Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the Dodge site and specific information about pricing for the Charger SRT8 is sadly lacking. I did find some information on edmunds.com but I fear it's quite optomistic. One thing I did note on edmunds site is that the Charger SRT8 is going to have a gas guzzler tax of $2100.00. Can anyone verify this? I'm quite interested in buying one of these cars to add to my collection. I know, I know, I'm not a dyed in the wool MOPAR fan, in fact, I've never owned a MOPAR. I do, however, like to keep my options open and the Charger would seem to fit right into my plan. Even, in spite of the car being a 4 door (sorry, did I say taxi :) ). Don't have a cow. I'm just kidding about the taxi thing.

I did pay a $1300 gas guzzler tax on my GTO. The automatic version of the 05 GTO has the tax. The stick version does not. What I find interesting about that is the 05 GTO comes with the same LS2 engine/tranny combos that the Corvette and SSR come with in 05. Neither the Corvette nor the SSR have the gas guzzler tax on either the stick or auto version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I very easily could be. Isn't the engine in the Charger SRT8 and the Magnum SRT8 the very same (maybe others as well). However, I notice that the Magnum SRT8 doesn't have the gas guzzler tax. I believe the Charger is built in Canada and the Magnum is built in the US. Hmmm, my GTO is built in Australia and the Corvette and SSR are built in the US. Anybody besides me see the issue? Or am I all wet?

I've always enjoyed fast cars and now I can finally afford them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Charger, Magnum, & 300 are all built at the same plant in Canada. Origin does not effect the tax.

The gas guzzler tax is based on the EPA mileage rating. I would guess the Corvette does ok milage-wise due to weight. The SSR and the Magnum are Trucks/SUVs so they are exempt. The Charger and 300C SRT8 do get hit with the gg tax as passenger vehicles.

:happy:
Try building one at www.kbb.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70gt6 said:
The Charger, Magnum, & 300 are all built at the same plant in Canada. Origin does not effect the tax.

The gas guzzler tax is based on the EPA mileage rating. I would guess the Corvette does ok milage-wise due to weight. The SSR and the Magnum are Trucks/SUVs so they are exempt. The Charger and 300C SRT8 do get hit with the gg tax as passenger vehicles.

:happy:
Try building one at www.kbb.com
Crap, I thought I was onto something! :confused:

What do you think the curb weight of the Charger SRT8 will come in at? More, less or the same as the Daytona?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, that 35K fugure is right, it allows the Charger to be the saem out the door price as the Magnum, after you add in the 2100 GGT. Fully loaded, with GGT included, the Charger ends up MSRP around 43K, just like the Magnum. The Magnum does not carry the GGT becuase its wagon body style gets a truck classification. All SRT-8s will share the same 6.1 liter engine.

All the LX body vehicles (300C, Charger, and Magnum) are built in the same plant, in Brampton, Ontario. No discrimination. My guess about the Vette not having it would be that it's lighter than the GTO, by about 500lbs, and it has a different transmission.

Either one of those facts could push it over the edge so it passes. The SSR, like the Magnum, passes as a truck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can not imagine a significant difference, most major components are basically the same. The option list will cause the greatest difference.

The base price for the Charger does include the GG tax. They did very well keeping the price 2 grand less than the Magnum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can not imagine a significant difference, most major components are basically the same. The option list will cause the greatest difference.
Those wheels gotta weigh a ton. Well, a few pounds more anyway. :wink:

Thanks for the information. It looks like it'll fit right into my budget. I believe I'll only want the group 1 & 2 options.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
70gt6 said:

The base price for the Charger does include the GG tax. They did very well keeping the price 2 grand less than the Magnum.
Just to make clear, the price of 37K would include the GGT, the 35K would not. When you first pull it up in Edmunds, you get this

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/dodge/chargersrt8/index.html

2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 Styles
MSRP Price Range: $38,095
But then, when you click the 4dr sedan link below that to get details, you get this

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/dodge/chargersrt8/100640711/prices.html?action=1

National Base Price (excludes destination charge)
MSRP Invoice

$35,320 $32,893

Please, understand, it's not possible to get an SRT-8 Charger for 35K. It's just not. Not if your paying MSRP. That 2K must be added to the 35K. Now if by some miracle you cna get the car for invoice at 32, then the 2100 GGT would make your deal 34100.

They cant choose not to charge it, its a federal requirement.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I can verify, per my order (and as others have already stated), there is a $2,100 gas guzzler tax on the Charger SRT-8.

$43,115 with all options +sunroof (MSRP)

I was talking with one of our VPs that has a Z06 Vette and he said the way the got around the GG tax was that the trans goes from 1st to 4th when rpms dictate. That got them the better mileage rating. Plus it is a bit lighter.

Charger SRT-8 curb weight is 4,160 lbs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Please, understand, it's not possible to get an SRT-8 Charger for 35K. It's just not. Not if your paying MSRP. That 2K must be added to the 35K. Now if by some miracle you cna get the car for invoice at 32, then the 2100 GGT would make your deal 34100.

They cant choose not to charge it, its a federal requirement.

I guess I worded that post poorly. I ment that the two cars should cost about the same not including the ggt. Look at the R/T versions. But if you look at the SRT8 verions they are still about the same - Charger with $2100 ggt and the Magnum without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I just hate to pay any taxes I don't need too. 2k isn't an insignificant amount. But if ya gotta, ya gotta!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Tyrod said:
Thanks guys, I just hate to pay any taxes I don't need too. 2k isn't an insignificant amount. But if ya gotta, ya gotta!
Hey Tyrod, I see you also own a GTO, what would be nice when you get an SRT8 is to write up a comparison between the two cars.

For me the only major draw back to the GTO is the fact that it's not 4 doors. Must make it easy to get the rugrats in and out of the car. Though I do like the idea of a 6 speed and the engine class.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a member of both this and LS1GTO forums also, being a fan of muscle cars period. GoatLover is registered here somewhere on the forums also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts