Charger Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the Piney Woods of East Texas. I just took delivery of a SE, Bright Silver Metallic on July 2nd. It has to be the very best value in the U.S. I road tested it at 250 miles for MPG; drove 433 miles at 70 mph on 16 gal = 27.06 MPG. I was torn between a 300 and the Charger with tire road noise being a big factor due to many nearby roads being layered with a rough, noisy, pebble surface. So I road tested the Charger and a mid price range 300 and the 300 was a little noisier proving my long standing theory that aluminum wheels transfer more noise than steel.
Some have asked why I did not get a HEMI(R) and my answer is; at 73 I no longer care for very rapid acceleration and I got most of that worked out some 40 years ago.
In the early '60s after a stint of driving gas and fuel dragsters I decided to build some fuel dragsters for sale to others. Bending thin wall tubing at a radius of 6-8 inches had always been a nightmare due to it wrinkling or collapsing so the first thing I did was build a one of a kind bending apparatus that would produce a perfect bend in both the thin .050" and thicker .125" wall tubing being used for frame rails, front axle and roll bar. I had a 12" lathe and the front spoke wheels were built by hand by machining the hubs from solid 3.5" dia. aluminum bar, fitting tapered roller bearings and installing wheel chair spokes from the hub to 17" motorcycle rims. Lacing the first one of these with no one to show you how is not easy. Scattershields were hand made using a 14" dia.X .25" thk, steel pipe cap with a flange welded on to fit the engine and a bearing housing welded in for the drive shaft which was made from a combination of two different shafts with one U-joint at the rear end. The rear end was a narrowed Olds with the axles either cut and welded or later on sent out for shortening and resplining. Alignment of the engine and rear end is critical for the car to run straight so I had an alignment jig made from pipe that fit the rear end pinion bearing and either a SBC or Chrysler hemi engine main bearing saddles. The front spring was a combination of a discarded VW torsion bar and 3/4" drive sockets with arms welded on. On one car in '63 I hand built what I think was the first ever rack and pinion steering on a dragster and later on in 1964 this car set an AHRA "D" fuel dragster record at 7.96 sec and 192 mph with and injected 292 SBC and about 70-80 percent nitro. I built a TF car for Gary Watson, a rush job built in 10 days spare time, before he started campaigning "wheel standers" nationwide and one weekend he was in Houston with the fuel car and lo and behold "Shubert and Herbert" are there from Calif. Gary had always ran very conservative with 40-50%, but loaded it up with about 80% to run them for TFE, got a slight hole shot and led them all the way to the trailer. The color photo is of a car I drove one summer. http://members.aol.com/ellisbrasher/HOU06FEBgw.jpg http://members.aol.com/ellisbrasher/CORPUSS.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts