Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking this forum for quite a while reading various topics and finally decided to register and make one of my own. I'm absolutely set on making my next car a Charger, but I still have a lot of question marks that are up in the air.

To cut to the point, I think the SRT8 Charger is the most amazing looking vehicle ever, but I'm a little intimidated to realistically pursue it as a potential purchase. What appeals to me about it has nothing to do with the engine/performance/etc, it's entirely about appearance. My initial plan was to get an SXT and make it look like an SRT8 (hood scoop, honeycomb grill, etc) since I don't really need a 6.1 liter gas guzzler, but at the same time it would be really awesome to have the power (seeing as I've never owned anything but four cylinder vehicles).

I've been waiting for the 2010 chargers to come out before getting one, and now that they're out I'm anxious to close the deal. I've already test driven both an SXT and a Dub Edition SXT (incredible), and I love them.

If there's a chart or comparison image or something, of the differences between all the 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 and SE/SXT/RT/SRT8 chargers, I'd love to see it. For the most part it looks like the charger has remained unchanged visually since 06, but if such a chart/image exists I'd love to see it.

If nothing else, what all would I need to do to an SXT to make it look like an SRT8? Beyond the hood scoop and grill, are the trims any different at all? The only difference I can really see is that the SRT8 rides a bit lower.

Any and all help is appreciated. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. I may end up just getting an SRT8. Money isn't really an issue, rather I'm afraid of something happening to it whenever I park and leave it (I live in the car theft capital of the country, good old phoenix arizona).

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
All years are about the same only minor changes like the 09+ have different taillights.

If i were you i would find an earlier year 06-07 SRT8 in good condition. If your patient/lucky you can find yourself a great deal. good luck

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
If money is not the issue and you really like the SRT8, then get one like they said. 06-07 Charger SRT8. The problem is you convince yourself that you just want the looks, and then after you spend the money to do so, you then say hey I am a poser. You then say well maybe I could put in the 5.7L Hemi because I can make it a little faster. Then you realize that when you put that motor in, the car is really sluggish in handling so you decide to change the springs, and shocks and get the Brembo brakes and the suspension pieces and next thing you know, you have spent more for that modified car that STILL isn't an SRT8 and you will be angry. Trust me....get the SRT8 and enjoy. The gasoline mileage isn't that much different and the extra goodies you get with the package will constantly make you smile......for sure.

Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Well, you're the only one who knows your mind. Whatever you do, plan carefully and as Brian and the gang point out: pick the right car.

I know, you're asking us for that help. We can only offer our experiences. First up, in general the 2009 model got different tail lights. Some like them, but I think the common consensus is thumbs-down. The 2008 had a huge radio antenna on the roof which was removed again in 2009. Otherwise year-to-year there aren't real differences. Model-to-model gets a little more complicated. The SRT8 is the only car that looks like that. The SE through R/T look mostly the same, with different grilles and wheels being the most obvious differences. Interior toys change dramatically throughout the models.

Know that there's basically no real difference in fuel economy between the v6 engines and the 5.7L Hemi. Those all get about 19MPG on average. The 6.1L Hemi is worse, around 15MPG on average. Performance-wise there's a huge jump when you get into the 5.7L Hemi and another one when you go 6.1L They drive like different cars.

Now, appearance. In my case I was planning a car I'm going to drive for 10 years. It's my daily driver, with heavy city use and no track use. After a year and a half I've still barely hit over 50% of my car's top speed. Given all of that, I did the math on expected mileage differences versus car price differences. Personally, I settled on an R/T with Road & Track and then I spent thousands of dollars to have the SRT hood and fascia put on my car. It's still badged an R/T, but it looks the way I want it to. I get the mileage I want and long-term it'll be cheaper than the SRT8 I don't need. In effect I paid for the look without the meat. But that's what I wanted, and I'm still happy with that decision.

So. My advice is that if price isn't a serious issue you should probably look at the R/T model or higher. The difference between a Hemi-powered Charger and one without is vast.

If you've got more questions, by all means, ask.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's say I did get an SRT8. How much more expensive is the maintenance going to be compared to an Accord LX (my current vehicle)? Keep in mind I'll only ever be driving this thing to and from places like work, mall, grocery store, etc. I'll never be racing it or taking it to the track or anything like that. I ask because I've heard a lot of people say that the brakes get worn out really fast, and that they're extremely expensive to replace. What else could this forewarning be applied to?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Let's say I did get an SRT8. How much more expensive is the maintenance going to be compared to an Accord LX (my current vehicle)? Keep in mind I'll only ever be driving this thing to and from places like work, mall, grocery store, etc. I'll never be racing it or taking it to the track or anything like that. I ask because I've heard a lot of people say that the brakes get worn out really fast, and that they're extremely expensive to replace. What else could this forewarning be applied to?
Premium gas and i think oil changes cost more the SRTs. Hopefully someone can explain with more detail soon.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
anytime you have a performance vehicle, maintenance costs will be higher. Tires are more expensive, break pads, oil changes, etc. It's a great thing we have people like Brian (370 Hemi) who makes great products to increase intervals between things and keep our cars running stronger longer. I plan on placing my order for some QB Oil and Aces IV soon!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The brakes on my SRT went bad at less than 25k (it just happened). I think that sucks, but I believe that brakes are going bad on all the Chargers prematurely. It was expensive because the rotors were worn out as well as the pads.

I've vowed to do a lot less stopping from now on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As far as mileage goes, I actually get a little better mileage on my SRT than my Daytona. Right now I average about 19 with a mix of city/highway and I'm in the pedal alot. I have taken a trip, all highway at 70mph and got 22 with the SRT.

My daytona had a CAI and diablo 93 tune as does my SRT. I did disable the MDS in the Daytona though, because the vast majority of my driving was country roads at 60mph and the MDS was actually hurting my mileage. The SRT does not have MDS.

If you take a test drive in both, an SRT and an RT, I think your mind will be made up for you just by the press of the GO pedal:rocker:

Either way you can't go wrong:bigthumb:

·
Registered
345 Posts
As far as mileage goes, I actually get a little better mileage on my SRT than my Daytona. Right now I average about 19 with a mix of city/highway and I'm in the pedal alot. I have taken a trip, all highway at 70mph and got 22 with the SRT.

My daytona had a CAI and diablo 93 tune as does my SRT. I did disable the MDS in the Daytona though, because the vast majority of my driving was country roads at 60mph and the MDS was actually hurting my mileage. The SRT does not have MDS.

If you take a test drive in both, an SRT and an RT, I think your mind will be made up for you just by the press of the GO pedal:rocker:

Either way you can't go wrong:bigthumb:
I agree with this, if you thought an SXT was amazing, just take a R/T out... then take out the SRT8, between the 3 I am sure you will FEEL the difference.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dont forget about insurance

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the vastly improved interior on the 08+ models.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before we purchased our srt8 we test drove a 2010 r/t road and track, the wife loved it! but wanted the looks of the srt8, so we test drove an srt and she was instantly smittin for the car... maybe an idea could be to get a road and track and then modify the looks, that seems middle of the road... lol or go find yourself an srt 6 lol

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'd test drive an R/T or SRT,at least the R/T, and then make your choice. I don't need all the power in the world, but the 3.5 was not enough for me so I chose the R/T. I went with the intentions to get an SRT but none of the local dealers that did have one would let it go, and the B5 blue SB with group I,II and III that was available would have been $69?.?? from the $285.?? I pay now so I went with the R/T! I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
The brakes on my SRT went bad at less than 25k (it just happened). I think that sucks, but I believe that brakes are going bad on all the Chargers prematurely. It was expensive because the rotors were worn out as well as the pads.

I've vowed to do a lot less stopping from now on.
I'm sure the person in front of you won't be too happy about that. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I Have the 09 sxt and it's justvwhat suits me and my daily hour commute. The extra power would be amazing but insurance, maintenance and not being able to go over 45 when I actually drive it the most would be kind of irritating. Specially if I was to have so much power and not be able to use it.

It seems that most people on here have more love for the v8's than the Sxt an for Manu reasons. I live my Charger because its a Charger, having a smaller envine doesnt mame it a Faux Charger. If youre not caring much about envine sise and want hella moda go with the SCT and go wild since youll sabe a pretty penny. If PowerPC comes first them of course go with the higher end models, either way i would safely say that the consensus (mine included) is to not go lower than the 3.5 V6 Sxt. Good luck in your search! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a question guys, is there a big difference in the SXT engine on a '06/'07 & a '10?
Cause I have an AFE (stage 2) cold air intake for a '06/'07 3.5L, will it fit a '10 3.5L?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I have a question guys, is there a big difference in the SXT engine on a '06/'07 & a '10?
Cause I have an AFE (stage 2) cold air intake for a '06/'07 3.5L, will it fit a '10 3.5L?

It will fit.

They upped the HP rating a little, that's about it.

If you have a question, it's a better idea to start your own thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts