Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

im new to the charger world…been a general hot order for years, all the way back to the late 80s.

this is my first charger, and my first “electronic hot rod”!

about 3 weeks ago, I acquired a 2013 charger police interceptor from the Claiborne co, GA sheriff’s office.

I’m deep in love with this baby already! It is smooth, fast, and lovely!

now I need to juice it up. So far, all I know about the PI package is that my horn doesn’t work, the trunk has limited access, and Dodge charges too much for a little nipple style chrome hubcap…

Things I need help on:

horn wiring: took it to the dealer, they quoted 560$ to “rewire” the horn to make it work. A horn wiring diagram for 2013 would be most appreciated!

PI package: any features, quirks, etc. would be cool to know….the dealer is either tight lipped or clueless about what it means to own a PI model…for instance, a spare donut doesn’t fit in the trunk well, there is no jack or lug wrench…I acquired a spare from a civilian car and even it doesn’t fit….there is obviously some sort of mounting bracket in the back of the trunk, but it has been removed…the mounts and nuts are still there, but nothing else. What goes there?

I’d really like to soup this baby up some more, but there are one million charger mods available, and I have no idea which ones are “worth it”…any recommendations for exhaust, chips, fuel injectors, etc are most appreciated!

my only current real maintenance problem is that the rack is whining on low speed turns…dealer tells me it’s bad, can be replaced for 1,500…parts and labor. Yikes! Is there a good aftermarket rack that anyone would recommend? The dealer rack is 770.00. Detroit axle brand on Amazon is 310.00. Any good? Any other aftermarket brand better? I don’t mind paying extra for the top notch stuff, but 770 for the factory version, plus 77 each for 2 outer tie rod ends seems a bit much!

thanks so much! Already done quite a bit of reading, very impressed with the knowledge here already…any guidance anyone can offer is really appreciated!

signed,

New Charger Lover

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
It helps if you can do some of this stuff yourself as the dealers are usually outrageous with everything they do.

The horn is just a cut wire somewhere as that's what they use for the siren toggle.

On the spare, most Pursuits came with a full size spare and there was a bracket in the trunk to mount it vertically. So that's the easy thing to do, just get another bracket and whatever else you need.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
It helps if you can do some of this stuff yourself as the dealers are usually outrageous with everything they do.

The horn is just a cut wire somewhere as that's what they use for the siren toggle.

On the spare, most Pursuits came with a full size spare and there was a bracket in the trunk to mount it vertically. So that's the easy thing to do, just get another bracket and whatever else you need.

Quite the oppsite. Most got a space saver. If they did get a full size it set out of the wheel well at and angle.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
Welcome fellow Pursuit owner.

As stated horn wise, chances are good the wires were cut somewhere. Just start tracing them to find it. Of course look for voltage at the horns, then check fuse and or relays as well.

I do not recall exactly, but I am nearly confident a full size spare will not fit in the wheel well. The space saver however will. I can get photos of mine if you want.

How much does it whine? Your car has a electro-hydrulic system. So it will make some noise with electric motor running the pump. If you can get a video that would be best.

Far as mods, I highly suggest having those take a back seat until you can make sure the rest of the car is in good shape. All fluids exchanged, get a used oil analysis on the engine see how metal wear levels are.

I will say though, the 8.4 Uconnect upgrade is possibly one of the easier, and best upgrades to have though off the bat as it enhances your driving alot specially if you get SRT pages enabled.

Later on tonight when home I will post a few photos.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quite the oppsite. Most got a space saver. If they did get a full size it set out of the wheel well at and angle.
Full size spare was listed as standard feature on pursuits. It seems like a lot of the time the spare ends up being used since it's the same rim and tire as the other 4 and the hardware is missing or not holding it down.

·
Premium Member
2021 Hellion Twin turbo 392
1,474 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
177 Posts
Full size spare was listed as standard feature on pursuits. It seems like a lot of the time the spare ends up being used since it's the same rim and tire as the other 4 and the hardware is missing or not holding it down.
Now you make me want to look at mine, but since I'm out of state for train, my trunk is stuffed up past the uterus......

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
2015+ got a full size as standard. No option for compact but a inflator kit.

However 11-14 the compact spare was standard while full size was optional.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
2015+ got a full size as standard. No option for compact but a inflator kit.

However 11-14 the compact spare was standard while full size was optional.
OK didn't know about the older ones, I just remembered seeing the vertical but takes up some space for sure!

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
It was standard prior to 2015. Attached is 2014. I know the older ones had compact spare, I don't know when it started.
Not according to the 2014 Specs and Features sheet I have access too. Compact Standard. Full size optional. Shows same for 2012 as well. Didnt check 2013. And on the many Pursuit groups I belong to majority have compact spare.
Rectangle Product Font Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not according to the 2014 Specs and Features sheet I have access too. Compact Standard. Full size optional. Shows same for 2012 as well. Didnt check 2013. And on the many Pursuit groups I belong to majority have compact spare.
View attachment 306391
Strange. Mines also a mopar document. Maybe it changed in the later half of 14 and never got updated in all of their media. We know those sheets have been wrong before with the transmission types and some odd other things.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Must be a split year or updated media thing. There are two different 2014 brochures. One says full size spare is available and awd is "late availability". Another says full size spare is standard and awd has no extra note about awd.
You usually can't mix wheel size with awd so maybe it was easier to make full size standard all around or compact spare doesn't clear BR9 brakes? In another post someone said they needed to get a different size spare because of that.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
Must be a split year or updated media thing. There are two different 2014 brochures. One says full size spare is available and awd is "late availability". Another says full size spare is standard and awd has no extra note about awd.
I would imagine it would conincide with all the late 2014 changes made such as the BR9 brakes, the Secure Park Feature, Seat re design amongst other things.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
A space saver spare would really surprise me in any pursuit rated vehicle. I have never seen an in service police car with one in it, or on it.
The RFP sheets I have seen, spec a full spare to be included. Now, a non pursuit vehicle could get by with one, but a marked patrol car would lose it's pursuit ability, due to the SS spares very low speed rating, not to mention how it may or may not handle.

A number of departments would remove the spare, to create more room for equipment/radios in the trunk. With the Ford Taurus though, the rear end crash spec of 75 mph was done with the full sized spare mounted as designed in the trunk. I seem to recall Ford issuing a memo stating that the spare needed to be intact for the 75 mph rating to apply.

Don

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the horn, park in a quiet place, open the hood, take off the under hood fuse and relay box cover, and press the horn. If you hear the relay click then the issue is going to be downstream of the relay. As said earlier the wire is probably just cut before it reaches the physical horn. That’s what mine was also.

Compact spare should fit. It kind of sits in there at a strange angle not flat like you would see in most cars. Nose down rear end up, IIRC.

The electronic power steering will make a high pitch whine when turning that is noticeable at low speeds. If it is truly whining I would check your power steering reservoir fluid level. It’s located in front of the front passenger wheel well and you do have to remove several the plastic clips from the wheel well to pull the wheel well back to see it. If it’s leaking they sell a replacement O-ring kit for I think something like 30 to 50 bucks. I would check all these other problems before spending any money on a rack and pinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts