Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the search function, but didn't really fine what I was looking for.

Ok, I've had my Charger R/T for about a month now, and after reading some info on these forums and other websites, I've decided I want to put in a cat back exhaust. I'm leaning towards the Borla system. The thing is, I'm completely new to this modding stuff. Never done it before because I've never had a car worth doing it on.

Do you buy the equipment from one place, then take it to some sort of aftermarket shop for the installation? Or can you just buy it and have it installed at one place? I guess I need to know what to look for in the phone book. Body shops? Aftermarket Mods Shop or what? Anyone know of some good places in the Dallas area by any chance that does this stuff?

Sorry for all the beginner questions, but I would really love some of the forum's input on this. It will help a ton.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
hey we all gotta start sometime.... :)

Now no matter what type of system you want.... find the best price on the system, if it is a slip fit system that requires no welding, and is a direct replacement... you may even want to tackle the install yourself....

I have had 2 vehicles I did exhaust swaps on so far, the first one... I found the best rpice I could on a Gibson kit... and due to limited tools/space... I ended up taking it to a muffler shop to install it... they charged me $40 bucks out the door... no tax.... no reciept.... this is a small locally owned shop... retail chains will charge upwards of $100 to install....

2nd vehicle I found the best price possible on a Magnaflow.... installed the exhaust in my driveway.... took about 2 hours including removing the stock exhaust...

Now since cars are harder to crawl under then lifted trucks... :D find a shop locally that rents out lift space.... there is a place up the road from me that I can rent a vehicle lift for 15 bucks an hour and stand under my vehicle while I work rather then roll around on the ground.....

I am sure others will chime in shortly as well...

oh... almost forgot.... Welcome aboard :wave:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
as for the aftermarket exhaust there are a few ways you can go. 1. buy a borla/magnaflow/flowmaster and install yourself....the instructions are easy...all you need is the ability to jack the car and a few tools (i did mine myself and it took a couple of hours and i was piddling around). 2. find a place that will buy and install the exhaust for you...i found it is difficult to buy an aftermarket mod in my area and have someone else put it on...just not much of a market in my area for that type of job. 3. have a muffler shop create a custom exhaust for you.

use the search toward the top to help find just about anything you want to know....there are a ton of guys that love the car just like us and are very knowledgable.

good luck and have fun modding...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
also one great things about car clubs/webforums... if there is something you are not comfortable doing... someone on the website who is near you might be comfortable doing, and will lend you a hand...

I have done about 60 mods to my current ride... and have done mods on over 60 other trucks in the club I belong to for it.... so who knows... you might find a member like me locally who owns a 4 ton jack and 4 6-ton jackstands and has done pretty well everything to vehicles in the past... :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
wish you lived close to me friday night, i was pulling the bumper and had a hell of a time getting one damn screw...took me forever to get it but finally did....boy was i getting frustrated. lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
What part of Dallas? I might could set something up for you if your in the Arlington area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
needasrt4, I'm in Irving. PM me and maybe we can cook something up.

gserp4sox, that video of the Zoomers exhaust was pretty cool. I went to Magnaflow's site and that sounds good too. I may need to hear this stuff in person. Its tough to get the low end sound from my little computer speakers.

Here's what I'm kind of looking for. I want a low, rumbling sound that will scare the crap out of people. No coffee can weed-wacker sound here. It need to sound fat and tough.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the zoomers is a little bit more aggressive than the Magnaflow but we went with Magnaflow with long tube headers, its super aggressive

·
Registered
755 Posts
Slugworth said:
needasrt4, I'm in Irving. PM me and maybe we can cook something up.

gserp4sox, that video of the Zoomers exhaust was pretty cool. I went to Magnaflow's site and that sounds good too. I may need to hear this stuff in person. Its tough to get the low end sound from my little computer speakers.

Here's what I'm kind of looking for. I want a low, rumbling sound that will scare the crap out of people. No coffee can weed-wacker sound here. It need to sound fat and tough.
You will get noticed with Zoomers installed on your Charger R/T... The great thing about our exhaust is that you hear it when you want to hear it. ie: When you nail the gas! The muffler design produces a rich low mussle car sound that deepens more after the break in period. You might scare the c--p out of someone on the outside of the car but never on the inside. What I mean by that is a "Resonance Free Ride" no drone... at any RPM. We are running a group buy right now, check it out: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12469#post12469

Also check out our technology page on our web site: http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/zoomers_technology.htm
This explains about our patented muffler and tip design and how they work. Lots of other good stuff too...Welcome to the modding world, your gonna love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aperformance said:
You will get noticed with Zoomers installed on your Charger R/T... The great thing about our exhaust is that you hear it when you want to hear it. ie: When you nail the gas! The muffler design produces a rich low mussle car sound that deepens more after the break in period. You might scare the c--p out of someone on the outside of the car but never on the inside. What I mean by that is a "Resonance Free Ride" no drone... at any RPM. We are running a group buy right now, check it out: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12469#post12469

Also check out our technology page on our web site: http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/zoomers_technology.htm
This explains about our patented muffler and tip design and how they work. Lots of other good stuff too...Welcome to the modding world, your gonna love it.
I am giving serious consideration to this mod as well. My biggest concern is that I carry a lot of passengers (customers) during the week and I don't want to have to shout over the muffler. So you are saying that it will give you a deeper sound without sacrificing the interior noise level?

Also, what sort of impact does this have on the warranty (sorry if this has been asked/answered before)?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Jester said:
I am giving serious consideration to this mod as well. My biggest concern is that I carry a lot of passengers (customers) during the week and I don't want to have to shout over the muffler. So you are saying that it will give you a deeper sound without sacrificing the interior noise level?

Also, what sort of impact does this have on the warranty (sorry if this has been asked/answered before)?
First there are no warranty issues with cat-back exhaust... of any kind. Secondly we do eliminate drone or cabin resonance while crusing around town or on the freeway. You'll find you won't have to talk over the exhaust, maybe at W.O.T. but who cares at that point that's when you want to hear that mussle car sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This may or may not be off topic, if it is, sorry.

I Think I had about 1500 miles on my car when I put on a Drop in K&N, and installed my Zoomers. Up to that time, I was probably averaging 23 MPG. I even got as high as 24.5 MPG.

Once I installed the Drop in, and Zoomers, my MPG went down to 21.5 MPG. Pretty big drop. I figured I'd let the car get used to the new setup, and put 3 tanks of gas in it, and continued to average 21.5 MPG.

There has been alot of talk about resetting the computer, and I think most of us don't know really what goes on with it, but after the 3rd tank, I finally disconnected the Negative on my battery for about 30 min. ( after just filling up ).

WoW. I got 25.47 MPG out of that next tank. I could tell that MDS was running more often, and the shifting seemed firmer.

Just from this experience, for those adding intake, or exhaust Mods. I would highly recommend resetting the computer.

Again I don't understand it, but one would figure with less restriction, better MPG. I didn't see that gain until I reset it. In fact I lost about 2 MPG after the mods.

Go figure. ;)

Tric

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
great info tricster!!!

thanks...adding the mopar cai in two weeks...this week i am adding springs to see what that does to the aesthetics and the ride...then on to cai, then a month or so headers and then...........it never ends!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts