Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a Widebody scat a few weeks back and was curious if anyone else has experienced this issue or if I'm just overthinking this. I've noticed when trying to change lanes the car has a mind of it's own. It's feels like I'm fighting to change lanes followed by some serious float once I do change lanes(not sure this makes sense.) It catches me off guard but seems to quickly recover. I only have around 200 miles on the car and chalking it up to tire break in. It came with the 305 Pirellis and I remember hating them on my R/T as well. Tires are set to 36 psi. For now I'm just being careful not to accelerate hard while changing lanes and just doing my best to not try and correct it. If I do try to correct it almost gets worse. So my question, anyone else experienced and how long did it last?

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
62 Posts
It does and now that you mention it, the first few days of driving without it I didn't notice it as much.
I had lane sense on my 2017. I hated it and kept it turned off.

Reactions: bluedabear

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
159 Posts
I've driven several brands of vehicles with it, and sometimes it's just plain dangerous - you tend to overcompensate when it kicks in and you almost throw yourself into another vehicle... or off the highway. I hate it.

Reactions: bluedabear

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
967 Posts
If you never had lane assist it can take some getting use to. If you let go of the wheel while driving straight down the road, if you drift off one way or another it will steer you back in your lane.

On the Car note, you should be following the proper break in period. This will naturally break in the tires.
Also if you never owned a car with this much power, that in itself is another thing to learn and be careful, you can get in trouble real quick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you never had lane assist it can take some getting use to. If you let go of the wheel while driving straight down the road, if you drift off one way or another it will steer you back in your lane.

On the Car note, you should be following the proper break in period. This will naturally break in the tires.
Also if you never owned a car with this much power, that in itself is another thing to learn and be careful, you can get in trouble real quick.
I've been mostly good about the break in. Keeping it under 3500 RPM's for the first 100 miles took some discipline, LoL

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I've found that tires don't feel like they get REAL grip until you've got 400-500 miles on them. But I think others may be on to something about the lane sense. It's easy to disable and then see if you feel the same sense of slop.

Best,

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I never heard of a tire break-in period. However, after reading several sites, Tire Rack recommends 500 miles of easy driving to wear off the mold release agent. Whudathunk!

As far as lane assist goes; never had it and really am not into anything more than a backup camera. I probably don't know what I'm missing by not having lane departure, parking assist, adaptive cruise control, and side warning.

I have no clue how I survived all these years without it. I can even travel across town without the need for GPS.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Funny thing is, I rode a Super Sport Bike for 8 years, bought a brand new 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R and I always had to break in the tires, mostly the rear. I was a tool and loved the twistes. You had to baby the rear but yet push it to get all of that slick coating off. Those things were very slippy until you got to the good rubber. I never thought about it for car tires though. Since car tires on these Chargers that are rear drive, I would imagine one nice burnout would solve that issue.

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack WB
76 Posts
It both, lane BS and 305 front sneakers, I had to get lane to get HD headlights, BOTH now suck. LED Ram headlights for the win !!! Come on Dodge brothers !!!!

WB for the win

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I never heard of a tire break-in period. However, after reading several sites, Tire Rack recommends 500 miles of easy driving to wear off the mold release agent. Whudathunk!

As far as lane assist goes; never had it and really am not into anything more than a backup camera. I probably don't know what I'm missing by not having lane departure, parking assist, adaptive cruise control, and side warning.

I have no clue how I survived all these years without it. I can even travel across town without the need for GPS.
Adaptive cruise control is REALLY nice to have if you have a long commute or a long highway trip. I thought it was silly when it came with my Charger, but I wouldn't buy a new car without it now. The Tesla will actually go around a car that's forcing it to slow down below the set speed. It's kinda fun to watch. It slows down, checks the left lane, signals, moves left, speeds up until you're past the slow poke, signals, then switches back into the right lane. All by itself.

Best,

·
Registered
941 Posts
Adaptive cruise control is REALLY nice to have if you have a long commute or a long highway trip. I thought it was silly when it came with my Charger, but I wouldn't buy a new car without it now. The Tesla will actually go around a car that's forcing it to slow down below the set speed. It's kinda fun to watch. It slows down, checks the left lane, signals, moves left, speeds up until you're past the slow poke, signals, then switches back into the right lane. All by itself.

Best,
I have Adaptive Cruise Control on the Honda Civic & really like it when behind someone on a single lane road. I set it for 5mph or whatever above the speed limit & the car will go was fast as it can without hitting the vehicle in front. If they go 4 over the limit I'm right with them, if they go 1 below the limit then I'm still right with them & going as fast as I can.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I still prefer and enjoy the pure driving experience
Me too. It's got an on/off switch so you can go back to caveman mode whenever you want. :)

Best,

1 - 20 of 39 Posts