Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my 2010 Charger. I parked it in the driveway Saturday night after work, no obvious issues. It sat undisturbed until Tuesday morning (today) when I tried to go to work. I pressed the unlock button on the key fob and nothing happened, I just figured the battery in the fob was dead because it has been awhile since I changed it. I pulled the key out of the fob and used it to unlock the door, placed it back in the fob and into the ignition, turned it as I normally do and nothing happened. The car wouldn't start, no clicks, no lights, nothing. I returned the key to the off position and tried to remove it, it is now locked in place. The ignition still cycles through off, accessory and start, but no sounds emit and absolutely no power to anything. Glancing at the instrument cluster I noticed that the gauges are all wonky. My speedometer is pegged to max and oil temp is sitting at mid. This is very odd, because as I previously stated, I had no issues at all the last time I drove, no service lights, no dimming of lights, no pulsating, no gauges jumping...nothing, it ran as normal as always. I've performed a few searches and have seen the culprit range from blown fuse, bad ignition switch, bad ignition relay, something in the shifter and main computer module. My question is, has anyone experienced this issue and if so what caused it and if not, where would be the best place to begin looking? I had to work a 12 hr shift today, so I will be checking it out tomorrow. I appreciate any help or advice you have to offer.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Honestly sounds like your battery is on its final breath. I would get someone to help with jump cables. See if hooking up the jumper cables for a few minutes restores some normal functionality to the gauges currently acting up. And after a few minutes with the jumper cables hooked up try to start it. You can pull the battery out and have it load tested at a parts store too.

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
242 Posts
The key being stuck is the shift interlock solenoid, the dead car is probably a dead battery as ONEZ ST said. All of the out of place gauges you described could be them stuck in position when they did the start up celebration, calibration, auto sweep....whatever you call it and didn't have enough juice to keep the relay closed the whole time.

It could also be that your car and the key are no longer on speaking terms, the car may think you're trying to steal it. Do you have another key you can try? Just getting it close enough for the transponder to read it may release the ignition lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly sounds like your battery is on its final breath. I would get someone to help with jump cables. See if hooking up the jumper cables for a few minutes restores some normal functionality to the gauges currently acting up. And after a few minutes with the jumper cables hooked up try to start it. You can pull the battery out and have it load tested at a parts store too.
I put a new battery in it January 2018. I would hope that it would last more than 2 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key being stuck is the shift interlock solenoid, the dead car is probably a dead battery as ONEZ ST said. All of the out of place gauges you described could be them stuck in position when they did the start up celebration, calibration, auto sweep....whatever you call it and didn't have enough juice to keep the relay closed the whole time.

It could also be that your car and the key are no longer on speaking terms, the car may think you're trying to steal it. Do you have another key you can try? Just getting it close enough for the transponder to read it may release the ignition lock.
I will definitely put the charger on it in the morning. I just don't know what could have drained the battery. I do have another key but I think it is blitzed. Every time the second key is near, the horn sounds like it does when you press the fob button to lock it and the door locks lock and unlock. So, the second key is no longer in use.

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
242 Posts
I put a new battery in it January 2018. I would hope that it would last more than 2 years.
IMO age isn't a great indicator of expected battery life. If you live in a hot climate, let your car sit for long periods repeatedly, drive short distances repeatedly, have very low mileage for your cars age, you can expect 2-3 years out of a battery. If you have two or more of these things on your list then 2 years may be on the shorter side of the curve, but not unrealistic.

Example I live in Charlotte where it's very hot in the summer months, I drive ~3 miles to work, I work 4 days a week so my car sits Fri-Sun most of the time, and I only put about 3500 miles on a car in a year. If I get 3 years out of a battery I'll be amazed, especially with the electrical demands of newer vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Ohio and it's pretty cold right now. I drive 1.5 hours a day 3 - 4 hours a week for work. Since this is my only vehicle I drive it regularly on my off days; but recently my son and I rebuilt the whole front steering and suspension. Afterwards I took it to the shop to have an alignment performed on it. Would there have been any reason for the shop to unhook the battery for that? The alignment was done on the 17th and the current issue was yesterday. If you are wondering why we did the rebuild, it was time. I have 173K+ (mostly highway southern ohio to northern ohio, mid Ky, Michigan and several round trips to the Carolina coast. It had a plug change in the mid to high 150K. Aside from this, no other issues. I absolutely love my Charger.

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
242 Posts
Would there have been any reason for the shop to unhook the battery for that?
Shops unhook batteries for all kinds of unknown reasons, who knows whether or not they did. I doubt a random battery disconnect two weeks ago would be giving you issues now........but I just had a thought. Have you checked the battery connections to make sure you have solid contact? It could be that simple...

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
242 Posts
Did you ever solve this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put the battery on the charge. It started right up and the key came out. Just have to figure out what caused the drain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts