Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 06 Hemi just threw a cel , p2181
"coolant system performance" on my cheapo Harbor Frt reader.
Temp gauge never goes past center. Digital readout steady at about 210.
I have never noticed fan on radiator turn on. Car has 112k miles and has been well cared for since new. It is about to be a donor for a Smyth Kit!
Any thoughts on a fix? Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My first thought would be if a lower temp Tstat has been installed. Without the tune being adjusted, it will throw that code because the PCM never sees what it thinks should be proper temp. As if, say, a 180 or a 190 degree Tstat has been installed the PCM thinks the 203 is still there and throwing the code.

Check coolant level, make sure it's topped off. Have a look at the temp sender and make sure it's plugged in properly and that the wires are all intact.

Check fan operation. Have someone turn the A/C on and off while you watch the fans. Then let it idle until it gets to temp and see if they come on.

You're not overheating, so I'm leaning towards the fans operating properly.

I have a feeling a lower temp thermostat has been installed though.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I would test the cooling fans...the best way is with an advanced scantool like AlfaOBD or DiagFCA...and if they're working properly, just clear it and keep going. P2181 comes up from time to time from letting a Charger warm up in place instead of driving it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fast Response! thanks. Never had a tune to my knowledge. purchased from original owner. only mod seems to be K/N cold air set up. will check out fans and temp sender. No easy access to a better scanner. If the Tstat was changed out would gauge still shoe 210-220?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Fast Response! thanks. Never had a tune to my knowledge. purchased from original owner. only mod seems to be K/N cold air set up. will check out fans and temp sender. No easy access to a better scanner. If the Tstat was changed out would gauge still shoe 210-220?
It's possible since the fans don't come on until then. It should read lower on the highway if a lower Tstat has been installed.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The PCM expects the coolant temp to change at a certain rate. If the rate of change is too slow or too fast the PCM will set this code. Problem could be low coolant level, ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor, ECT wiring harness/connector, or the thermostat (even the factory thermostat if it's sticking or slow to respond to temperature).

Reactions: MoparManiac!!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts