Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my R/T last saturday. I've put ~900 mi and have been meticulous about break-in driving. So, for this weeks trip I drove it from Ft. Worth to Lubbock via Hwy 80, a mostly two lane rural road with 55-70 mph speed limit and many small towns with 35 mph limits in between so I could vary my speed and rpm's easier; and it's a change of scenery.

So far I am disappointed in gas mileage. I know it's too early to judge, so I'll wait. My trip with a avg speed of 56 mph netted 18.2 mpg; calculated and EVIC were .3 difference. This was with very gentle acceleration and rural roads.

I may have an out of balance wheel, I had some steering wobble at some speeds.

It's great leaning over on the huge arm rest and relaxing on a long trip. I'm 6'3" 220lbs, so I am loving the size. I had an 04 Ram 1500 QC Hemi and this car reminds me a lot of it, except less cargo space and better mpg. It makes my other car feel puny when I get back in it.

It feels powerful, though I haven't had a chance to open it up yet; but, it doesn't feel like effortless power. Maybe that will change next week when I will get into the throttle a little more.

Door panel seems flimsy.

I have owned some nicer/more expensive cars but I don't recall getting as many lustful looks as the Charger gets.

I do wish it was lighter, thus faster. It's a little bit discouraging knowing a V6 Camry could embarrass (but not beat!) me.

I asked about this before I bought it; but due tot the fact DPS and many TX police use Chargers, it does seem that other drivers get over sooner and are less likely to cut me off. Probably my imagination.

I love the car!

Upcoming mods:
Engine: I will be swapping the ceramic oem cats with hi-flow metal substrate, Borla cat-back, and a CAI and Superchip flash as a soon as I get time. I'm hoping to get a few hp and mpg's.
Audio: Pioneer AVICD3, old school Punch 75hd Focal door speakers, old school ADS PS5 to Infinity 3.5 in dash, JL 500/1 to JL10W6v2. All but the 3.5's are from my old car. I have a Sept. 19 appointment for an install.
Appearance: In next few months powder coat stock wheels black with uncoated lip. I got the idea from a forum member, a red R/T if I recall.

I'll add more impressions and get pics up after the install.

2007 Charger R/T Stone White, protection and electronics pkg.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome from South Florida
post some pics of the HEMI. :smoke:

·
Registered
487 Posts
First to welcome you from Texas Brother!

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
We're practically neighhbors. I live off far south Bryant Irving. If you see a white R/T waving you down; don't be scared, it's probably me saying hi. :smile:
White RT? I'll have to keep that in mind. Mecha also lives in this area - as does Arfur. Was on Bryant Irvin today picking up some Chipotle!

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was a neighbor till last weekend. Lived south of Hulen off of Trail Lake. Who owns the PC Daytona around there? Anyone know? It is a beautiful car. Anyway, neighbor no more as I moved to Stephenville last weekend.

Welcome to the boards. This place is a great place for information. But reading here regularly will most likely cost you lots of money when you catch (or perhaps you already have caught) moditis!

Joel

·
Registered
885 Posts
God I hate it when people buy a HEMI then complain about getting 18 MPG. IT IS A 345!!! Come on. 18 is great for a 345, first of all, and it is entirely based on your driving. I get 18 per tank at the end of the week after sitting in traffic for 2 hours daily in DC rush hour, as low as 16.5-17 at times. On a good road trip I have gotten all the way up to 27 MPG going through the mountains of WV and western MD. Sure, I coasted down a lot of hills, but I sure gassed them getting up the hills, too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was a neighbor till last weekend. Lived south of Hulen off of Trail Lake. Who owns the PC Daytona around there? Anyone know? It is a beautiful car. Anyway, neighbor no more as I moved to Stephenville last weekend.

Welcome to the boards. This place is a great place for information. But reading here regularly will most likely cost you lots of money when you catch (or perhaps you already have caught) moditis!

Joel
Ladies and Gents, I think we've found Chargerville! All those Beasts in such a tight little area. Hehe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
God I hate it when people buy a HEMI then complain about getting 18 MPG...
I wasn't complaining. 18 mpgs being driven like a granny on fairly flat roads at an avg speed of 56 is below what many on the forum claim, I asked a lot of mpg questions on the forum before I purchased. According to your experience (27mpg) I should get at least 25 in those conditions, thus my slight disappointment. If it were 18 in the conditions you described, I'd be very happy. I expect it to go up as it gets broke in. Its just an observation, per the thread title.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
do you have AWD? that might have some effect on mpg, but i'm not sure. if it is just rwd then i'd say that you will definitely see a big improvement as it breaks in. are you running 89 octane? i'd expect to get about 26 or 27 in the conditions you described. i have to admire you for not opening it up though, i know i wouldnt have been able to drive that far without opening it up a few times lol. u must be a good man

·
Registered
349 Posts
:happy: Welcome fellow Texan

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah you should have NO problem getting above 20mpg with hwy driving. I would hold off on judging how much power you feel untill you A get on it, and B get some more miles on it. it seemed like mine wakes up more every day (3300 miles) and I hear its not fully ready to go till about 9k.

also heat and humidity play a HUGE roll in how these cars feel.

welcome to the family =)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Your mileage will get better when it breaks in. I get 19 in my commute and I have gotten as much as 27 on the highway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts