Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I recently purchased a 2009 charger R/T. I'm super happy with it. I have owned Honda prior to this, and Ive just got to say, the hemi is incredible. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some of the specs. I know stock its looking like 360hp and 398 ft lbs of torque out the door. When I purchased the car it came with flowmaster duel exhaust. The seller couldnt tell me what series it is. I have searched for a serial number but can only find patent numbers. Anyone know how to tell what series? Also how much hp and torque does this exhaust system add?

Also, I am really pleased with this vehicle and I am very confident in it. I want to take it to the strip this coming spring and wax any mustang that wants to challenge. What are some affordable mods that I can start on now?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Big congrats on the new car and welcome to the site. The exhaust isn't going to add much if any HP to the car, but the flowmaster sure does sound good. So no harm there.

Long tube headers, possible gear swap, higher stall converter and a tuner will get you down the road faster. Keep in mind these cars weight in around 4200lbs and the mustangs are in the 3500lbs. That weight difference give them a big advantage. With a few mods you can be pretty competitive against alot of them.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Congrats!

If it's a full catback exhaust with resonators and the bigger tips that have flowmaster embossed on them it's most likely the force two system...if there are no resonators and basic tips it's the American thunder series which makes use of the 40 series mufflers opposed to the super 44s the force two uses. Basically the American thunder is very loud and drones, the force two has a nice mild tone with minimal drone.

Exhaust on the cars flow pretty well..although if your RT isn't a road and track model the exhaust on the car probably gave you 5-10 ponies..that's being very generous. Although without a tune you may have lost power because of the bigger diameter pipes compared to stock. Stock RT pipes are 2.25 in diameter, most aftermarket are 2.5-3 inches in diameter. The flowmaster systems for the RT are 2.5 inches.

Quick easy mods are a tuner, CAI (best with tune), high flow cats/catless mids...those are your cheaper mods. Gear swap is pricey but will get you moving a lot quicker. Headers...shorties are a waste of money, long tubes net you some power but usually only when you have some other serious business going on under the hood...plus long tubes + installation = big bucks.

As far as beating mustangs...no way you'll ever beat a 5.0 unless you drop some serious cash into your new ride. Their power to weight ratio is way too much for us 4k pounders to handle. But with some basic mods you'll be very competitive with older stangs and most other cars on the road.

With an 09 you've got the eagle engine which is great...you've got more power and efficiency out of the box than the older chargers.

Have fun and enjoy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im am pretty sure that I am definitely working with the force two system. It is the full system with resonators and flowmaster embossed on the muffler tips. It is pretty loud inside and to me it drones heavily, but the only other exhaust I have experienced would be a stock that came on a honda civic Si.

I do want to compete with the mustangs. Mainly because on my side of town everyone and their cousin owns one. I feel like I will at least smoke the V6 mustang and the GT. Isnt the 5.0 like the SRT8 of ford? I would love to compete with the 5.0 but I didnt plan on smoking it because I was under the impression it was fords SRT8.

I took my car to the garage the other day and it looks like I am going to be getting some modifications done soon.

My stepfather has been into drag racing his entire life. I dont know the specs on his car but he ran a 73 challenger mainly and various other cars. His first recommendation was exhaust headers. Which seems accurate considering the more air being funneled=more power. He also was throwing things around like getting a new throttle body, oxygen sensors, and lastly after I took care of smaller things, a performance chip.

I have a lot to learn about increasing performance on cars. Buying the charger is the only reason I have become interested in it to be honest. I have learned that everyone has something different to say. One person says a certain mod will boost alot and others say it wont do much. So I guess its going to boil down to trial and error and personal preference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts