Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching about do i need to do a tranny flush/fill etc on these cars. I will be picking up a 17 scat pack charger in a few days with 50k miles and some have said to have the tranny serviced but then sometimes i read that changing out your tranny fluid can actually do damage somehow. I am coming from owning a silverado which is a sealed system so never had to do anything with it and i guess just needing some advice.

If i do need it serviced do i need to go ahead and drop the pan and get a new one since i was reading the filter is on the pan?

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
3,671 Posts
I have been searching about do i need to do a tranny flush/fill etc on these cars. I will be picking up a 17 scat pack charger in a few days with 50k miles and some have said to have the tranny serviced but then sometimes i read that changing out your tranny fluid can actually do damage somehow. I am coming from owning a silverado which is a sealed system so never had to do anything with it and i guess just needing some advice.

If i do need it serviced do i need to go ahead and drop the pan and get a new one since i was reading the filter is on the pan?
Your 17 has a sealed trans as well and SUPPOSEDLY has lifetime fluid in it. Won't hurt a thing to have the fluid and filter (which is built into the pan) changed.

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Just have the money handy if you decide to bless the dealership to change the fluid and integral pan-filter. If you do this yourself be sure to read up on the fluid level inspection process.

Attachments

· Registered
8,285 Posts
There's a great youtube video from John Kelly at Weber State University that details how to do it. I posted a link here along with compatible fluids a long time ago.

If it was my car, I'd change it. ZF has published recommended change intervals. I'm inclined to believe them (it's their transmission) more than FCA/Stellantis/whoever.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH

· Registered
8,285 Posts
Ghetto method:

Be careful when you empty the trans and capture all the fluid so you can measure how much came out.
Put THAT amount of fluid back in after changing the pan/filter.

Valvoline synthetic duramax multivehicle transmission fluid (available at Walmart) says it's compatible with ZF lifeguard 8/9 fluid (which is what this transmission calls for).

That'll save you quite a bit on the fluid. Good luck.

Best,

Reactions: Rocco392

· Registered
2,072 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum @Rocco392!

We're here to let you know our team is here as an additional resource if you need it. Feel free to send our team a private message at any time! We're here to listen.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts