Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgable, but I just got this from the service department as part of their "specials":

Install NITROGEN in your tires!

It's ONLY $10.00 to extend your tire life up to 30%!

Never adjust your tire pressure again! And keep your tires running cool!

:knockout:

I've never heard of that...is that a good idea? Bad? I don't have the first clue...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think this is in a thread around here somewhere, search NITROGEN and there should be something about it......

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Don't do it - it's bollocks.

Especially don't do it if you have to pay.....:knockout:

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
BTW - all that's written on that leaflet is sh1te..... :smoke:

·
Registered
487 Posts
My "follow Arfur around CF 2 cents"?

Worthless - or "Bollocks" in Arf's case. Yes - NASCAR will do it - its easier to control the Tire Temperature and Pressure.

For a passenger vehicle - meaningless - unless you go to the track fairly often. Search Snopes.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My "follow Arfur around CF 2 cents"?

Worthless - or "Bollocks" in Arf's case. Yes - NASCAR will do it - its easier to control the Tire Temperature and Pressure.

For a passenger vehicle - meaningless - unless you go to the track fairly often. Search Snopes.
How can you follow???

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the info here, folks. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgable, but I just got this from the service department as part of their "specials":

Install NITROGEN in your tires!

It's ONLY $10.00 to extend your tire life up to 30%!

Never adjust your tire pressure again! And keep your tires running cool!

:knockout:

I've never heard of that...is that a good idea? Bad? I don't have the first clue...
Good idea. I had it done back in December of 2006. Since then, I had a screw in my one tire and got regular air in it (NTB didn't have nitrogen). All my tires have stayed at steady pressure, except the one with regular air.

My dad makes fun of me for getting the nitrogen, but I think it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good idea. I had it done back in December of 2006. Since then, I had a screw in my one tire and got regular air in it (NTB didn't have nitrogen). All my tires have stayed at steady pressure, except the one with regular air.

My dad makes fun of me for getting the nitrogen, but I think it is totally worth it.
Same thing here! I did not place nitrogen on my screwed tire... thats the one I always have to check, the other ones have steady pressure!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Look - don't waste your money on it - it does not do half the things that is claimed and of the things it might do, the effect is negligable.

At the end of the day, I can only advise - it's your money.

Oh - and if Nitrogen was 'the way to go', why only now (well over a hundred years after the automobile was mass produced) would this gas be recommended?

If you want to take anything away from this thread, read HemiChemi's scientific analysis WRT nitrogen. This guy is a chemist (you might have figured.....) and he KNOWS what he's talking about. His advice is also free - he has no financial gain from giving his professional opinion. Unlike most of the places that peddle this snake oil..... :)

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts

I think you should listen to your wiser father! :)

One tyre, which has been repaired, seems to be losing pressure when comperd to the other non-repaired tyres....? Mmmmmmm. Let me see if I can't work out what the problem might be there....

BTW, any tyre that loses pressure between the 3K servicings should be eyed suspiciously..... I have air in all of mine and even between 5K servicings (or six months) NONE of mine have ever required topping up.

Same thing here! I did not place nitrogen on my screwed tire... thats the one I always have to check, the other ones have steady pressure!
Again - the damaged tyre appears to lose pressure when compared to the undamaged tyres....? :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
he he snake oil:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder if nitrogen in the tires would make our rims brittle. Also I would hope that the inside of the tire is dry during the insertion of nitrogen as ice will definitely occur (At least initially)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes,
Nitrogen is better than air. It does not carry any moisture so it's not prone to corrosion inside of the wheel.
It maintains proper tire pressures by not fluctuating as much as air improving tire wear wear, improving fuel economy, handling and ride comfort.
Tire shops want to charge for it because the Nitrogen machines cost up to $5000.00. You should not ever pay more then $7.00 a tire. Have them throw it in as part of the deal. You can mix air into it later if you need to.
Radshop

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone ever had their wheels corrode because of having air in them?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yes,
Nitrogen is better than air. It does not carry any moisture so it's not prone to corrosion inside of the wheel.
It maintains proper tire pressures by not fluctuating as much as air improving tire wear wear, improving fuel economy, handling and ride comfort.
Tire shops want to charge for it because the Nitrogen machines cost up to $5000.00. You should not ever pay more then $7.00 a tire. Have them throw it in as part of the deal. You can mix air into it later if you need to.
Radshop
Utter balderdash! :smoke:

(other than the nitrogen may be dry).

p.s. read up on the expansion of gases with temperature change - there's hardly any difference between any gas - also air is 70+% nitrogen....

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Has anyone ever had their wheels corrode because of having air in them?
I have only ever seen severe corrosion on alloys that were about 20-30 years old....and I wouldn't be fitting them on a performance ride anyway... And even then I was unsure as to whether this was due to moisture in the air that filled them, or at some point they have been left sitting in a garden with deflated tyres for a year or two....

This is one of these topics that no matter how much 'real theory' is used to back up the claims that this is a waste of time and money, people will still believe what they want, or what somebody selling the stuff tells them.

In an aircraft tyre - yes - safety!

In a NASCAR tyre with extremes of operating temperature and the need to control tyre dynamics via control of tyre pressure to within a psi - yes - competitive edge.

On a road car - bollocks. Complete bunkum.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts