Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A month ago I picked up a 07 Charger R/T and have been adding a couple of mods. So far I've done a full SS Magnaflow Catback, and Mopar CAI. Today I ordered the DiabloSport Predator and the Jet 180 T-Stat.

I live in N. Cali and our gas here is made of cat piss, 87-89-91. Currently I'm using 89 as the book says but I was planning on going with the 91 and doing the 91 CAI Canned tune for starters. Being as our gas is terible out here has anyone had any problems using Cali 91 Octane with the 91 CAI tune? Also does the CAI tune require any other mods other then a CAI? And what kind of power gain should I really see as im sure the number thats claimed is not accurate.

Last but not least, any recomendations of the next step to mod after the Tune? Looking for the biggest bang for the buck! Thanks in advance Guys!:driving:

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Hey guys,

A month ago I picked up a 07 Charger R/T and have been adding a couple of mods. So far I've done a full SS Magnaflow Catback, and Mopar CAI. Today I ordered the DiabloSport Predator and the Jet 180 T-Stat.

I live in N. Cali and our gas here is made of cat piss, 87-89-91. Currently I'm using 89 as the book says but I was planning on going with the 91 and doing the 91 CAI Canned tune for starters. Being as our gas is terible out here has anyone had any problems using Cali 91 Octane with the 91 CAI tune? Also does the CAI tune require any other mods other then a CAI? And what kind of power gain should I really see as im sure the number thats claimed is not accurate.

Last but not least, any recomendations of the next step to mod after the Tune? Looking for the biggest bang for the buck! Thanks in advance Guys!:driving:
Clawski,

Congratulations on the 07 R/T Car! I agree, the fuel in California especially is bad due to the CARB rules on gasolines and a limit of 91 octane fuel with ethyl alcohol.

The best suggestion to protect your engine from this crap gas and also support the Diablo Predator is to use ACES IV Gasoline Formula in your fuel. There are many posts about it and you can go on our website to find out more info.

Here is a link for you to read in depth.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105569

Again welcome to the obsession! :beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040 :driving:

·
Registered
136 Posts
It will be a night and day difference when you use the 91 CAI tune. I had almost the exact same setup when I started.
As for the gas no Idea on that one I would think that the 91 there should be ok as long as you are not going crazy with it on the track for hours at a time.
Last the next mod I would do is either a torque converter or the Getrag LSD rear end.

Congrats on the new ride and have fun with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Clawski,

Congrats on the R/T, there a blast. I'm in the SFBay area and just picked up the Predator a weeks ago. I've been using the 91 CAI canned tune (w/gas) and it's been working great. I'm still waiting on the 180Tstat, but have changed the items below. I would say the TCM reset and disabling MDS (removed the pulse) have made huge impacts on my driving experience and a nice power gain has been felt.

Set Options:
* 91 Octane Performance CAI Tune
* Tire Size = 285/40/20 (Overall Height: 28.94")
* Shift firmness = Increased
* TCM adaptive = Reset
* Speed limit = 165
* EGR Disabled (Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve)
* MDS Disabled (Multiple Displacement System 8 to 4 cylinder switching)
* Idle RPM Drive/Neutral = -100

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
silver,

why drop the idle speed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Part Duex,

For me, the Tune increased my idle too much for day to day driving so I've lowered it as a test for the next couple days. The idle speed made me feel like I was ready to race at every stop...but thats not a bad thing either :D

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
welcome from San Diego!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the replies guys!

Clawski,

Congratulations on the 07 R/T Car! I agree, the fuel in California especially is bad due to the CARB rules on gasolines and a limit of 91 octane fuel with ethyl alcohol.

The best suggestion to protect your engine from this crap gas and also support the Diablo Predator is to use ACES IV Gasoline Formula in your fuel. There are many posts about it and you can go on our website to find out more info.

Here is a link for you to read in depth.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=105569

Again welcome to the obsession!

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040

Thanks Brian, I think im gonna try both the 91 and 93 tunes and see how things look, then next month try em again with some Aces IV Added!

It will be a night and day difference when you use the 91 CAI tune. I had almost the exact same setup when I started.
As for the gas no Idea on that one I would think that the 91 there should be ok as long as you are not going crazy with it on the track for hours at a time.
Last the next mod I would do is either a torque converter or the Getrag LSD rear end.

Congrats on the new ride and have fun with it.

Thanks Sfccharger, Im having a blast with it already. I upgraded from a pontiac sunfire so you can prolly guess im playing with the HEMI a lil bit :bigthumb:

One of my good friends recomended a Converter as well, my other buddy says springs/kit since my R/T's loaded except for no actual Road and Track option. It could use an update for handling the power. Im not to sure what a Getrag LSD rear end is but im gonna see what Info I can dig up, Thanks!

Clawski,

Congrats on the R/T, there a blast. I'm in the SFBay area and just picked up the Predator a weeks ago. I've been using the 91 CAI canned tune (w/gas) and it's been working great. I'm still waiting on the 180Tstat, but have changed the items below. I would say the TCM reset and disabling MDS (removed the pulse) have made huge impacts on my driving experience and a nice power gain has been felt.

Set Options:
* 91 Octane Performance CAI Tune
* Tire Size = 285/40/20 (Overall Height: 28.94")
* Shift firmness = Increased
* TCM adaptive = Reset
* Speed limit = 165
* EGR Disabled (Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve)
* MDS Disabled (Multiple Displacement System 8 to 4 cylinder switching)
* Idle RPM Drive/Neutral = -100

Awsome, thanks Silver_Surfer. When you disabled your MDS did you notice much of a loss in MPG? Or did it kinda offset the MPG (Said to be) gain that the Pred Tune adjustments made?

welcome from San Diego!

Thanks FinallyCharged, love it here already!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
this is place is an addiction man, trust me when i say that!
name is Julio :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Since you don't have 93 octane out there I would recommend trying Brian's ACES IV, as for best bang for the buck, a cam, or high flow cats would be my recommendation. As for the CAI, no you do not need anything else, as for gains I really can't say, I would think maybe 10RWHP? CAI doesn't do a whole lot until you get more mods, same with exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, You can't imagine how much MarylandSpeed has made my day! To make a long boring story short without any work drama, I ordered the DiabloSport Predator and 180 T-Stat late Wen. night from their website as a first time customer. Well after a crappy day I come home today to find my package on my doorstep. It looks like it got here at 9 AM this morning. WOW Im so excited I wasn't expecting it to arrive till mid to late next week with ups ground but 40 hours later....thats F'n Awsome. :rocker:

I had a date tonight, but poor girl is gonna have to get flaked on, cuz tonight im gonna be playin with some big boy toys ;p

I have to admit im pretty nervous, I don't want to harm my new baby in any way so im going to read up on the Diablo FAQ again to make sure im not missing anything important. My plan is to just go with the 91 CAI tune for now, and turn off MDS. I currently have about a 1/4 Tank of 89 octane left....Should I just top it off with 91 for the tune ya think? Or would it be best to drive it out tonight and start fresh with 91 and the tune on Saturday? Any thoughts on anything else to be mindfull of at this point? Also is the Pred best used with a PC laptop, mines at work and im thinken maybe I should head back and grab it for the weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts