Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the mopar CAI, and was wondering what should be my next mod...I here all this stuff about heads, cams, flashes, tuners...stage 2, stage 3...its getting me lost...someone care to explain plz :p

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think catbacks is a good place to start because it is a necessary mod that get gain hp from, and a great sound. Also, it is fairly inexpensive. If you still want to take it farther, get headers and tuner next.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Agreed i just bought my Daytona in August and my first mod was AFE stage II and just got my exhaust put in today and patiently waiting on my predator and next month JBA shorties hopefully but after that theres not much i can do besides big mods like cams etc etc and thas out of my price range for a bit. WOT!

·
Registered
342 Posts
If your main purpose is power, then you have to let your car breathe better:
-cai
-headers
-catback exhaust
-etc

You might also want a better handling car, therefore look into suspension upgrades:
-shocks
-springs
-swaybars

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet thanks for all the info guys...can anyone explain the tuning and flash info...i got a computer science degree but i dont understand the concept on this :p

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cars nowadays (or for a while now) cars have computerized electronics that control the performance of the car. From factory, the cars' parameters are setup a certain way and not optimized, but the aftermarket tuners allow us to change the parameters and increase performance, if performed correctly. The program is stored in memory (EEPROM perhaps?), so if you wish to return to stock you just upload the stock program back.

So if you think about it, as a CS major you might have written computer programs and later tweaked them to make them more efficient, run faster, etc. That's what tuning is basically lol

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cars nowadays (or for a while now) cars have computerized electronics that control the performance of the car. From factory, the cars' parameters are setup a certain way and not optimized, but the aftermarket tuners allow us to change the parameters and increase performance, if performed correctly. The program is stored in memory (EEPROM perhaps?), so if you wish to return to stock you just upload the stock program back.

So if you think about it, as a CS major you might have written computer programs and later tweaked them to make them more efficient, run faster, etc. That's what tuning is basically lol
ahh okay, so im guessing these devices, the tuners/flashes are already optimized for the best performance possible...so is it like a plug and play thing, where i connect it to the car and then it automatically sets up the best settings, or do i have to play with it?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
ahh okay, so im guessing these devices, the tuners/flashes are already optimized for the best performance possible...so is it like a plug and play thing, where i connect it to the car and then it automatically sets up the best settings, or do i have to play with it?
There are 2 ways to achieve this. One is a B&G Flash. This entails removing the PCM and installing a new one. THink of it as replacing the hard drive. The other is using a tuner, such as superchips, or the new diablo. Those plug in to the vehicle, and upload new software. There are several different options as to which version of the software you wish to install, which will allow you to change different parameters software. They are plug and play. To add to what others have said, for performance upgrades, I would say to get your exhaust breathing better, and order a diablo, which are supposed to start shipping tomorrow. Those should keep you busy for a while unless you have gobs of mod money available. Once those are done, look into the various head/cam combinations available from our supporting vendors. STage 1, stage 2, etc, primariliy refers to how aggressive those head/cam combos are, as far as increased power and performance. The higher the stage, the more aggressive the power output.

·
Registered
676 Posts
First mods are exhaust work for sure. A good cat back system is easy to install and will help all future mods to make more power. A set of headers is more expensive, but will further increase power and any potential power gains from other mods. Headers can also change your power curve on your vehicle. Shorty (short headers) headers will give you high gains in the upper RPM range but not much in the low RPM range. Long tubes will give you high gains in the lower RPM range and decent power gains in the high RPM range. Mid pipes gives you a good mix across your entire RPM range, but won't give you as much total power as the long tubes.

Programmers are easier than any exhaust mod, you just plug it in and answer a few questions and it will install a pre-set "can of tunes". This is how the Predator will work. B&G you will have to send in your PCM to them, but they will/can give you a "custom tune". If you have a bunch of mods already done like cat back, cold air intake, headers, etc then this may be the best bet because they can input all of these variables into your tune.

Hopefully this helps some :)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are 2 ways to achieve this. One is a B&G Flash. This entails removing the PCM and installing a new one. THink of it as replacing the hard drive. The other is using a tuner, such as superchips, or the new diablo. Those plug in to the vehicle, and upload new software. There are several different options as to which version of the software you wish to install, which will allow you to change different parameters software. They are plug and play. To add to what others have said, for performance upgrades, I would say to get your exhaust breathing better, and order a diablo, which are supposed to start shipping tomorrow. Those should keep you busy for a while unless you have gobs of mod money available. Once those are done, look into the various head/cam combinations available from our supporting vendors. STage 1, stage 2, etc, primariliy refers to how aggressive those head/cam combos are, as far as increased power and performance. The higher the stage, the more aggressive the power output.
ahh sweet...thanks for the info...no gobs of money or i woulda got a superbee srt8...so i settled for an r/t...and doing a superbee theme...but I will do as most of u say...exhaust then the diablo.

so its either or...u either get a tuner like diablo...or u get it flashed with the B&G...u cant do both?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I think I just saw Josh post that soon there will be B&G's that diablo can tune. The thing with B&G is that it is a custom tunes based on which mods you have done to the engine. I dont know much about them to be honest. I dont know what happens if say you change the cam or exhaust. Maybe wiser minds than mine can elaborate?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First mods are exhaust work for sure. A good cat back system is easy to install and will help all future mods to make more power. A set of headers is more expensive, but will further increase power and any potential power gains from other mods. Headers can also change your power curve on your vehicle. Shorty (short headers) headers will give you high gains in the upper RPM range but not much in the low RPM range. Long tubes will give you high gains in the lower RPM range and decent power gains in the high RPM range. Mid pipes gives you a good mix across your entire RPM range, but won't give you as much total power as the long tubes.

Programmers are easier than any exhaust mod, you just plug it in and answer a few questions and it will install a pre-set "can of tunes". This is how the Predator will work. B&G you will have to send in your PCM to them, but they will/can give you a "custom tune". If you have a bunch of mods already done like cat back, cold air intake, headers, etc then this may be the best bet because they can input all of these variables into your tune.

Hopefully this helps some :)
Thanks Guys, im learning something everyday...I feel like I can take my car apart and put it back together..NOT!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i get it now...i basicaly just have a cai...so if i was to get this predator diablo thing...i would connect it to my car...then basically set it up saying i just got a cai...then send it to manufacturers to customize it for me then i plug it back in then im good to go?

if i was to get header and a cam..then i would send it back to the manufacturers letting them know i got new mods, and they would customize it again?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
No, the B&G is the one you have to send in. The diablo has a bunch of pre-set parameters, and things you can change yourself. For example, You can tell it to run the vehicle based on 91 octane, which will tell your computer to adjust timing etc etc. You can tell it to change when your shifts happen, ie 5800 rpm vs 6100, or to not shift when in Autostick until you shift it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, the B&G is the one you have to send in. The diablo has a bunch of pre-set parameters, and things you can change yourself. For example, You can tell it to run the vehicle based on 91 octane, which will tell your computer to adjust timing etc etc. You can tell it to change when your shifts happen, ie 5800 rpm vs 6100, or to not shift when in Autostick until you shift it.
ok so would my thread prior to this be correct if i said b&G...if yes...then i get it...but i do understand the diablo concept...i guess you do your own tuning.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
yeah to a degree. It will function much like a superchips, but with much more that you can control or change.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah to a degree. It will function much like a superchips, but with much more that you can control or change.
ok thanks man..last question would it make sense to get the diablo now...if everything is stock and my CAI isnt here nor installed yet?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
yes, especially if you can find a group buy still open. You can change the settings as many times as you want, unlike the B&G which you have to send in a pay for each change.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes, especially if you can find a group buy still open. You can change the settings as many times as you want, unlike the B&G which you have to send in a pay for each change.
ok cool, thanks alot

·
Registered
676 Posts
Getting the Predator now or later will result in the same outcome. You will pick up some power either now or later.....so you may as well get it now and shop for something else later :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts