Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New (to me) owner of a 2016 Charger R/T Road & Track. LOVING it, and was not expecting the greatest gas mileage with a Hemi. Having said that, after driving the car for 2 weeks I also wasn't expecting 13/22 either. I thought I would at least get 15/25 but I can't seem to get there.
Coming from a Jeep Commander that got about 9 MPG, I'm not necessarily complaining, just wondering if this is the norm or if I have a bad case of lead foot! I'm trying to take it easy on her so I can get a somewhat accurate gauge of MPG, but wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. Tires are at 37, using premium gas, don't drive in sport mode... Any suggestions? Or is this par for the course?

Thanks in advance,

New chick on the block

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I don't drive an R/T so I can't verify what the norm is for mileage but it seems you're MPG is not as good as it could be.

If you are not required to use Premium I would step it down a grade. You have cylinder deactivation on your model and if you take it easy on the accelerator it will activate at cruise and help with mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! As far as I know, I’m not “required” to use premium, I was told it is recommended for optimal performance 🤷‍♀️

I’ll try using regular and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
That's about par for the course. Check your tire pressure. I usually keep mine at about 35psi all around.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ditto to What RitzRT said.....I Use 89 oct.....Don't worry too much whether you're keeping it in 4 cly mode all the time.....IMO..it won't help that much....I typically avg 14.7 city and 19 hwy...So.,, in a way...I envy you getting 22 hwy...Also, I think where you live dictates the blend of reformulated gas..and hence, MPG...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
BLH:
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new to you Charger. I am thinking that yours likely has the 3.06 axle ratio like my '14 R/T AWD does. The window sticker says 15/23, and that is pretty close when I keep my foot out of it.
The best so far has been 25 on the highway from fill up to fill up with no idling. Reality though, is an average of 18-20 depending on whether the driving leans more to in town or highway.

Don

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bump it down to mid-grade, 89 octane. It doesn't need premium. I noticed it gets slightly better mileage on 89 octane than 87 octane.

If you're running the air conditioner a lot, even on the highway, you'll see a slight decrease in mpg.

I'd say I drive 75% highway / 25% city and my combined average mileage was:
'07 SXT 3.5L v6: 25 mpg
'12 RT 5.7L v8: 24 mpg
'15 Pursuit 5.7L v8 AWD: 21 mpg

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
13/22 is close to the MPG I was getting with MDS disabled, driving in AutoStick mode with a 91-octane custom tune. My mileage went up to 15/25 after installing shorty headers & updating the tune.
I have the R/T Road&Track with a NAG1 5-spd transmission and 3.06 rear gear ratio. Not exactly a apples-to-apples comparison with your car's configuration but the MPG is still in the same range.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Took my 2018 SP on a 60 mile trip, mostly interstate/tollway. I was in no hurry & kept the cruise at the posted speed limited which was usually 60 or 70, but did bump it up a bit a few times to get around someone. Was probably about 50 miles into the trip & was getting over 29mpg. But then there was a backup & slowdown which cut down on that figure. But I still got my friends house with the EVIC showing 27.3mpg. Quite amazing if you don't push it. However around town with some brisk acceleration it's usually about 15mpg.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just got back from a ~1000 mile road trip, pretty much all interstate highway with three occupants plus luggage. The info on the dash was saying 26 MPG. How accurate that is... I dunno. I suppose I could figure mileage the old fashioned way. (Mine is the 5.7 R/T too)

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input. This helps a lot. Love this forum and how quick everyone is to answer questions.

I’m still learning all the ins and outs of this car as I bought it used from a Toyota dealership so they couldn’t tell me too much more than I already knew.

Funny thing is, I was looking for a convertible Mustang or a convertible Camaro. I went to this dealership to test drive a Mustang and this 2016 beautiful Charger was sitting next to it. And that was all she wrote! I’m in love with this car...best decision I ever made!

Is it wrong that I actually get up in the middle of the night to peek out the window and look at how purdy she is?! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Is it wrong that I actually get up in the middle of the night to peek out the window and look at how purdy she is?!
Seems normal to me (y)

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Same here!

I have a 2017 R/T and a heavy foot sometimes and average about 15mpg! Most of my driving is in town and not on the freeways!

As mentioned, check your tire pressure and make sure it is up to par.

You can also make sure you change your air filter at least once a year! Maybe sooner if you live in a dusty area!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your suggestions... filled with 89 yesterday, took the tires down to 36 and took her out on the freeway. Happy to see 27.4 MPG 🙌

·
Registered
161 Posts
That sounds more like it. My 14 R/T Road &Track usually averages 19 with a mix of city/highway and long highway trips are in the 27- 28 Mpg. Long highway its all about finding that just right mph and locking in the cruise control

·
Registered
336 Posts
18 R/T using 89 octane and mostly short trips in traffic and I average 17-18. I do use sport mode occasionally and A/C is almost always on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2010 R/T normally gets 16/24 with the best mileage I ever achieved being 28.6 MPG (all highway). I also only use 87 Octane gas from the start. IMHO, the gas mileage you achieve seem to primarily depend on 2 things: (1) The traffic - if the other drivers would get out of my way I probably would have achieved 30 MPG the night I drive all night; and (2) The nut behind the gas pedal - as tempting as it is to stomp the gas especially off the line, slow smooth accelerations give you the best gas mileage. Good luck!!

ADDED: My R/T's sweet spot seems to be around 75 MPH on cruise control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to put premium gas but that didn't benefit me in anyway except cost more (that too in California!).
I still had to get fuel injector carbon deposit removal around 60K mi.
Now I swear by the user manual - it suggests you use 89 octane and 35 psi for tires.

As for fuel economy, my stock 2014 Dodge Charger R/T RWD (5.7 L) recently gave me an average 27.3 mpg and top 28.5 mpg in a 1000 mile road trip with plenty of uphill miles.
Funny thing is that it was my friend who actually bumped my fuel economy that high! She usually just rides a motorcycle but she showed me the trick - smooth and constant acceleration (she must have been doing 65-70 mph) and no braking. Oh and I usually turn off traction control to squeeze out the best fuel economy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
anoorag.saxena
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing