Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with a 2016 Charger SXT AWD. I get cold air only through drivers side main vents, floor vent, defroster and rear vents. No heat. The passenger side heat works fine. Air shifts to correct vents but only passenger gets heat. I think there are 4 total actuators, which I'm thinking likely are the issue. Not sure which one it would be, but just started out of nowhere. No clicking sound. If course, this starts right before the cooler weather is approaching.
Also, I've heard any new actuator needs to be installed with gears in same position as the one it's replacing. ? Also heard if you disconnect new batt cable for more than 15min, that this wouldn't be a concern ? Clueless about this aspect.
Can anyone help, dealer or shop will likely charge a bundle for this....and I have no cash for that.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Blend door actuator. They're plastic pieces of junk. I've replaced 3 out of 4 so far on mine. All done within the last 2 years.

I paid about $140 a pop from a local garage I've been going to for years. A dealer will charge substantially more because they'll charge for taking the dash apart which isn't necessary. You can access the passenger side ones behind the glove box which takes about 3 minutes to remove. The drivers side ones are tricky because they're up under the dash next to the steering column. I'd kill my back laying on the floor underneath the steering wheel like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have to match any gear position when replacing? My plan, if I can reach them is to pull neg batt lead, wait at least 30min before starting.
Do you just pull the old ones and replace without worry about where gears are ?
Wish I knew which one or ones I need to replace. Since issue is tied to drivers side, I'm assuming the 2 on that side, but maybe not ?
I am a big guy with a bad back, so I am not sure if I can even get to that very back one at all. I might be forced to go to my mechanic, ill buy the part tho, probably Dorman version, cheaper...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Do you have to match any gear position when replacing? My plan, if I can reach them is to pull neg batt lead, wait at least 30min before starting.
Do you just pull the old ones and replace without worry about where gears are ?
Wish I knew which one or ones I need to replace. Since issue is tied to drivers side, I'm assuming the 2 on that side, but maybe not ?
I am a big guy with a bad back, so I am not sure if I can even get to that very back one at all. I might be forced to go to my mechanic, ill buy the part tho, probably Dorman version, cheaper...
I'm not sure about matching off the teeth, someone who has done them themselves will have to chime in.

I'd pay a mechanic to do it unless you absolutely must do it on your own. To do it you literally have to lay on your back under the steering column to get up under there. I'd be unable to move for a week if I tried.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just replaced one on a jeep yesterday. I kinda moved the teeth on the actuator a bit to line up the alignment and screw holes. Screwed the actuator in and plugged it in. Turned car on, moved the temp switch up and down, and worked like a charm

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2015 Charger RT and I'm curious if he was able to do this since I'm having the same issue. The 2015+ years look different under the dash so mine for example has a bunch of motors that drive the electric tilt mechanism making it impossible to get anything up close to the actuator. Im searching the web to see if anyone with a 2015+ has done it and so far there are non. Might be the first lol been wrenching my whole life and hate dealers and the work they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts