Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running Iridiums? Have seen alot of banter about not using them or platinums in the hemi's. Just wondering if anybody is using them and what kind of results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed Iridiums on my 06 Charger 2 months ago with no codes and no negative issues that I can tell. I have also had Iridiums in my 04 Ram truck for the last two years with no negative issues as well. I don't have a base line of the performance before installation so all I have is the butt dyno. Charger pulls alot harder through the low rpm's. Gas mileage has gone up about .9, not positive on the exact number as I don't pay much attention to that number. After the install, I switched over to 91 octane from 89 and continued to get more out of the Charger. Getting on the freeway after the first day as I moved over from the on ramp to the slow lane I was at 105 mph and did not realize it. So my vote is get the Iridiums!! moesperformance.com $6.95 each shipping included.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My only concern about the iridiums is that when I talked to Autolite about them a few years ago they said "Don't use them in a street car. You'll just burn up the combustion chambers." I had asked the local auto parts store (mostly for a laugh) and they admitted to not knowing anything, but when I called Autolite he specifically said not to use them in a street car.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i'm a dcx certified tech and i highly recommend the iridiums. Yes it is true platinums need to be left alone when talking about most dodge engines with obd2 or newer. I run nothing but ngk iridiums in all my cars and my customers cars.
about the burning up the combustion chamber? um i personally didnt sell that guy the crack but i wish i could have

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
i'm a dcx certified tech and i highly recommend the iridiums. Yes it is true platinums need to be left alone when talking about most dodge engines with obd2 or newer. I run nothing but ngk iridiums in all my cars and my customers cars.
about the burning up the combustion chamber? um i personally didnt sell that guy the crack but i wish i could have
X10 lol

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i read that and im thinking "oh killer only 6 bucks and change" and then im like... oh damn 16 plugs... thats gonna be on the list for sure tho.

So you really achieve that much more combustion by adding iridium plugs? in terms of you can feel it in your pants when you gun it? under 100 bucks for a noticeable difference is pretty solid.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
no you wont get seat of your pants with any plug that i've ever experienced. Iridiums and mileage kinda depends. Now if your running a stock car, with no major mods, theres no better option than just stock champions or ngk v powers. Iridiums are used more in the case of performance. Forced induction, nitrous are great applications and at that level your replacing plugs more often than when they are due. Could you go 100k with low levels of mods yea probably. Iridiums are more about making better of a good situation , such as using 91 octane. Its not a must by far but if your gonna do thing, your gonna need it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Which one's from Moes? They all say 5.7L? Would I use the same for an SRT8? 2313/2314/2315?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
so lets say i run 93 oct(with predator - btw i only get 93 in houston, no 91) and have a new CAI and full exhaust.

worth it to run Iridiums would you say? i mean, i spend tons in gas(between stomping the pedal and commuting) and a 100$ investment could be worth it if there is a noticably better increase in gas mileage and even the slightest performance gain

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
so lets say i run 93 oct(with predator - btw i only get 93 in houston, no 91) and have a new CAI and full exhaust.

worth it to run Iridiums would you say? i mean, i spend tons in gas(between stomping the pedal and commuting) and a 100$ investment could be worth it if there is a noticably better increase in gas mileage and even the slightest performance gain
x2 except I'll only have the predator 91 octane and CAI. I'm due for my spark plugs in 2k miles and wondering if it's worth spending the extra $4 per plug. Lat time I saw NGK iridiums were about $7 a plug. So yeah $3x16 does sound alot better price wise. Unless I'll actually get more mileage out of the Iridiums and my dealer won't give me crap for not changing them as often.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
This is a hotly debated topic with few consistencies. Conventional wisdom says that copper spark plugs produce more power than the longer life platinum or the newer iridium. In the end, there really is no concrete evidence one way or the other as any dyno testing of spark plugs results in differences that are far less than the dyno tolerances from run to run.

One thing though, the Iridium's will last longer and require less voltage to fire em'.

Things to consider:
OEM recommendation: Champion copper (can't go wrong here)
Costs: regular plugs 60 bucks every 30K or 120 bucks for Iridiums (not sure on mileage numbers, as there are none recommended, but more then 30K)
Voltage: Iridiums use less, so in theory, they perform better under a more varying electrical load condition.
Facts: copper vs all others.... see above

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input guys!
I don't have alot of performance mods but I am looking to squeeze a little more mpg out of her and if I can run longer on the plugs and get a little more power out of her, all the better.
Think I will go with them.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Plagerism from ngk = Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)

I recommend iridiums as i have never,performance or daily, since a plug failure in a dodge with iridiums. They have been ultimately reliable in my supercharged focus/ neon r/t with 20 psi boost and nitrous, and 96 neon with 100 shot. With coppers, which are great , the failures get amplified with mods in my experience. I'd say they are worth every penny of $6 each and would do them strictly for piece of mind myself. However your pocket book is you number one factor. I do all my own labor so 116 for plugs aint bad.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Plagerism from ngk = Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)

I recommend iridiums as i have never,performance or daily, since a plug failure in a dodge with iridiums. They have been ultimately reliable in my supercharged focus/ neon r/t with 20 psi boost and nitrous, and 96 neon with 100 shot. With coppers, which are great , the failures get amplified with mods in my experience. I'd say they are worth every penny of $6 each and would do them strictly for piece of mind myself. However your pocket book is you number one factor. I do all my own labor so 116 for plugs aint bad.
Well I'd be doing the labor too. I'm not paying 1.5 hours of work to change spark plugs. It seems like a pretty straightforward job except for the two in the back of the engine. Where's the best place to buy them for that price? I might order them online ahead of time if I can save a decent amount of money.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i'm not sure which vendor' s carry them but make sure you check with ngk.com as they list prices on there and lots of autoboners and oreallys want to charge more than that. It's against forum rules to post a link to a company that is not a supporting vendor but there are some companies out there if none of our vendors carry them.

All the plugs are easy cheesy, bout 45 min job on our car and same motor takes 3.5-4 hours on a ram. (ask any ram owner who has done this change how they feel about they're brake booster , haha) Having a ratchet wrench will save you over sockets on firewall side.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!
I don't have alot of performance mods but I am looking to squeeze a little more mpg out of her and if I can run longer on the plugs and get a little more power out of her, all the better.
Think I will go with them.
See that's just it, there are no real MPG gains to be stated from using these plugs. Unless someone can find them somewhere. Just going from 89 to 91 octane fuel, you will see a boost in your MPG. As for power, I think the Iridium's perform better with a leaner A/F mixture. This could be a good thing since the Predator will allow changing the fuel tables.

As for a stock R/T or Daytona hemi, I see no real benefit buying the expensive plugs.

I always say, if it makes you happy, go for it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
With the Iridiums I should be able to go atleast 60k on a lightly modified car though right?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
With the Iridiums I should be able to go atleast 60k on a lightly modified car though right?
100 bucks for 60k miles and iridiums

50 bucks for 30k and copper?

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
100 bucks for 60k miles and iridiums

50 bucks for 30k and copper?

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout:
yeah but if you're getting a cleaner more consistent spark those 60k miles ins't losing the interest on $50 not to mention the hassle of doing the job twice worth it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts