Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 3.5 SXT RWD Charger. I was averaging about 17mpg, which I couldn't complain about because of how much I love my car. About a month ago I got some 20' rims and new Hankook tires. My mpgs have gone WAY down since then, I'm getting maybe 13-14. I drive 99% city, and my driving habits aren't horrendous. I know little to nothing about performance and improving my mpg. I'm looking at getting some of those mpgs back, I could care less for performance mods right now. I'd really appreciate some ideas that wouldn't kill my wallet. Thanks! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Take the 20's back off. the extra weight of the rims/tires is killing your mileage. Nothing much you can do to get it back. Rotational weight like wheels take a lot of hp to turn.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Also, what tire pressure are you running? Some cars are very sensitive to tire pressures, try adding 2 psi. and see if that helps. Run that for a week, then add 2 more psi... Don't exceed the max. pressure listed on the side of the tire.

My Spec-X tires (20") ran pretty well at about 40-42 psi. without feeling unstable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take the 20's back off. the extra weight of the rims/tires is killing your mileage. Nothing much you can do to get it back. Rotational weight like wheels take a lot of hp to turn.
I wish it was that easy. I traded in my OEM ones and got a good discount for them. Plus I love the way they look.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, what tire pressure are you running? Some cars are very sensitive to tire pressures, try adding 2 psi. and see if that helps. Run that for a week, then add 2 more psi... Don't exceed the max. pressure listed on the side of the tire.

My Spec-X tires (20") ran pretty well at about 40-42 psi. without feeling unstable.
I'm running the OEM tire pressure. The place I went to swapped them out and put em' in the new tires. I have Hankook Ventus As tires, the air pressure is supposed to be 45. I just checked and it's at 44, so it's not an air problem.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It's a weight problem. Nothing you can do about it other than getting lighter wheels/tires, or starting to do some performance mods to compensate for the additional hp needed to turn those wheels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a weight problem. Nothing you can do about it other than getting lighter wheels/tires, or starting to do some performance mods to compensate for the additional hp needed to turn those wheels.
Well what are some of those mods? I know about CAI and the Diablo Sport Predator, but I have no idea how much those help, let alone if they're worth it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What does the tire sidewall say vs OEM (door sticker) pressure?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
The wheels have zero effect on the speedo, it's the tire size

As for perofrmance mods, diablo, CAI, exhaust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wheels have zero effect on the speedo, it's the tire size

As for perofrmance mods, diablo, CAI, exhaust.
In your opinion which one would help the most? I've heard mixed results for Diablo and CAI in regards to mpg increases.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Can't say I noticed much of an increase with either on my car. I did notice an increase running the AcesIV from BND in my gas though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts