Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed the front and back coilovers. When I was threading in the upper strut bolts, I think I overtightened the left bolt on the rear right strut. It just keeps spinning now and wont tighten (lazy = Stupid me for not using a torque wrench). I think the torque specs are pretty light on that bolt. I am now getting a rattle sound from the back right side and it sounds to me like the upper strut is loose. I am guessing it was the bolt that I semi stripped. I took a peak from inside the trunk and I am thinking I will just get a Grade 8 bolt and use that to get it tight on that one bolt and see if that gets rid of my rattle. The bolt can be placed over the stud as it comes into the trunk. I am not sure what thread that is but I am guessing its a metric bolt. I will have to take the wheel of again and also double check all my torques on all the bolts I touched. Any other ideas what the rattle might be if it's not the upper strut mount bolts? That strut cant be put in backwards can it? I just threw it in thinking either way would be fine since it looked universal.

Here is the bolt / nut I think I messed up. The nut that is part of the frame from inside the trunk is what I think is screwed up The bolt is most likely ok. Will find out soon when I take it back off to investigate. Might try to fix the threads with a tap if I can confirm the tread of this hole.

Thoughts?
Pasted_Image_7_18_14__1_09_PM.jpg

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - the threads on the bolt pictured are M10-1.5 in case anyone has the same issues and needs a backer nut..... Used a thread checker on them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts