Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, been considering an audio upgrade, and I'm kinda digging this enclosure - haven't seen one like this before. I like the "stealthy" design, but would appreciate feedback from others more experienced in this area.
Waddya think? Will the subs be too muffled in this location when the seat is up? I'm thinking it don't matter too much for subs, but what do I know...:grin:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/06-Dodge-Charger...ryZ38647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
subwoofers generaly point to the back of the trunk to bbounce the bass off the back and make the bass hit harder with subs facing that way it wont hit as hard but with a good set of subs it should still sound good. the backseat up will make it a hit a little less but shouldnt make for any distortion. and thanks for posting that makes me want to get that instead of what i got. this looks a little cleaner

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I like the custom look of it for sure. Being able to have the trunk squared off in the back would look real nice, definitely a custom look. However, I personally believe that subs sound a million times better facing the back of the car. Then they can sort of use the trunk lid and back of the car to "reflect" off of and produce more efficient sound. Also, there have been countless complaints on her of rattling in our cars and I think that this box would probably make it sound ten times worse! Having the seats up with nowhere for the air to be pushed only allows it to go up where to airflow can be pushed.... and when I say "up," I am referring towards the back deck lid where your rear speakers are mounted----and thats the spot where most people say they have rattles.

Quick story, my first car was a jeep and I had a custom sub box for three 10s that faced down towards the floor behind the back seat. When no one was in the car in the back seat, I would lay the back seat down and put the box up on the seat back and have the subs facing towards the front of the car---much like how this is, subs facing the interior. It sounded terrible compared to when they were facing down with having the floor to reflect off of. Plus, with the subs exposed to the interior, you tend to be able to hear more distortion from the subs themselves (meaning sounds that arent bass that the speakers produce when operating from a moderate to high level).

I have heard cars with the subs facing this way that sound OK though, but I think they may have sounded better facing the other way around. I just think these subs would be too close to the seat back to sound properly, just my two cents. I do like the flush mount setup they have for the subs though so they dont stick out off the box when mounting, nice added touch. But if you want my advice, Id look for a box facing the other way.... thats what I have in the works! :D

-Pat

·
Registered
580 Posts
Agreed, I'd say 90% of the time subs do sound better rear facing when in an enclosure.

Just an FYI, I actually purchased an enclosure from that guy, however it was the rear facing. What was nice is that the guy who owns that business, Roger, was GREAT to deal with. He did a custom version for me that took off 2" in the back so I'd have room to mount my amps plus did a flush mount baffle on the front so the woofer would sit back. Didn't charge me anything extra!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, i actually like the look of that box. I've always been a downward firing type of guy and am really curious to hear how this box performs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Agreed, but isn't there a difference if the subs that are firing forward are sealed from the trunk rather than just sitting in the trunk facing forward.

The problem is the reverb isn't it. the sound waves canceling each other.

chadillac, what's your take ?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
that box is NO GOOD for the charger. i'll tell you WHY-with the seat up the woofers will be over pressured by the seat back and over time you will burn up the coil's on the woofers. plus your bass will be little or none with the seat up. BUT you can run a box like that IF you port the sides of the box with a 3 inch wide by 6 inch long port so the bass reflects off the sides of the trunk panels and than this box will work. another problem is the air space. most 12 inch subs take 1.25 air space in a sealed box and that box is a little to small so you will have to fill it with fiber fill to trick the woofers in to thinking that they are in a bigger box and that along with facing the rear of the back seat is forsure going to burn up the woofers over time. if you port the box it will still be to small seeing that most woofers need 1.50 air spce on a ported box and again you will have to fiber fill the box to trick the woffers to think that they are in a bigger box. and in the end they will hit 6 to 9 DB harder then in the sealed set up /but will still burn out the coils on the woofers over time. your better off going with this box www.zenclosures.com and they will build a box to your spec's

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'm actually planning on building an enclosure like this either this winter, or next summer. i already have 2 nice subs and a nice amp, and i'm pretty good at building boxes (its actually really easy if u have the equipment). i've been thinking a lot about the subs not having enough room to breathe w/ the seats up and i couldnt figure a solution. i'm only planning on running 10's, so i'd definitely say that the 12's need more room to breathe. i'm no sub audio expert or w/e but i really dont get how making the subs face backwards makes it sound better. i figure once i build my box and have everything set up i'll try it both ways and see what i like better...

btw i have some AWESOME ideas for my box. if anyone cares...
i'm doing some bondo work and i'm gunna be painting it black and mango to match my car, or maybe black and blue with a big mopar M on it...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
facing the box toward the trunk lid will build more pressure. BASS isnt a sound as much as it is a presure wave. by facing it back ward's it give's the pressure wave more time to build up and bounce off the trunk lid and crash in to the next oncoming wave. NOW if it was A ported box you have to go about it different-the port on a ported box needs to be 6 to 8 inch's from a hard surface or a corner of the trunk to make max pressure but you can run them further away if need be. if you run a sealed box facing to the back of the rear seat the carpet with suck up most of the bass-now if you put a hard wood surface in front of or over the carpet the subs would hit like crazy but it would over work the sub on both sides [being in a sealed box strain's them]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts