Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have cai, bbk shortys stock cats, stock x-pipe, and two magna flows where the resonators use to be.. i been thinking about deleting the cats but is it worth doing performance wise??? any one done this to theirs

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you reduce your backpressure too much on a mostly stock motor you'll lose some low end power...keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
What he said^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Charger and the cats where already removed, to me it has plenty of power and talking to the orginal owner there was not much difference in MPG but man does she sound great.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
cammed with no cats runs great.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a catback, predator tune and deleted cats. The car runs great, sounds great & kicks ass in the upper RPM range. Only down side is your exhaust fumes will smell more. Adding a little fuel via diablo helps even out the a/f ratio a bit to compensate for the new added exhaust flow.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you're not doing any bigger mods (cam/FI) then it's more of a trade-off in terms of performance. From what I understand, the huge decrease in backpressure causes the loss of some low-end torque, but you ought to feel a slight increase in the higher end. But it sounds so good.

So. Good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks.. i might just get some hi flow cats for now.. cause i hate to risk losing that low end torque.. i took the x pipe off when i first did the exhaust that ran good 3rd 4th gear but i had no low end couldnt even get a good launch out the whole.. i put that back the very next day.. i also learned the turn downs lose the low end torque also at least it did on mine the tailpipes went right back on as well.. any one have problems with exhaust leaks with the headers i cannot get rid of it the driver side collector just wont seal to the flange 100% on the header???

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
With the restriction in the factory parts on your exhaust you'll be ok backpressure wise and you'll notice a big growl!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
IAdding a little fuel via diablo helps even out the a/f ratio a bit to compensate for the new added exhaust flow.
X2! This is because you are leaining out your air fuel mix wihich causes you to lose power and torque on the lower rpm range. Just like increasing fuel to the equation without increasing air flow richens the motor. Both are going to have effects on your power. It just depends on what you want personally. If you don't care about the power but want all the sound then gut your cats, go with a bigger exhaust or what ever pleases you. However a lot guys are starting to go with taking off the suit case muffler and putting on flowmasters and doing a reso delete. Keeping the 2.25" piping, x-pipe, cats and just making the changes to the muffler and reso's seems to open up the sound while keeping it restricted enough not to lose your low end power. But again like I said it is all about what pleases you.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
X2! This is because you are leaining out your air fuel mix wihich causes you to lose power and torque on the lower rpm range. Just like increasing fuel to the equation without increasing air flow richens the motor. Both are going to have effects on your power. It just depends on what you want personally. If you don't care about the power but want all the sound then gut your cats, go with a bigger exhaust or what ever pleases you. However a lot guys are starting to go with taking off the suit case muffler and putting on flowmasters and doing a reso delete. Keeping the 2.25" piping, x-pipe, cats and just making the changes to the muffler and reso's seems to open up the sound while keeping it restricted enough not to lose your low end power. But again like I said it is all about what pleases you.
But when you do this you gain power, it's just you need the add fuel with the diablo or get a cmr tune.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
YOur not leaning out your air fuel. The exhaust plays no part in this. The exhaust is after the combustion chamber. The only thing that plays into air fuel is from the air filter to the combustion chamber and thats it. Changing fuel because you put your exhaust on does nothing. Remember when you change fuel on the diablo its only at WOT, no other time so if you changed anything its only at wide open throttle and changes nothing during the other 98% of throttle. The only way on earth the exhaust can hamper your air fuel is when you run open headers or cutouts and allow airflow to go back to the combustion chamber from the outside at low more turbulent rpms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts