Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am well aware of the fact that NJ DMV inspection facilities will fail a car for having any tint, other than factory, on the driver & passenger windows. My question goes out to NJ members who have had the driver and passenger windows tinted. How do you get your cars to pass inpection? Will an independent privately owned inspection facility pass your car with the driver and passenger windows tinted? I can't see why not. It's not like they would be faking emmission results. If it becomes an issue, I can just say I had the windows tinted after the inspection which is totally plausable. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Regardless of inspection you'll still get ticketed by the police for having them. You just can't have it in NJ.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Regardless of inspection you'll still get ticketed by the police for having them. You just can't have it in NJ.
That has been my experience as well (on a friend's car). He cajoled some shop to pass his 928 with tinted windows. Over the past few years, he's gotten ticketed a few times and had to show up with a bogus receipt that the tint was removed. It isn't worth the hassle in NJ.

Best,

·
Registered
213 Posts
I live in jersey too,that's why I only tinted the back window and the two back doors so the man doesn't hassle me.I had a ram with tinted windows it passed inspection at the dmv the first time because I rolled the windows down and they never checked them,but then the next time I went through they did check them and it failed so I had to take the tint off,kinda sucked.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Nj has the worst laws for autos...like the front plate law...sucked when i had to mount a front plate to that beautiful front clip...:( so i just held off on the tint...not really that big of deal plus i heard that tinting the back window reduces radio reception...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most good aftermarket shops that tint windows have tint that has no metal in it for this reason. My whole car is tinted and did not affect the reception whatsoever.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The likelyhood that you would get an independent shop to look past your tint is slim to none. I removed a 3rd brake lamp on a Explorer that we customized and could not get a shop that I deal with all the time to pass me. If they ever got caught they would get fined and loose their licence to inspect. Certainly not worth the $60 they get from you for a private inspection. Most local cops don't care to much about front window tint, unless you go crazy dark. The State Police however have a different view. My son got a ticket for having 50% on his front windows. He was made to take it off. After he did you would have been hard pressed to even see the difference between the now tintless front windows and the rear with 50%. Some laws in NJ just suck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm so torn because my car is just screaming for tinted windows but I don't want to deal with the law. I'm not a big fan of the back windows and rear window only tinted. If it were a show car, I would just do it. I drive this car every day :D and my odds of getting pulled over are just too high. Maybe they will change the laws, yeah right! Thanks again and all have a great weekend!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got my car inspected first and then got the windows tinted. 20% all the way around and have not had any problems at all from the local police. For the most part State Police won't bother you, I did get pulled by one State Police but my get out of jail free card got me out of a ticket. I have had mine done for about 8 months now. I say do it, my car looked so much better having it, and if you do get a ticket I think the fine is like $45, view obstruction is what they call the ticket.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got my car inspected first and then got the windows tinted. 20% all the way around and have not had any problems at all from the local police. For the most part State Police won't bother you, I did get pulled by one State Police but my get out of jail free card got me out of a ticket. I have had mine done for about 8 months now. I say do it, my car looked so much better having it, and if you do get a ticket I think the fine is like $45, view obstruction is what they call the ticket.
So what happens when inspection time comes around again?

·
Registered
580 Posts
NJ Police don't pull over and ticket out-of-state vehicles, do they?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NJ Police don't pull over and ticket out-of-state vehicles, do they?
I used to live in Brooklyn in 1989 and I drove a Red TransAm GTA with 20% tint all around and never had a problem in NY beacuse it was legal in NY back then. I bought a house in NJ and the first week I lived in NJ was pulled over by a local cop for window tint even though I still had NY tags. I didn't get a ticket because the cop said that I was from NY and he didn't notice my plates until after he pulled me over. Being that tint is now illegal in NY as well, I'm not sure if they can or can't ticket you. They certainly can pull you over for any number of bogus reasons, but ticketing I don't know.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ISNT NJ PART OF THE NAZI 3RD RIKE?????? THE NJ STATE POLICE DRESS LIKE THEY ARE SS STORM TROOPERS :smoke:
Yeah, the State Troopers are very intimidating and scare the crapola out of me. They even march like Nazis! Take a look a these recruits :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
In New Jersey new car inspection stickers are good for 4 years, so I won't have to get it inspected again until 2011. By then I'll be driving something different so it won't matter.
That sucks, in PA its every YEAR.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i have 35% on the front and the only time i got pulled over is about 10 mins out of the tint shop... i got it done in ny state where i got my clearbra put on and as soon as i crossed the border into mahwah i swear the guy was waiting for me. anyway, other than that i have never had a problem with cops. i dont have a front license plate either, so that gives them 2 reasons to pull me over, but knock on wood havent had a problem. a buddy of mine just got his durango inspected with tints at a local shop... they gave him a hastle but he flipped the guy $20 and whipped out a doctors note that says he is eyes are sensative to light (no lie, his eyes really are sensative to light, its not a bs doctors note :)). like a few have said... ill worry about it in 4 years!

·
Registered
112 Posts
slip the guy a 20 at the local shop and he will pass you. works in NJ and NY. i dont have tint and im on the fence of putting it cause i go back and forth between NJ and NY and in NY you get a 75 dollar ticket for each window tinted. like the others said inspection lasts 4 years in NJ so you wont have to worry.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Yeah, the State Troopers are very intimidating and scare the crapola out of me. They even march like Nazis! Take a look a these recruits :eek:
all they have to do is march with their legs straight and their right hand thrown up and out and we have HITLERS SS troop's :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts