheel weights where they hit (if they are).

Also, there's a possibility the wheels/ tires need to be road force balanced. I don't think this is the case because the vibration decreases after a bit of driving, but it might be worth looking into.

Lastly, if the wheels aren't torqued to the right specs in the right order (not put on with an impact gun- that is the worst thing that could be done) it could cause all kinds of issues, from ticking to warped brake rotors.
Very thorough response thank you for that. I'll check the tape weights later tonight to see if I see any signs of contact. I'll also make sure it's torqued to the right specs. I've never heard of road force balancing. Do you have to ask for that specifically from a tire shop?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Very thorough response thank you for that. I'll check the tape weights later tonight to see if I see any signs of contact. I'll also make sure it's torqued to the right specs. I've never heard of road force balancing. Do you have to ask for that specifically from a tire shop?
Most shops yes, you'll have to ask for it. It's a bit more involved than just regular speed balancing.

It will tell you if you have an out of round tire/ wheel combo and if it can be corrected by rotating the tire on the wheel or if the tire or wheel are FUBAR.

Since you say it gets better after driving a while, I don't think that's the issue.

I'm leaning more towards a tape weight hitting or have already been popped off. Since they're new weights, there wouldn't even be a residue from it, especially if they weren't applied to a clean surface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most shops yes, you'll have to ask for it. It's a bit more involved than just regular speed balancing.

It will tell you if you have an out of round tire/ wheel combo and if it can be corrected by rotating the tire on the wheel or if the tire or wheel are FUBAR.

Since you say it gets better after driving a while, I don't think that's the issue.

I'm leaning more towards a tape weight hitting or have already been popped off. Since they're new weights, there wouldn't even be a residue from it, especially if they weren't applied to a clean surface.
I think it is the tape weights. I showed a pic of them here if you can confirm. It looks like scraping to me! How do I fix that?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think it is the tape weights. I showed a pic of them here if you can confirm. It looks like scraping to me! How do I fix that?
Doesn't appear to be, there would be a shiny line through them if they were hitting.

Do you have 4 pistons or 6 piston brakes?

If you have a floor jack, lift the corner and spin the wheel, then you can see how much clearance is or isn't there between the caliper and the weights.

If they're not hitting we'll try something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't appear to be, there would be a shiny line through them if they were hitting.

Do you have 4 pistons or 6 piston brakes?

If you have a floor jack, lift the corner and spin the wheel, then you can see how much clearance is or isn't there between the caliper and the weights.

If they're not hitting we'll try something else.
Ah ok. 6 piston brakes. I'll jack it up this weekend and try that. I'll return and report afterwards.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you only notice the sound when braking it's related to that. Anything else would be consistent. If the shaking happens when you aren't on the brakes it could be something loose in the steering or suspension.

You can rule out rims and tires by swapping them front to back if all 4 are the same size or from side to side if the backs are different and your tires don't have arrows showing they're only supposed to go one way.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you only notice the sound when braking it's related to that. Anything else would be consistent. If the shaking happens when you aren't on the brakes it could be something loose in the steering or suspension.

You can rule out rims and tires by swapping them front to back if all 4 are the same size or from side to side if the backs are different and your tires don't have arrows showing they're only supposed to go one way.
I've got a strange feeling he's dealing with 2 different issues. I'm leaning towards the vibration being the tires (solely based on the incorrect tpms being installed to start with) and the clicking being the 2 piece brake rotors, which are known to click anyhow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts